• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

MF Protocol

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
Benge.nut ... I KNEW someone would nail me on being shirtless! Sorry, just woke up and started practicing after getting my coffee. I apologize.

I for one, can't switch mouthpieces like you do. I'm very sensitive to different rim size and shapes. Doesn't seem to be an issue for you eh??

Also, lots of slurs and arpeggios in this clip. Do you practice articulating with your range expanding exercises as well?

That was what REALLY helped me lock in new partials years ago. Repetitive articulations around new notes. Lots of tongued chromatic stuff, and melodies up there.

I found when you tongue there is much less of a "wide open" feeling, and I at least, feel much more relaxed. Just food for thought.

Again thanks for sharing, and glad you're improving!

Side note, when I was teaching a few years back, I'd sit in my studio w students and guzzle gallons of coffee every day while playing. This was the one and only horn I had where red rot just ate my leadpipe alive!! I think it was all the coffee. Hope you don't get that problem....I didn't swab my leadpipe hardly at all, and not on a regular basis ever.
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Lex in that I’ve seen debates on TH threads that have become far more heated and incendiary in nature than the one to which we’re referring. I tried to be disciplined in sticking to the point of my questions and assertions without getting personal or sarcastic.

Based on the timing of the deletion, I think there’s a good possibility that Lynn may have re-read a few of the things he posted and decided that they were not a reflection of his true character, thus he might have asked a moderator to delete the thread. I'm having a hard time envisioning other posters complaining about that thread because it wasn't that bad. Whatever the case, I don’t think deleting the thread was such a bad thing to do. No one likes to have a written record of an incident in which their better judgment got away from them to be hanging out there for all to see.

And since it’s pretty obvious that the comments in question were directed at me, it only makes sense that the apology was directed primarily to me. If so, I appreciate the apology, and of course I accept it.

My own comments were not intended to criticize or offend anyone, I tried very hard to stick to the point; nevertheless, if anyone was offended, I also apologize.

I was never a student of Bill Adam's but I do remember one of his quotes that said something to the effect that you don't have to put someone else's light out in order to make your own light shine. I try to keep that in mind wherever possible.

By the way, let's not get carried away with the immortal portrayals of Maynard, after all, one of the things that got Lynn in a little trouble on the thread in question was a quote from Maynard. Having seen Maynard perform in a little over 30 concerts myself, I've seen Maynard commit some pretty serious lapses in judgment while engaging with the audience at least 4 times, one of which was directed at a woman and it really made my hair stand up! So the point is, we're not perfect, it happens to everyone - even Maynard.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, none of the complaints came from Lynn... There were a number of players. Folk might want to reflect upon what they posted and follow the online version of the woodworker's creed: "write twice, post once".
burnhamd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Thanks for Posting Reply with quote

Russell,

Thanks for posting the video and Lex for sharing your experience with the Protocol. For me it has been a great experience. I guess the only way a person will know if it works is try it for themselves. I share a quote that a good friend shared with me, "A man with an experience is not at the mercy of a man with an argument."

Don thanks for moderating,

Dan
MF Holton LT-306
MF Holton ST-307
Cheap Flugel
www.danburnham.com
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge,

Yes, I have done a lot of tonguing in the Claude Gordon SA book within the range studies there. I am doing a lot of tonguing in the lower registers including double tonguing. Since you mentioned it, I will start tonguing on some of this. Thank you.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan and Russell, I thank you for posting your clips because they speak volumes, certainly far more telling than words can describe. They've helped me to make an assessment on whether or not Lynn's teaching and the MF Protocol are capable of producing consistent results in terms of sound, control, articulation, accuracy, and transition between registers.

Although it would have been more telling if the protocol was demonstrated through the playing of solo excerpts or the lead trumpet parts of some hard-driving big band tunes as opposed to scales and arpeggios, I think my questions have been answered by those clips, nevertheless. Thanks again for providing them.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here we go again
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:
IS your rim considerably bigger or smaller than the reversible Xpiece? I use the reversible Xpiece as Lynn recommends. It has two sides and one side is supposed to be harder to buzz that the other..but, persnally, I can't really tell.. I just flip it around and do it on both sides when I do it.

my rim is bigger, it's from a giardenlli piece i have from my college days in the early 80's, i had a visualizer made to my same rim specs now, maybe that will work, but i am going to have to break down and get lynn's xpiece. Also think i may screw around a bit with some V cups in my 00 size. money is so friggin tight these days, but sometimes you have to pay the man !! I see your using a callet jazz piece, always wanted to get one of those bad boys !!

regards,

tom
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
Benge,

Yes, I have done a lot of tonguing in the Claude Gordon SA book within the range studies there. I am doing a lot of tonguing in the lower registers including double tonguing. Since you mentioned it, I will start tonguing on some of this. Thank you.

Heck yeah man! I was just sharing what worked for me, and hope it might help you. There's only a handful of guys that can reach the range you're venturing into and I'd like to see you really polish what you're working on.

For me, tons of articulation and repetition really taught me where those notes slot and sit and how to relax when I play them. I'd go between playing 8 or 16 sixteenth notes and end on a half note on say high Eb then high E in one set. Then repeat a dozen or so times. Then do high E to F, then F to F# etc etc

I can do those exercises up to high As and Bbs with ease now. And with a bit more effort do the same up to double Bs Cs, C#s, and sometimes Ds which is the very end of my range. But I can play melodies articulate, swing whatever up to and around high As and Bbs whenever I want now.

I do all kinds of different repetitions with articulations that really helped me. Chromatics, different scales, little melodies in different keys. And still work on slurs, trills and arpeggios

Again, just food for thought. Good luck, you sound great!
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Benge.nut for your positive and edifying comments. It's a frightening thing to post a video for others to possibly make sarcastic remarks about. Thank you.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
Thanks again Benge.nut for your positive and edifying comments. It's a frightening thing to post a video for others to possibly make sarcastic remarks about. Thank you.

Of course!! We're all in this together man!

I'm not even going to mention the fact that you see shirtless in your video again. Not going to make any comparisons to you with Putin riding a horse with no shirt. Nor will I share any funny YouTube video of Putin shirtless beyond this one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-uWiPD4p8zY

It's gonna be hard to live that down hahahaha

RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tom, the JAZZ is an awesome jazz piece! a .600 diameter and a beautiful dark jazz sound.

Rusty and Dan, thanks for posting those clips of the progress being made! All the very best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
lipz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: I totally agree Reply with quote

[quote="ljazztrm"]I don't understand why the Lynn thread was deleted. I've seen [i]much[/i] more incendiary threads on the TH than that that were never deleted. most of us were sharing helpful experiences with the protocol.. and sure, there was some arguing going back and forth at times...but with some very good humor! Plus people like Dan Burnham put up a post with videos demonstrating his progress with the protocol. I felt I gave some good insight into my experiences with rim buzzing and the protocol and was ready to expound more upon my various experiences as I do this. And a lot of us were sharing our different experiences implementing the protocol overall.

I'm never really one to make threats or anything like that. But, in this case, I will just say I better see that Lynn Nicholson thread back on this forum - if you want to delicately 'clean' it a tad, ok..but we're going to have to have that thread back - or else. And don't say 'or else what?' Just trust it will be beyond all TH'rs worst nightmares! All the very best, Lex[/quote]
shakuhachi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm never really one to make threats or anything like that. But, in this case, I will just say I better see that Lynn Nicholson thread back on this forum - if you want to delicately 'clean' it a tad, ok..but we're going to have to have that thread back - or else. And don't say 'or else what?' Just trust it will be beyond all TH'rs worst nightmares! All the very best

...I agree fully! Deleting the whole threat was not a good decision - it just was comfy for the admin. Blessedly I copied some helpful posts of it before the whole threat was deletet.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s funny Shak, I was surprised how many people I didn’t even think checked out the TH were following the thread and some did what you did. BTW, as far as my ‘threat’ goes - I’m not going to carry it out after Lynn posted what he did at the beginning of this thread. Several people pm’d me about it..I don’t know what people think I could possibly do or what type of power I have over the TH, but I can assure you I’m just a freelance trumpet player working around NY and I don’t have any type of ‘powerful clout’! I’ll paste what I wrote to someone who PM’ed me:

Quote:
Don't worry..I could never do a real threat anyway, I'm just a trumpet player! It came up with a friend who is a real 'computer hacker' type who claimed he could hack in and post the old thread up again and make it 'unremovable'.. that's about the extent of what I could do as a threat;-)

So, yeah.. that’s about the extent of what I could do..or would even want to do! Just preserve some good information about the subject most all of us are interested in, making the physical approach to trumpet easier.. But, now, we have a new thread to discuss and, really, if this thread gets deleted..it might just be easier to go to another board and discuss it..also, people are discussing the protocol on Lynn’s FB page too.

So, in that spirit, it’s been about a week since I’ve been dedicatedly doing the rim buzzing. What I have found out is that the rim buzzing isn’t something I’m ‘building up my chops’ to do. It’s much more like I’m training my embouchure to ‘relax into doing it’. Those of you who have checked out Pops’ ideas about tensionless playing will know what I’m saying here. I think it has a lot to do with muscle memory. It’s like I am re-training some muscles to relax, instead of come into play, when I am doing the rim buzzing. The greatest thing is that, unless I do too much rim buzzing all at once, it actually has a positive effect when I go back to my horn. Everything feels better and more relaxed. So it’s not like I am screwing up my original embouchure position..I am still a straight IIIB (typed by Dave Sheetz) and it’s just a difference in the feel of when I play - which I would describe as more ‘open’ and relaxed. If I do too much rim buzzing all at once, I start to get a headache and physically tired..The rim buzzing is quite physical..To me, it’s like I am playing the world’s biggest trumpet..With just the rim, the world itself becomes my trumpet! So, like Lynn recommends, I do several minutes of rim buzzing several times a day usually.

The only other thing I’m doing specifically for the physical approach to playing right now is starting out the day with one of the following: Clarke #1 from the middle out, slurred and tongued each line. Arban’s 42-44 or 125-130. 125-130 are the intervals and I alternate each one slurred and tongued and do it at the highest mm marking marked (some Arban’s editions don’t have the MM marking..I recommend finding ones that do.. I also use the MM in the same way for 42-44). Another thing, when playing with the MF protocol, I don’t think people are aware of the sheer volume you can produce.. It doesn’t come across on video completely.. There’s a reason that Lynn wears hearing protection when he plays! It can be typical for me to play several loud, lead style gigs a week…and, so, I felt like I was generating a lot of power doing that.. but this takes it to even another level and, of course, makes it easier.

So, the way I see it right now, is that I am still learning to buzz the rim with the relaxation and power that Lynn produces - it’s a process of training embouchure muscles that I was using to relax and not come into play. This is something I can feel in my chops when I do the buzzing - every day it feels easier and more relaxed. I should say easier from an ‘embouchure’ perspective.. it still is very physical..it’s more like the entire body is taking over more and more and taking more and more burden off the chops. All the very best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read all of this kind of thing and absorb it. I very much appreciate TH and the tips I can get here. We had NONE of this (internet, YouTube etc.) when I was learning how to play. There is a wealth of knowledge one can learn from listening and watching particularly on YouTube.

What I have learned from my first video; I don't like myself on video; I should always wear a shirt when posting ... even if just rolling out of bed in my pajamas.

Benge.net has been great in his suggestions. I always learn something from Lex
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool deal Rusty. I always read your posts and usually get a lot out of them as well. Best. Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
shakuhachi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intersting Lex! I would like to get the „rim“ thing discussed more close as done so far.

I think that most students of Lynn’s MHM have not taken enough focus on that damned rim procedure - at least I am one of them.

In my last email conversation with Lynn a week ago he again emphasized the importance of playing the rim as he experienced on his own lately: he even plays the rim exclusively when he has no time to put up the horn.

So I too was thrilled again to try playing on the rim as well. Following his MHM in the past I was focused mostly on his XPiece alone because I often struggled with the rim to get some sound after all.

In Lynn’s video he clearly could manage both types of rim blowing: “normal” embouchure and “relaxed” embouchure. He shows very impressible the difference in sound: the much brighter sound when vibrating relaxed all over the inner rim diameter. I could never get some sound on the rim with a “normal” embouchure which means trying to get a closer aperture by closing the lips more within the rim by lip forces such as roll in et..

I even was scared as many of us when seeing the transformation of his face and neck when he does the rim mystery - even he stated: don’t be scared about!

What I personally learned when using the rim is that it handles with compression from the abs while relaxing the embouchure with no special presetting of the lips. I first used other rims before I got Lynn’s reversible rim: the original Giardinelly MF1 mouthpiece rim and later a rim from an even smaller id mouthpiece with rim I got from Mark Curry (GH .560 id). I managed to get a sound from the rim in high range better from the smaller one – with the original Giardinelly (which Lynn too uses in his early clips) I struggled.

So I asked myself: could it be that I am too relaxed, because it does work better on a smaller id in my case?

Currently I have no answer but I managed for a week now to get a bright sound in the high range area with Lynn’s rim which is wider than my GH .560 – it works about 2 minutes to get and hold a bright sound (single note or siren like modulating) in the upper register but I am struggling to get a whole melody as Lynn is able until now. Articulating is another thing on the rim.

Now the compression thing: I played jazz flute over 25 years now – after first trying trumpet - and coming back to trumpet about 7 years now. I think as a flute player one develops great compression capabilities in the abs because flute offers no resistance at all whereas trumpet does. You have to manage all the compression by your own if it comes to flute playing – which is called breath support.

So I found for me there is no problem with the strength of my abs. Do I use not enough air volume? This could be a cause because I normally use as few as possible of air because of managing such techniques like circular breathing etc..

What I found beneficial while experimenting with the rim alone to try different positions of the tongue in my mouth: bottom of lower jaw, higher, closing with the upper toothed rim, putting back and forward, behind and between the teeth etc..

I found for me that I instantly got a powerful sound when putting my tongue in a forward position between my teeth and touching the lower lip while forming a channel with the upper toothed rim and the upper tongue rim. This offers the possibility to articulate as well on the rim. The idea comes from experimenting with the TCE embouchure.

…so this seems to be my current approach of blowing the damned rim – by the way – my face and neck looks less scary as Lynn’s but who knows when I can fully play melodies on the rim like he does?! But I think my current approach helps getting compression in the air stream not only from the abs but from the TCE like lip-tongue formation which by the way ensures that no tension will appear around the aperture inside of the rim which will let vibrate the lips all across the inner rim.

I would be interested to hear other experiences with the rim blowing out there. Blowing the rim surely is another thing than free buzzing, mouthpiece buzzing or pipe buzzing.

....and when it comes to routines: I currently stopped all routines, scales etc.. just playing meldodies accompanied by my iPhone band using my GHM VR HG mouthpiece from Stomvi playing the Real Book improvising and transposing standards one octave higher when they are only scored up to F on top of the c cleff stuff....it works without warming up (only rim) and is fun and as Maynard and Lynn stated: they hate routines and just played.

Currently I spend 1-2 hours daily on playing trumpet....I can say now "playing music" not "exercising"!
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shakuhachi wrote:

Now the compression thing: I played jazz flute over 25 years now –

This offers the possibility to articulate as well on the rim. The idea comes from experimenting with the TCE embouchure.

I had thought flute and trumpet were too different otherwise I'd try flute. Are you a "downstream" trumpet player? Do you play alot of flute?

I've dabbled in TCE too and have the idea that MF protocall and TCE were polar opposites. In which way are they similar?

As for the rim thing...the only removable rim I have is a Bob Reeves 40M and not my current mouthpiece. Does one benefit from the rim exercise even though it's not the same as one's current mouthpiece?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: