• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dude... my bell is wet...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Dude... my bell is wet... Reply with quote

It's not new that I've noticed condensation from my bell but recently I'm noticing a lot more. My stand is sticking to the bell when I pick up my horn after a break or when I get it out of the case. Is this normal? I'm a diligent swabber but just the leadpipe. As I understand it, red rot is caused by the chemistry of our saliva, not condensation, but should I be concerned about moisture in my bell? Should we be using those funky, muppet brushes that sax players use sometimes?
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I issue a challenge to anyone to say "funky muppet brush" 10 times fast.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're seeing like pints of moisture, I think it's pretty normal. Not saying it's necessarily a good idea to put it back in the case like that, I often leave my horn out (in a SAFE place; I have a large armoire with shelves and locks on the door where I keep my horns, my girlfriend calls it my "horn vault") after a gig to let it air dry. I don't think I've ever heard of red rot in a bell, but dry before going back in the case is probably better, though.

".....funky muppet brush, funky muppet brush, funky fuppet...."

Brad
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was playing every day in high school, I would get a small stream coming out the bell. If I'm on a parade where it is a humid day, I still do. So long as the water is not indicative of anything medical, I believe it is a good thing: it shows you are pushing a lot of air through the horn, as we all should do.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes get a little bit of water out of the bell, so when I'm done playing, I have a routine that I go through to get it out: point the bell straight up at the ceiling, blow gently through the mouthpiece while moving the valves up and down, then do the French Horn thing, rotating the trumpet over backwards so the bell is pointing down and the water (if any) runs out. I usually get a lot with the flugel and cornet, very little with the trumpet unless I've been playing practically nonstop for quite some time.
Piccolo Stomvi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: