• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chinese flugels

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Chinese flugels Reply with quote

So I decided to complete my instrument shake up by ordering a Chinese flugel. So far I have sold a couple of instruments and bought a couple which has put me in a better equipment position without actually spending any cash. My current flugel is a problem because of the mouthpiece receiver. It limits my choice of mouthpiece a bit too much. If I play on modern deep mouthpieces it really needs a trigger which it doesn't have or being cut down slightly in length. Getting the work done would have been quite a bit of money so I decided against it for now. I might return to that or maybe just give it to one of the local kids who needs a flugel.

I think my long term solution will be a Yamaha but lots of people seem to get by on the Chinese flugels. A lot of them look very similar. I was stuck waiting for a train in the north of Scotland and one thing led to another and I pressed the buy button on a Thomann 600G. For what it cost it doesn't matter much if it is not the best thing ever. I can always repurpose the case.

Just need to wait for the new instrument to arrive and give it a try out. It looks similar to the Elkhart branded ones Vincent Bach sell here - rose brass bell, same valve block. It gets decent reviews. I had the chance to buy one in a second hand shop for £80 last year. I should have just bought that one. I don't see many of the Chinese ones coming up for sale second hand so maybe they are keepers?

I will report back on what it's like when it arrives. A bit of an adventure!
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple of Chinese flugel stencil horns - in fact got them both at the same time to see what if any difference there was. They both seemed fine to me. I sold one only because I have no need for two, and one did seem a tad mellower and was cosmetically straighter so that's the one I kept. With a Denis Wick 4FL mouthpiece it sounds super mellow.

Looking at that Thomann 600G it looks like the same horn.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the price and what you get, they are disposable. I think you can get an idea of what and how a flugelhorn plays with little investment, and then decide if you might want something better.

You spend $150 of so for a new Chinese instrument, but you can get some great horns at more than fair prices right here in the marketplace as I'm sure you know.

I've never played a Chinese horn that I'd consider a high quality instrument, but for the cost of dinner for two you're not out much investment wise.
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My chinese-made Flugel plays great. Rose brass bell etc...

It performs as well as the MANY others' which cost WAY more, that I've owned.

The Chinese Flugels seem to be more acceptable than their trumpet counterparts.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpethead wrote:
My chinese-made Flugel plays great. Rose brass bell etc...

It performs as well as the MANY others' which cost WAY more, that I've owned.

That was my impression - you can pay a lot more and not get a better sounding horn. You can definitely make music with them.

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
bassguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
I've had a couple of Chinese flugel stencil horns - in fact got them both at the same time to see what if any difference there was. They both seemed fine to me. I sold one only because I have no need for two, and one did seem a tad mellower and was cosmetically straighter so that's the one I kept. With a Denis Wick 4FL mouthpiece it sounds super mellow.

Looking at that Thomann 600G it looks like the same horn.

How about the intonation. I have a Chinese made Hawk whose intonation is quite good. I've alsi noticed these Chinese horns rarely have smaller bores. Even the Thoumann seems like an anomaly at .433. Nice price, very temping.
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gordon.

I had the same question before and finally settled on finding a used Flugel from Trent Austin. Found one in Germany.

Great improvement over my Imperial Flugel.
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassguy wrote:
Robert P wrote:
I've had a couple of Chinese flugel stencil horns - in fact got them both at the same time to see what if any difference there was. They both seemed fine to me.

How about the intonation.

Seems fine - the 3rd valve trigger helps. Just like with the trumpet it's mostly about the player.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
bassguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly have my eye on this thread. Presumably the knock on Chinese flugelhorns is intonation related. I have a large bore Hawk that us quite good except for a 2cnd valve that sticks every now & then. Presumably that will be taken care of under its warranty. I might need a decent backup, & the price seems right. I take it the G in 600G stands for gold brass instead of yellow. Does that really make a difference?. Please keep us posted.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. Flugels are never that great with intonation anyway so remains to be seen. I will report back when it arrives and gets a test out.

bassguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have chexked this outfit out & there are apparently 2 very good reasons to discourage me from going forward with this. One is that PayPal credit doesn't do currency conversion. The other issue is that in spite of most Chinese flugelhorns having Large More Taper shanks, these flugelhorns take small taper. I have more money invested in mouthpieces than my current flugelhorn as it is. I would have to double that expense purchasing new mouthpieces. Time to make do with what I have.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently my flugel is due here today, just as I head off for four days to somewhere I can't take it. I will need to wait till next week to give it a test run.

robbrand
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to your report... I'm tired of fighting my Imperial flugel, and may invest in a Thomann myself. I got their 620 trumpet when I started my comeback two years ago - that must be more or less the equivalent of the 600 flugel, and cost about the same. It was very well made, with good valves, and played nicely in tune, if a bit stuffy. Well worth the money, and I sold it just the other day for the same amount I paid for it.
Besson USA 620 cornet
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbrand wrote:
I got their 620 trumpet when I started my comeback two years ago - that must be more or less the equivalent of the 600 flugel, and cost about the same. It was very well made, with good valves, and played nicely in tune, if a bit stuffy. Well worth the money, and I sold it just the other day for the same amount I paid for it.

I bought the Thomann TR-500GL (Strad copy - Gold brass bell) trumpet as a back-up horn, for the walk-around jazz gigs I sometimes do (just finished 4 days of them).
Excellent trumpet and paid for itself on the first day.
Those who 'bag' Chinese horns perhaps need to enlighten themselves a little more.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbrand wrote:
Looking forward to your report... I'm tired of fighting my Imperial flugel, and may invest in a Thomann myself. I got their 620 trumpet when I started my comeback two years ago - that must be more or less the equivalent of the 600 flugel, and cost about the same. It was very well made, with good valves, and played nicely in tune, if a bit stuffy. Well worth the money, and I sold it just the other day for the same amount I paid for it.

My flugel arrived slightly damaged so it is on its way back to them. No cost to me, but surprisingly they don't replace, just refund and ask you to reorder. I have not decided what to do yet.

Interestingly I am playing an imperial. DieterZ also plays on one and he has had intonation issues which I haven't - until a couple of weeks ago when I tried the Horntrader mouthpiece in it. Because it is so deep, has a fairly small throat and is sitting right on the end of the bach taper part of the shank my bottom and middle G are wildly out of interval - almost a semitone difference. Yet, on the correct taper and equally as deep mouthpiece it does not exhibit this problem. It shows you what an effect mouthpieces can have on an instrument.

robbrand
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Imperial (1950s vintage) has been converted from high to low pitch. In addition, it has what seems to be a Yamaha receiver pipe. I suspect those factors may contribute to the intonation issues, exacerbated by the fact that it doesn't have a trigger so in-play adjustments aren't possible - you just have to lip it.
The sound is nice enough though!
Besson USA 620 cornet
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbrand wrote:
My Imperial (1950s vintage) has been converted from high to low pitch. In addition, it has what seems to be a Yamaha receiver pipe. I suspect those factors may contribute to the intonation issues, exacerbated by the fact that it doesn't have a trigger so in-play adjustments aren't possible - you just have to lip it.
The sound is nice enough though!

OK, mine is low pitch. I think they had to make the leadpipe end longer to go from high to low pitch. I had a converted cornet that I had to get slightly deconverted as it was low on the pitch.

gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Chinese no-name flugels with the rose brass bells and the 3rd valve trigger listed in the area of $250 on ebay.

Then, I've also seen horns with the Allora and Austin Custom Brass names on them selling for a few hundred dollars more, but they look like the EXACT same horns. In fact, you can't buy one from Austin right now because they are saying that they come from China and are currently held up in customs.

It seems apparent that all these flugels are made by the same manufacturer in China, and then you have these enterprising people in the US who have their own names engraved on them, mark up the price and sell them as their own.

Am I wrong?

We already know that Lynn Nicholson has gotten an Asian manufacturer to make a horn to his specs and stamp his name on it. He promises to test every horn himself before allowing it to get into a customer's hands, but let's face it, if any of us bought a horn from a no-name manufacturer in China, wouldn't we have our own ability to play-test it and send it back if we got a bad one?

Who makes Mark Van Cleave's horns? Does he have his own manufacturing plant in Indiana? How about Warburton?
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, boy. this thread is heading for thread heaven
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
ML52K
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Warburton flugelhorn.

I don't know if Terry outsources all his parts, such as tubing. I'm pretty sure he buys the valve blocks, I don't know his source.

I have been to his shop, he pulled me back to his assembly bench.

All of his horns are personally hand assembled and brazed by Terry himself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: