• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Franquin routine?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkwolfe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Franquin routine? Reply with quote

Good Evening;

Does anyone have a routine based on the Franquin book? I'm looking for routines that help with articulation, rhythm, flexibility, range, ornamentation, and so on, but I'm not picky.

Thanks,

D
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good evening,

Franquin wrote some suggested routines at the front of his book. If you have the qpress English translation, the routines are on pp 17-19; if you have the qpress original French version, the routines are on pp 26-27.

The Franquin book is organized a bit differently than other methods I've seen. The broad groupings are a theoretical part (text) up front and a practical part (exercises) after that. Tip: read the theoretical part. It's great, and it explains how to approach the exercises and why he wrote them that way.

The practical part is subdivided in three sections; the first is at a beginner level, the second section is intermediate, and the third section is advanced.

The beginner section is shorter than the intermediate or advanced, and it doesn't cover as many types of skills. However, there are benefits to working out of the beginner section, even if you're an advanced player, just to get a sense of how to apply Franquin's approach to playing the trumpet, which he described in the theoretical section.

Here's another tip: Franquin didn't write out all the different keys for the same exercise. He wrote each one in one key, then indicated the transpositions you should play at the end with a list of keys and starting notes, because he wanted the student to practice transposing. So an exercise that would have been printed on one or two pages in Arban or Clarke, with all the different keys printed out, might be printed in just two lines in Franquin, with all the other keys to be played listed at the end. This means that it's a good idea to browse through the book closely. There are lots of hidden gems buried in there waiting to be discovered. And don't play each exercise in just the one key that's written out; play 'em all to get the full benefit.

I've been starting my practice sessions with something to get my lips going, maybe Clarke 1, then right into Franquin's sound production exercises on p 79 in the qpress English translation. I hope to get to the point where I can start on that first thing, but I'm not there yet. After playing through those, I go right into long tones, exercise 1 on p. 81. (Franquin considered sound production and long tones exercises an essential foundation for trumpet playing that should be done together every day.) After that, I rest for 5 minutes.

Then I continue with articulation, or lip flexibilities, or arpeggio studies (Franquin has excellent arpeggio studies), or exercises on legato tonguing (ditto) or intervals. If I'm not going to work on other rep later in the session, I'll play some lyrical tunes from Franquin. I generally skip around different sections of the method to find the type of exercise I want to work on at the level I want to work them.

If you're looking for some heavy duty advanced studies, there are some really challenging exercises in the back of the book. And Franquin included some challenging contest pieces that he commissioned for his students at the Paris Conservatory; these are at the end of the book, along with Legend (Enesco) and the Bach Mass in B Minor. Lots of material!
Piccolo Stomvi
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Franquin book: "Methode Complete de la Trompette Moderne de Cornet a Pistons et de Bugle"

It was very expensive, so I am glad that qPress has translated it and cut down the price.

Here is a short presentation of the book. I attended a masterclass with Guy Touvron - he gave some advice about the method:

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/franquin/method/

.. and here some info about "Papa" Franquin:

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/franquin/

Ole
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very informative posts. I have two brief questions regarding the Franquin book.

1. Do I need the Franquin book if I already have (but not completed) both the Arban and St. Jacome books?

2. Do modern evolutions in pedagogy render some of the recommendations unwise to follow?

Thanks

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answers:

1. No.

2. Yes (Could you explain more what you mean?)

Maurice Andre used Franquin with his first teacher Leon Barthélémy (who was a student of Franquin). Later at the Paris Conservatory with Sabarich, he used Arban. Sabarich kicked Maurice out of the Conservatory and told him to practice Arban. After 3 months with a lot of practice, Maurice returned and played all the 14 etudes from Arban (in the back of the book) without making any mistakes.

Franquin is a more modern method than Arban. A better progression. It is divided into 3 parts. First part is much easier than Arban. As I said, a more progressiv method. The last part is on the same level as Arban. Enescos "Legende" can be found at the end (page 328 - 329).

The attack exercises are probably the most important exercises. (See link to my short article about the book). If you listen to Andre you can hear how great control he had on the attack at all volumes from PPP to FFF. I think the Franquin method helped him with this.

Ole
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Very informative posts. I have two brief questions regarding the Franquin book.

1. Do I need the Franquin book if I already have (but not completed) both the Arban and St. Jacome books?

2. Do modern evolutions in pedagogy render some of the recommendations unwise to follow?

Thanks

IMO, the Franquin book is different than the Arban, Saint-Jacome, and other methods originally intended to develop cornet players.

Franquin was a trumpet performer, and because of his success with that he was hired to run the trumpet program at the Paris Conservatory.

Of course, he knew about the Arban method, but he understood from personal experience that trumpet playing in his day posed slightly different challenges than cornet playing. He developed his method specifically to address those challenges, esp. things like getting a clean initial start to the note, any note, every time without fail. Also playing with a nice full round sound rather than an edgy, blaring sound. Playing accurately and with great agility (i.e., making cracks/clams few and far between). Learning to transpose.

If you'd like more info, there's an interesting PhD dissertation by Geoffrey Shamu about Franquin and his method that explains all this further.

IMO, the only thing I've found in Franquin that seems out of step with current thinking is his insistence on tonguing with the "tu" syllable, even with legato tonguing. I think most trumpeters use "du" articulation successfully for that.

I will say that it's uncanny how closely his pedagogy aligns with the things Jim Pandolfi was teaching in his Brass Chats videos. It's like they're brothers from different mothers! And I don't get the sense that Pandolfi got it from Franquin; I think they just arrived at similar approaches by responding to the requirements of their professional playing.

I just wish I had known about the Franquin method when I first started learning to play trumpet many years ago. It has answers to common problems that are hard to solve with other methods.
Piccolo Stomvi
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oj wrote:
(Could you explain more what you mean?)

Hi Ole. What I mean is that there may have been "advances" in embouchure placement, where the tongue goes, and other intervening-year concepts that are more accurate now and that replace former Franquin book advice.

(dstdenis, I think our posts crossed in "the mail". Thank you, too.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani,

One intersting thing from Franquin: Starting the sound not using the tongue. This can be found in more recent methods - the "breath attack" (Caruso) or "PU" (Stamp).

The dissertation will explain this more properly! Thanks for posting the link!

Ole
Dbfinn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the range in the beginner and intermediate sections of the book? Most method go to soon on top of the staff
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dbfinn wrote:
What is the range in the beginner and intermediate sections of the book? Most method go too soon on top of the staff

Franquin expanded the range very gradually in his method. The beginner section starts with 5 pages of exercises that range from low C, one ledger line below the staff, to second line G. After that, the next 31 pages gradually expand the range from low F# to F at the top of the staff.

The intermediate section starts right away with exercises that range from low F# to G at the top of the staff. After a few pages, the exercises include material at the top of the staff to high C, although these are optional, with alternative passages written below.

Many of the intermediate exercises have a list of other keys to be played to extend the range and work on transposing skills. These transpositions are often notated with a number, 1-3, indicating the range. 1 is middle, 2 is a bit higher, 3 is higher still, up to high C. (This isn't explained in the book anywhere that I can find, but Shamu explained it in his dissertation on Franquin.)

The advanced section has exercises up to E on the third ledger line.
Piccolo Stomvi
Sustained note
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I underdtand that the Qpress English version Franquin method is only sold as a download, not a printed book. Am I correct?

Giv'at Shmuel
Israel

Trumpet: Schilke B1 (2005)
Mouthpiece: Schilke Soloiste MG1
(Marc Geujon) gold plated
----------------

Keep a sense of humor.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sustained note wrote:
I underdtand that the Qpress English version Franquin method is only sold as a download, not a printed book. Am I correct?

That's correct.
Piccolo Stomvi
Sustained note
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming it dstdenis.

Giv'at Shmuel
Israel

Trumpet: Schilke B1 (2005)
Mouthpiece: Schilke Soloiste MG1
(Marc Geujon) gold plated
----------------

Keep a sense of humor.
dkwolfe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Afternoon;

Thanks for all the feedback and the insights. I'm playing out of the Arban's book on a regular basis, and I got the Franquin book to provide some variety and a little change of pace.

D
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have been watching this thread, glad to see such great feedback on the Franquin, it really is a wonderful method.

I am considering making up some print editions for people who do not have the gear necessary to handle such a large digital file. If people send me PMs with requests for physical books I will see what I can do to get everyone setup.

Thanks everyone,
Tim Quinlan
qPress
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: