• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Maggio book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flueskum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Maggio book Reply with quote

Hello
I have a copy of maggio system of brass- yellow book, I was wondering did maggio write anything more than this one book ? are there any more exercises out there? would love to know.
Many thanks
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Maggio book Reply with quote

Flueskum wrote:
Hello
I have a copy of maggio system of brass- yellow book, I was wondering did maggio write anything more than this one book ? are there any more exercises out there? would love to know.
Many thanks

Is it the one with the monkey on the cover??
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked on Amazon and it doesn't have a monkey, just a pale yellow cover. Also there don't seem to be any "sequels".
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is like the one I used to have
Red cover, monkey making a pucker face

http://www.musikalienhandel.de/noten/blech/original-louis-maggio-system-for-brass--SPAETH+16571.htm
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one on Amazon w a yellow cover and monkey

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Louis-Maggio-System-Brass/dp/B000729MB4
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand correctly, Maggio didn't write this or any book. The method bearing his name was written by Calrton MacBeth.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sequels.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have noted, there are no sequels, but if you find the Maggio exercises to be useful you may want to consider Claude Gordon's "Systematic Approach to Daily Practice," which contains exercises in the same spirit as the Maggio exercises.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
As others have noted, there are no sequels, but if you find the Maggio exercises to be useful you may want to consider Claude Gordon's "Systematic Approach to Daily Practice," which contains exercises in the same spirit as the Maggio exercises.

In my opinion the Maggio book makes for good historical reference, but the Claude Gordon book is much better and will develop much more playing ability. After studying with Herbert L. Clarke for nearly ten years, upon Clarke's death Claude then studied with Louis Maggio for several years.

Claude's book Systematic Approach to Daily Practice for Trumpet is the synthesis of what he learned from both his famous teachers, combined with the knowledge gained during his long career as a top studio musician. Claude's book provides an organized, progressive routine that uses the Maggio type exercises, while expanding upon them and adding a significant, key difference (more about that in a minute), and combining the exercises with assigned material from six other well-known trumpet books, including Arban's Celebrated Method, St-Jacome's Grand Method, both Clarke's Technical Studies and Characteristic Studies, Colin's Lip Flexibilities for Trumpet and Lip Flexibility on the Cornet or Trumpet by Walter M. Smith. Using Systematic Approach and the books it utilizes provides development in all the needed aspects of playing (not just range, power and endurance).

In particular, Claude added the concept of holding the pedal notes until all air is exhausted with an attempted crescendo as one runs out of air, to really work the blowing muscles and also to help one learn the (correct) habit of being able to blow with full force while staying completely relaxed in the areas of the vocal chords and upper throat (ie the soft palette and back of the tongue), a habit that is required to efficiently play the extreme upper register (if a weight lifter grunts and strains as he lifts a heavy weight, he'll probably still be able to lift it, but if a trumpet player grunts and strains while trying to play a high note, well, it's over before it even began). Maggio just had his students hold each of the pedal notes at the end of each pedal note exercise for a fairly long hold, which really doesn't do much of anything to build up the muscles of expiration. Of course, one could incorporate the CG style hold into the exercises in the Maggio book, but one would still miss out on all the other assigned material from Systematic Approach and also, I think there were only around 12 versions of the Maggio Pedal Note and Range arpeggio exercises - in Claude's book there are 52 versions.

I realize when it comes to most of you I am "preaching to the choir". But I'm sure there are younger and/or newer people here on the Trumpet Herald who aren't yet (actually, now, weren't yet) aware of this info.

Happy Easter and Happy Passover everybody!

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Matt Graves
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second John's post.

In the first couple of years studying with Claude, I traveled to Larry Souza's The Music Man shop in San Carlos, CA for the lessons. Larry had had the foresight to collect a pile of Carlton MacBeth's original Maggio book (it had a green cover).

One day after my lesson I bought a copy. Still have it to this day!
Claude Gordon Certified Teacher
BAC Custom Dream Trumpet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: