• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Got my first child-resistant valve oil bottles!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Got my first child-resistant valve oil bottles! Reply with quote

I've got basically a lifetime supply of Blue Juice so haven't bought any valve oil for a while but wanted to try Hetman. Recently got bottles of Hetman 1,2 & 3 to try out - they've got the push-n-twist caps.

Is this a gov't mandate? I just looked at eBay, the pics of Blue Juice I see still look like they have the non-childproof caps.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a bottle of Hetman a few weeks ago and yeah, it's the same, child-proof cap.

But it's easy to understand, that stuff's pretty tempting!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL of the Hetmans I've bought in the last six months have those child resistant caps. I'm fine with child safety devices, except in the case of these, they don't work correctly! Sure, the operation is simple, push down and turn. But the ones I have bought quickly degenerate to where you have to push them down with gorilla-like force to get them to open, one I had to eventually pry off with a screwdriver.

Hey Hetmans, your oil is great, but fix these damn things!

Brad
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, yes, I hate the childproof caps and they deteriorate too darn fast. I have a couple of empty Al Cass bottles. I washed them out with hot water, let them dry out and I simply pour the Hetman's into the Al Cass bottle, mark it Het #2 with a Sharpie, problem solved.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falado wrote:
Hi, yes, I hate the childproof caps and they deteriorate too darn fast. I have a couple of empty Al Cass bottles. I washed them out with hot water, let them dry out and I simply pour the Hetman's into the Al Cass bottle, mark it Het #2 with a Sharpie, problem solved.

Dave

Good idea, Hetmans really needs to correct those kid-resistant bottles their oil now comes in.

Brad
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the child ring from my bottle of oil.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I let my 2 year old use them while he is teething, and wait till it's broken, then they work just fine.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have no idea about the Hetman ones but the supposedly child proof Yamaha bottles are so ineffective that I can open them one handed, and I'm less good at opening bottles than my eight year old with learning difficulties, and have to get her to small bottles of Ribena designed to be put in kids lunch boxes.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just screw your old caps onto the new bottles. Child proof means YOU learn to keep dangerous things out of their reach... Kids can figure out anything if left alone with it for a while. Usually such attempts at deterring "Darwin" only hassle certain adult types.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Usually such attempts at deterring "Darwin" only hassle certain adult types.

I find revisionist history of Darwin fascinating. I wish people would look up the full, original title of is most famous book. Maybe they wouldn't quote him so much.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Craig Swartz wrote:

I find revisionist history of Darwin fascinating. I wish people would look up the full, original title of is most famous book. Maybe they wouldn't quote him so much.
Didn't realize I was quoting Darwin, only using his name iin the "Darwin Awards" sense for those who cannot/will not take care of themselves or their own.

I've never bought in to the entire evolution doctrine. If it was true, how come all the monkeys haven't evolved into humans yet, or why are there still amphibians or marsupials at all? Adaption, certainly, evolution from amoeba to human? Not so sure. If anything, humans seem to be devolving, headed back into the ooze. And that's 99% politics based.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Craig Swartz wrote:

Didn't he posit something like survival of the fattest which we Americans are bent on proving?
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People pick and choose how to teach history. For those that didn't look it up. Here are the titles of Darwin's famous book, interesting how the full title has been white-washed as time has passed.

On the Origin of Species (or more completely, On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life)
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
People pick and choose how to teach history. For those that didn't look it up. Here are the titles of Darwin's famous book, interesting how the full title has been white-washed as time has passed.

On the Origin of Species (or more completely, On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life)

I was exposed to this in the science classes, not history.

But at the end of the day I really don't think much about it nor care if others get all the details correct when they make a small reference that includes his name. YMMV.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Benge.nut wrote:

I was exposed to this in the science classes, not history.

But at the end of the day I really don't think much about it nor care if others get all the details correct when they make a small reference that includes his name. YMMV.

Uh...this.😐

Brad
Monster Oil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Got my first child-resistant valve oil bottles! Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
I've got basically a lifetime supply of Blue Juice so haven't bought any valve oil for a while but wanted to try Hetman. Recently got bottles of Hetman 1,2 & 3 to try out - they've got the push-n-twist caps.

Is this a gov't mandate? I just looked at eBay, the pics of Blue Juice I see still look like they have the non-childproof caps.

Yeah, the EU is requiring it now, so everybody is starting to shift over. We'll be doing it pretty soon too. But you guys are right, it's tough to find a decent bottle that isn't a PITA.
www.BrassChats.com
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about all of you, but I am saving my empty valve oil bottles to refill.

Monster Oil kindly sent me a sample of their product to try (I can't wait to get started on my evaluation of it); it came in a "vintage" Monster Oil bottle. Hmmm, I wonder how much it will sell for in the marketplace in about a year or two - the "1946, Large Bore, Martin Committee" of valve oil bottles?

Oh, and don't get me started on government meddling. When the government starts telling us what valve oil bottles we must all use, it is time for a revolution. Thomas Jefferson is rolling in his grave.

Regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.

Last edited by Grits Burgh on Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:
I don't know about you all of you, but I am saving my empty valve oil bottles to refill.

Monster Oil kindly sent me a sample of their product to try (I can't wait to get started on my evaluation of it); it came in a "vintage" Monster Oil bottle. Hmmm, I wonder how much it will sell for in the marketplace in about a year or two - the "1946, Large Bore, Martin Committee" of valve oil bottles?

Oh, and don't get me started on government meddling. When the government starts telling us what valve oil bottles we must all use, it is time for a revolution. Thomas Jefferson is rolling in his grave.

Regards,
Grits

I agree, it's just more of the government-as-big-brother. There are government safety regulations that are helpful, but like much of what the government does, it reaches a point of absurdity.

I don't know why specifically the Hetmans bottles don't work, but they DON'T; they reach a point where you can't get the damn cap off at all. As much as I like Hetmans, it's almost enough (almost) to make me change oils, they really need to correct it. Sure, I can rinse out some older bottles and put the Hetmans in there, but why should we need to do that?

Brad
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Got my first child-resistant valve oil bottles! Reply with quote

Monster Oil wrote:
Yeah, the EU is requiring it now, so everybody is starting to shift over. We'll be doing it pretty soon too. But you guys are right, it's tough to find a decent bottle that isn't a PITA.

If the design used on the Yamaha valve oil bottle would satisfy the regulators, then that would be my vote for the new Monster Oil bottles. Easy to use, not a PITA, IMO.

Piccolo Stomvi
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Got my first child-resistant valve oil bottles! Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
Monster Oil wrote:

If the design used on the Yamaha valve oil bottle would satisfy the regulators, then that would be my vote for the new Monster Oil bottles. Easy to use, not a PITA, IMO.

I've seen those, they work OK. I don't really have a problem with the Hetman products having a child resistant cap, but theirs "degenerates" to where it will not open at all, I've had to pry two of them off with a screwdriver.

Hey, in the grand scheme of things this is certainly not major, but it is a PITA.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: