• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cruise ship gig recruiting ad

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Cruise ship gig recruiting ad Reply with quote

Let's see if this link from Facebook shows up - I thought it was ironic that the graphic of the horn is upside down. I see many respondents cite crap pay and work conditions.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1755129741465355&set=gm.639393602927586&type=3
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=105024&highlight=

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=105024&highlight=

Some interesting stuff. I had to snicker a bit when he talked about an act giving him $50 to split among the band. Meant as a nice gesture I suppose but that works out to what, a can of Coke or a pack of gum?

The part about the a-hole medical staff on the Celebrity ship is incredible.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
Some interesting stuff. I had to snicker a bit when he talked about an act giving him $50 to split among the band. Meant as a nice gesture I suppose but that works out to what, a can of Coke or a pack of gum?

A couple of drinks in the crew bar.

And they didn't have to tip us at all - the gesture of kindness & appreciation for a job well-done in a mostly thankless work environment had way more impact than the amount.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:

How many in the band?
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
trpthrld wrote:

How many in the band?

The show bands I played w on ships had 7-11 guys in the band

Crew bar Buds and Coronas were $1 each

$50 could get everybody buzzed
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
How many in the band?

Crystal had 7, Celebrity had 8, Royal Carib had 9.

Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Robert P wrote:
How many in the band?

Did u ever work on the Crystal "all Japanese" cruises? The most polite environment I've ever been in. Super high end everything on that boat!!

I meant 9 btw not 11. 2 tpts 1 bone head, 2 saxes, piano bass drums and gtr.

Ever watch the "Ship of Darkness" cartoons??
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Robert P wrote:
How many in the band?

What kind of screwed-up personnel system was in place to hire a$$clowns like Nurse Ratched that you described and her supervisor who apparently couldn't care less, or allow them to stay employed for more than 10 minutes displaying that kind of egregious behavior - if it was the way you said it was surely there had to be complaints, or for that matter to put such an absurd policy in place? People are supposed to get sick on a time schedule?

Are they ultimately not answerable to anyone you'd ever be able to contact?
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
trpthrld wrote:
Robert P wrote:
How many in the band?

What kind of screwed-up personnel system was in place to hire a$$clowns like Nurse Ratched that you described and her supervisor who apparently couldn't care less, or allow them to stay employed for more than 10 minutes displaying that kind of egregious behavior - if it was the way you said it was surely there had to be complaints, or for that matter to put such an absurd policy in place? People are supposed to get sick on a time schedule?

Ships are hit and miss. I've done a dozen contracts or more over the years. Some times everything is easy going, and the MD and CD are good humans, and there is no stress. The worst part is having qualified musos in the band.

Sometimes though it's been a nightmare with Officers, whether Greek or Italian being ego maniacs and hating the entertainment staff because of how little we word, and they make life miserable wherever possible. Or some egomaniac MD or CD out to prove a point instead of just getting through the day.

Some of the music is great, some soul crushing. But the pay is the same, and it's always on time. It's an easy gig and if you can keep your sanity it's a worthwhile experience and chance to see the world. I've been to over 50 countries!!
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
What kind of screwed-up personnel system was in place to hire a$$clowns like Nurse Ratched that you described and her supervisor who apparently couldn't care less...

Are they ultimately not answerable to anyone you'd ever be able to contact?

I know how this will sound and come across to some, but the truth is ship medical personnel will never be Americans. Head medical could be European or Asian, assistants could be and will be from anywhere, mostly eastern European, Central & South America, and Pacific Islander.

Best to think of of like this - you've gone to MEDICAL SCHOOL and the best gig you can get is on a SHIP?? That right there says a lot about the quality of medical care you get while on a ship.

As far as contacting anyone in authority, whether it be the ship band master or up the chain of command to anyone in the ship's head office...keep in mind that a squeaky wheel gets the grease. They can (and will) make your life miserable to where you'll want to end your contract early or they write you up for the slightest of infractions. Get enough of those and you get booted from the ship.

A ship contact in an American court of law (I'm guessing here and sorry for the pun) would not hold water. Yes, a main office for a ship might be in the USA, but ships are always registered in a foreign country, and that's where (again - I'm assuming) any legal jurisdiction would stand.

Benge.nut wrote:
Sometimes though it's been a nightmare with Officers, whether Greek or Italian being ego maniacs and hating the entertainment staff...

This answers a LOT. Ship officers, especially Greek, Italian & Middle Eastern, are all about machismo. They may be good at their primary job (and usually are), but after that, it's all about power, position, ego, and chicks they can score with.

Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before starting one contract, I knew of a hernia I had. Halfway through my contract it started getting bad. The ship's medical folk scheduled a doctor appointment for me in Lisbon.

From there I was told I could have my surgery in Portugal, or finish my contract and have it done back in the US...which I opted for.

Then RCCL was forwarded all info from my doctor in the US and paid the whole bill. AND paid me for sick time while I was recovering.

I was lucky how it worked out, but I could not have been happier with the medical staff on board and dealing with RCCL Miami in dealing with billing etc. and I had a filling fall out once on an Alaskan contract, and had the dental work done in Vancouver, also on RCCL's dime.

It ain't always horror stories with cruise ships
Gandalfe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This turned out to be a most excellent thread, especially with the pointer to the longer one in 2011. I think I'll show this to a friend of mine who is starting a cruise gig. Thank you!
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this has been brought up but just in case it hasn't...a ship gig can be a very good experience & let you make some money but only if you go into it with the right mindset.

- Minimal crew bar & ship Internet time means more money in YOUR POCKET. Not saying don't have a good time but don't do stupid stuff, either.

- You will get good sight-reading experience with chart copy of every extreme.

- You'll get experience working with wonderful guest talent & some of the worst human beings you could imagine.

- You will (hopefully) get to see some very beautiful places on this earth and get paid while doing it.

Seriously - if I need a sub or to add a trumpet to a gig & the choice is between equal-ability players but one has been on a ship, I'll usually go with the ship guy, because he has paid some true dues & has earned a break in the biz.

- You'll learn to adapt to a wide variety of performance situations, which is a VERY good thing.

- You'll come off the ship with your own stories and become part of a wide group for networking. Except for kids right out of college, many of the people I work with have ship experience, and it's always good for a few laughs and shared horror stories.

Seriously - if I need a sub or to add a trumpet to a gig and it's a choice between equal-ability players but one has been on a ship...I'll usually go with the ship guy because he has paid some hard dues & is deserving of a break in the biz.

Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
As far as contacting anyone in authority, whether it be the ship band master or up the chain of command to anyone in the ship's head office...keep in mind that a squeaky wheel gets the grease. They can (and will) make your life miserable to where you'll want to end your contract early or they write you up for the slightest of infractions. Get enough of those and you get booted from the ship.

A ship contact in an American court of law (I'm guessing here and sorry for the pun) would not hold water. Yes, a main office for a ship might be in the USA, but ships are always registered in a foreign country, and that's where (again - I'm assuming) any legal jurisdiction would stand.

What about complaints from passengers? That can't be the first time they behaved like that. Sounds like they must be insulated from consequences.

I have a problem with people who get to be [jerks] with impunity.

Edited by moderators. Please keep the TH family-friendly.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
What about complaints from passengers? That can't be the first time they behaved like that. Sounds like they must be insulated from consequences.

Passengers have to pay when they see ship medical. I think it's around $170 a visit. They do get a receipt that they can then send to their health insurance for reimbursement.

$170 (pax) vs $0.00 (crew)...

Paying customers always receive better and more compassionate treatment.

Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Passengers have to pay when they see ship medical. I think it's around $170 a visit. They do get a receipt that they can then send to their health insurance for reimbursement.

$170 (pax) vs $0.00 (crew)...

Paying customers always receive better and more compassionate treatment.

I was thinking about the incident you mentioned where Nurse Ratched barked at the passenger the same as she did at you.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
isler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Curse Ship gig Reply with quote

Great gig!
robbo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is what it is.

I did a few contracts after finishing studies in the States.
Good opportunity to play under pressure (accompanying headliners with little rehearsal and bad charts). As a trumpeter you had to be an assertive player.
And of course great way to see the world. I loved Alaska!!

I was a bit older so was looking to save money. PPl who say they earn more on land are correct to an extent, but on a cruise gig you're not paying for accommodation, a car, rates, food etc. I set out to save money and did leave the ship with a nice chunk. (Probably the last time I did save any money
Made a bit of extra money doing arrangements and helping the art auctioneer.

Rob
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of videos on YouTube about working on a cruise ship, as a musician and a few other things.

It looks like a good way to stack some cash if you have solid chops and the right mindset.

My chops are nowhere near solid of I'd consider it myself. I've been on boats and ships and so far have never gotten seasick.

One common thread that runs through all the videos and "exposee's" is: There are a large number of Filipinos working on the ships and your life will be a lot easier if you befriend them - not difficult as they tend to be very nice people. Learn a bit about their foods, their culture, and at least a big of Spanish if not Tagalog/Igurut.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: