• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Got my first child-resistant valve oil bottles!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Got my first child-resistant valve oil bottles! Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
If the design used on the Yamaha valve oil bottle would satisfy the regulators, then that would be my vote for the new Monster Oil bottles. Easy to use, not a PITA, IMO.

Agreed. Those are fine. I can even open those with one hand.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Got my first child-resistant valve oil bottles! Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
dstdenis wrote:
If the design used on the Yamaha valve oil bottle would satisfy the regulators, then that would be my vote for the new Monster Oil bottles. Easy to use, not a PITA, IMO.

Agreed. Those are fine. I can even open those with one hand.

Hi

Yes, so can I, and I have small child size hands, which makes me wonder whether they defeat the object of being child resistant.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, I just love having my hand held by the government. Not.

Thankfully, I have a bunch of refillable bottles from UltraPure and replacement tops. I'll keep using them (forever, if need be) before I'll use one of those ridiculous 'child proof' valve oil bottles.

What happens when a kid starts playing at a young age? Are they supposed to not oil the valves now because it's too scary?

Sheesh.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:

Thankfully, I have a bunch of refillable bottles from UltraPure and replacement tops. I'll keep using them (forever, if need be) before I'll use one of those ridiculous 'child proof' valve oil bottles.

What happens when a kid starts playing at a young age? Are they supposed to not oil the valves now because it's too scary?

Sheesh.

Yep, good points. It's a combination of government hand-holding and our litigious society, your kid swallows valve oil and gets sick? Of course you sue the manufacturer, CLEARY it's their fault.🙄

Brad
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did I ever survive being a kid in the 70s with out all these government regulations?!?!?!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
How did I ever survive being a kid in the 70s with out all these government regulations?!?!?!

Do you mean:
Eating actual (gasp) sugar, red meat and white flour, and God-forbid a peanut? Shooting a BB gun? Riding a bike without a helmet, knee pads, elbow pads and a portable first aid kit? Drinking water out of a garden hose? NOT getting a trophy for just showing up and "participating" in a ball game? Watching "violent" Road Runner cartoons? Sneaking a look at a Playboy magazine and NOT becoming a sex offender?
😉

Brad
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
RandyTX wrote:

Sheesh.

Yep, good points. It's a combination of government hand-holding and our litigious society, your kid swallows valve oil and gets sick? Of course you sue the manufacturer, CLEARY it's their fault.🙄

Brad

I've never heard of a case where someone got sick from swallowing valve oil. As in... not in 40+ years of running in circles where I would have heard a story of such if it happened.

Meanwhile, we probably should require trumpet players to keep their mouthpieces in a locked vault between rehearsals and performances. It *could* be used to stab someone in the temple.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other things that are getting similar scrutiny. Laundry detergent packets come to mind. I haven't heard of incidents of great bodily harm but I can't fault the powers that be for trying (within reason) to minimize the potential. This seems pretty far from a sinister Big Brother thing.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
There are other things that are getting similar scrutiny. Laundry detergent packets come to mind. I haven't heard of incidents of great bodily harm but I can't fault the powers that be for trying (within reason) to minimize the potential. This seems pretty far from a sinister Big Brother thing.

Laundry packet poisonings increase in kids
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
cheiden wrote:

Laundry packet poisonings increase in kids

The most important quote from that article:

"The vast majority of children get into detergent packets at home, when soap containers aren't stored out of sight, locked in a high cabinet or monitored closely while open."

So no matter how much legislation and government intervention is involved, it's really up to the parents to parent.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Benge.nut wrote:

Do you mean:
Eating actual (gasp) sugar, red meat and white flour, and God-forbid a peanut? Shooting a BB gun? Riding a bike without a helmet, knee pads, elbow pads and a portable first aid kit? Drinking water out of a garden hose? NOT getting a trophy for just showing up and "participating" in a ball game? Watching "violent" Road Runner cartoons? Sneaking a look at a Playboy magazine and NOT becoming a sex offender?
😉

Brad

Yep had the BB gun, a Crosman 760 that I swear was a thinly-disguised exercise program for kids because you had to pump that sucker a lot - taught me to make each shot count. Had the Schwinn Sting-Ray bike and was just at the right time for Eval Knieval to be in the comic books so we'd set up little ramps and stuff. We used to put together bikes out of the junkyard too and someone else always beat us to the wheels with brakes.

We had lawn darts, my brother had throwing knives, and at the proud age of 11 I had a Ka-Bar knife an old guy up the street gave me. The leather handle had rotted away so I made a handle, and a sheath, and used to carry it proudly almost everywhere.

Plus bows and arrows! Both store-bought and made.

Plus stuff like rock fights, playing dodgeball with a basket ball (that sucker WILL knock you down) and every other dangerous thing we could come up with to do.

Example: "I'm bored; let's jump off the roof" - "Okay!"

But I never cut myself with the ol' Ka-Bar, a BB never went where it was not OK for a BB to go, likewise an arrow, because Mom laid down the law. Anything bad happens and you get your toy taken away.

Geez, I could go on ... 3 words: Homemade go-karts.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roman candle and bottle rocket wars at night?? We used to throw packs of lit black cats and faux m-80s and cherry bombs as well.

Or am I the only one that did that?
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Roman candle and bottle rocket wars at night?? We used to throw packs of lit black cats and faux m-80s and cherry bombs as well.

Not quite, but I shot off thousands of firecrackers and I have the tinnitus to prove it.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jazzyalex wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Benge.nut wrote:

Do you mean:
😉

Brad

Yep had the BB gun, a Crosman 760 that I swear was a thinly-disguised exercise program for kids because you had to pump that sucker a lot - taught me to make each shot count. Had the Schwinn Sting-Ray bike and was just at the right time for Eval Knieval to be in the comic books so we'd set up little ramps and stuff. We used to put together bikes out of the junkyard too and someone else always beat us to the wheels with brakes.

We had lawn darts, my brother had throwing knives, and at the proud age of 11 I had a Ka-Bar knife an old guy up the street gave me. The leather handle had rotted away so I made a handle, and a sheath, and used to carry it proudly almost everywhere.

Plus stuff like rock fights, playing dodgeball with a basket ball (that sucker WILL knock you down) and every other dangerous thing we could come up with to do.

But I never cut myself with the ol' Ka-Bar, a BB never went where it was not OK for a BB to go, likewise an arrow, because Mom laid down the law. Anything bad happens and you get your toy taken away.

We had ninja stars and Rambo style knives too!! Same deal from our Moms. If we were stupid enough and let anything bad happen, she'd take away the toys.

That's how I lost my BB gun. I had a cool scope I saved up money from mowing lawns etc and was quite proficient. But I shot my friend's older brother (who for the record was a tool) in the butt one too many times and finally broke the skin, and to my mom's credit she was good on her word, and gave away my BB gun to my cousin

Lesson learned.
TheBrassBandMajor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, My hetman is with those long metal applicators with a short rubber cap that comes off. Its only the rotary valve oil by Hetman that is like that.

Yamaha caps are the by far best in my opinion. Every piston instrument product by Hetman is a child-resistant cap.
A.Windisch Silber-Deluxe, Dresden
Couesnon 'Triebert Moderne' piccolo
Conn 'Connstellation' 28A
SO many more trumpets.....
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:

Using the cardboard tube off a coat hangar as an aiming device for bottle rocket wars? BTDT.
Monster Oil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record this is an EU regulation, not an American one. If a company is going to need to make a childproof cap for the EU it's just simpler to make all bottles that way.
www.BrassChats.com
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monster Oil wrote:
For the record this is an EU regulation, not an American one. If a company is going to need to make a childproof cap for the EU it's just simpler to make all bottles that way.

Thanks for that info, and I'm a bit surprised.

Not to beat a dead 🐴, but EU, US, EEYI-EEYI-O (😉) or whoever/whatever requires it, Hetmans needs to have theirs redesigned.

Brad
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
1jazzyalex wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Benge.nut wrote:

Do you mean:
😉

Brad

We had ninja stars and Rambo style knives too!! Same deal from our Moms. If we were stupid enough and let anything bad happen, she'd take away the toys.

That's how I lost my BB gun. I had a cool scope I saved up money from mowing lawns etc and was quite proficient. But I shot my friend's older brother (who for the record was a tool) in the butt one too many times and finally broke the skin, and to my mom's credit she was good on her word, and gave away my BB gun to my cousin

Lesson learned.

One of my neighbors put out another kids eye with a BB gun. So they could be dangerous.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Benge.nut wrote:
1jazzyalex wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Benge.nut wrote:

Do you mean:
😉

Brad

Lesson learned.

One of my neighbors put out another kids eye with a BB gun. So they could be dangerous.

You're correct, BB guns have been known to do that, maybe I should have left them off my "good old days" rant.🤔

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: