• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Recital Emergency!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryswan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Recital Emergency! Reply with quote

I've got a problem.
I have been preparing for months for my senior college recital this Tuesday night. At the beginning of the week I felt ready; as of this morning, I can't play. I mean, whereas at the beginning of the week, a D above the staff was cake, now an A is difficult! Also, I am having to take more breaths and lack lip endurance.
Two things happened on Thursday that could have caused this.
1. I got the flu and lost 9 lbs in 1 night. (I'm 5'10' and (was) 150 lbs, so thats a considerable loss
2. Also, my valves were sticking so I had my trumpet professionally cleaned. I don't know if a lack of resistance could cause a range issue? I don't think my trumpet was that plugged because I do maintenance on it myself often, but that was the first time its been professionally cleaned.

SO...which do you think is the issue, and what should I do to solve it???
I've got 2 and a half days to get my strength back up. Should I stop playing or play more? I had an Easter concert today, and have another tomorrow...should I get a sub and rest?

I ran a 10k today hoping that would strengthen my lungs a little bit...I still feel pretty wiped from the flu though.

I would appreciate any insight!

-Ryan
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all I hope you're feeling better. I will tell you, that some of my best performances were on days that I was sick - somehting about not having the energy to focus on anything except the music.

Take care of yourself: rest, water, nutrition and don't overdue the physical activity.

A good cleaning CAN make an instrument play a little different, but shouldn't be a huge thing unless a large blob of gunk came out. Even so, the adjustment to the instrument should only take a day or two.

Don't over practice, if you haven't learned it yet you won't by reictal time. Silent practice (sing and fingers), listen to a recording other things to improve your readiness on the mental side.

Then play music, don't worry about anything but the music. Get on stage and SING

And of course, I know you're also talking with your studio Prof. !

break a leg.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
First of all I hope you're feeling better. I will tell you, that some of my best performances were on days that I was sick - somehting about not having the energy to focus on anything except the music.

Take care of yourself: rest, water, nutrition and don't overdue the physical activity.

A good cleaning CAN make an instrument play a little different, but shouldn't be a huge thing unless a large blob of gunk came out. Even so, the adjustment to the instrument should only take a day or two.

Don't over practice, if you haven't learned it yet you won't by reictal time. Silent practice (sing and fingers), listen to a recording other things to improve your readiness on the mental side.

Then play music, don't worry about anything but the music. Get on stage and SING

And of course, I know you're also talking with your studio Prof. !

break a leg.

All of this is spot on, and I would say take a day off. I found myself in this situation more than once in college and taking a day off really helps. You already know the material, so giving yourself some rest will allow you to play better than practicing for another day.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find some time to slow down, relax, and breathe. A talk with your trumpet prof might also serve you well. Do a normal valve clean on your trumpet- use the oil as a solvent to clean the pistons and casings. Fixating on the problems, or perceived problems generally causes us to focus on things that will take us away from our primary task. Another way to build your confidence might be to find the most reverberating, resonant room you can (dorm showers?) and play for a while there. Good luck.
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Find some time to slow down, relax, and breathe. A talk with your trumpet prof might also serve you well. Do a normal valve clean on your trumpet- use the oil as a solvent to clean the pistons and casings. Fixating on the problems, or perceived problems generally causes us to focus on things that will take us away from our primary task. Another way to build your confidence might be to find the most reverberating, resonant room you can (dorm showers?) and play for a while there. Good luck.

+1
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
LakeTahoeTrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you are now feeling better from the flu bug you got! My experience with juries, auditions and recitals was that anxiety can do goofy things to the chops -- namely, a tense body can wreak havoc on my playing. Doing everything the other posters on this thread said, especially talking to your professor, will help you to relax. And then I learned, when my chops got like that, to start playing easy stuff I had done thousands of times before, staying within an easy range, and that would help rebuild my confidence. Then doing some lip slurs out of Irons or something like that would prove that I still had the range. A friend of mine who is a trumpet prof at a big college says, "play with hot air, and focus on the sound, not the feeling." Good luck!
Benge Flugelhorn 3X
Buescher 400 Model 275 Cornet
Curry Precision Mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: