• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I learned an important lesson this morning

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: I learned an important lesson this morning Reply with quote

I put this in this forum because I think it's something we all need to know.

I'm in Church ready to play. I received my pay and it's way less than expected. I've played here many times so I didn't ask how much. My mistake for not asking beforehand. Trust me, a big mistake.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's bad business. Sorry to hear that.

I'm at my first job today, there is coffee and doughnuts for us...haven't looked on my stand for my check yet. Now I'm mildly concerned
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your reward is in heaven. Just don't tell the union.
Honkie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Easter Bunny hid the remainder of your pay, go look for it in the backyard!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last Easter church gig I did had something similar; it took me three weeks of phone calls to get paid at all, even though I knew and trusted (past tense) the guy who hired me, and had been assured I would be paid immediately after the service. "Gee, the other guy forgot to bring your check...."

The nice finishing touch was the very abrupt and clearly offended (I assume because I actually expected to be paid for the job I was hired for) church secretary in the office when I FINALLY picked up my check. Guess I was being a mercenary jerk for not donating my pay back to the church? 🙄

Brad
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple year ago a high school student came to her lesson all excited and proclaimed she had an Easter gig. When I asked where it was the church I had been regularly playing for the past several years. They paid her $50 for rehearsals, several services, etc.
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had that happen. And have never played at that church again (for Easter). And learn3d that lesson well. No matter the situation and who I trust, i ALWAYS discuss payment and usually request to have thecheck in hand at the beginning of the service.
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces

Last edited by lgt0412 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
I'm in Church ready to play. I received my pay and it's way less than expected. I've played here many times so I didn't ask how much. My mistake for not asking beforehand. Trust me, a big mistake.

Brad361 wrote:
The last Easter church gig I did had something similar; it took me three weeks of phone calls to get paid at all, even though I knew and trusted (past tense) the guy who hired me, and had been assured I would be paid immediately after the service. "Gee, the other guy forgot to bring your check...."

Reminded me of something I hadn't thought about in a while. When I was in high school a teacher recruited me to play for her church for Easter, I think it was something like $10. Played the job, she said she'd catch up with me in school. I didn't make a big point of it, any time I saw her in the hall she kept saying she forgot but she'd bring me a check. I had a humorous history with her - she was the only teacher who had sent me to the office in high school - it was totally deserved, a friend and I were being goofball idiots and finally got on her last nerve - I still remember her exasperated - "that's it OUT!" as she dramatically pointed to the door - lol. No hard feelings whatsoever. She was a nice, if somewhat flaky older lady, near the end of her teaching career. Well over a year later, after numerous encounters after the long-past gig, I happened to run into her when she was coming out of our mutual bank and she said "oh, I owe you money". I actually told her it was okay but she insisted. We went inside and at long last she wrote me a check.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less then you EXPECTED (as written by you) or less the AGREED ON?
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:

The nice finishing touch was the very abrupt and clearly offended (I assume because I actually expected to be paid for the job I was hired for) church secretary in the office when I FINALLY picked up my check. Guess I was being a mercenary jerk for not donating my pay back to the church? 🙄

Brad

Same thing happened to me. Had to call several times and then finally had to go and pick up the check weeks after playing. The secretary wasn't too pleased either when I picked up the check. Interestingly enough, they have never called again, even though up to that point, it had been a regular gig for me. How dare I demand to be paid for doing a consistently good job.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I learned an important lesson this morning Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
I put this in this forum because I think it's something we all need to know.

It's very simple. You talk to the guy in charge, and telling them you have been paid $xxx in the past, and did not expect such a low amount: what is up?

Depending on the reply, you either get the correct amount (mistakes do happen), or you do the gig, take the pay hit and get the chance to say very clearly to members of the congregation you wil, never be back due to the money grubbing actions of the church...

FWIW, my Easter Sunday gig (I rarely do them) was paid and cash was handed out before the service. Congregation was happy, complimentary, as were organist and choir director. Everyone was happy, and th gig will continue.

<political content deleted by Moderators>

Cheers

Andy
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult...

Youdon't want to lose the regular gigs that pay the proper rate, but it's a difficult situation being down on what you were expecting.

Do you say nothing and make sure you check next time... Or do you make a point of asking why they've paid so much less and risk never being asked back?
Guess it depends whether you're turning down other gigs in order to play there or whether you need the future gigs...
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to call the church and ask for the money I would probably get it. I'm not going to because it was just as much my fault as theirs. I should have asked before taking the job what they are paying or, stated my fee.

I was called for a bunch of jobs for a lot more money but, had already taken this job.

Just as a side note; when I came out of the church, someone had hit my car in the parking lot. The guy stayed and admitted what happened so it will get fixed on him. What a day.
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always, ALWAYS, get it in writing.
trumpetlane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year my friend had the opposite experience. We walked out of the church together and he had this funny grin and asked how much I got paid. It turns out the church accidentally added an extra zero to his check! So he had to go back to straighten things out for other reasons! $2000 would have been nice!

Bb - XO 1602S-R
C - Jupiter XO 1624s
D - Yamaha YTR-751
Cornet - Yamaha YCR-231
Flugel - Getzen 895 Eterna
Pic - Getzen 940 Eterna w/ Blackburn leadpipes
Stork Vacchiano Mouthpieces
tim_wolf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of years ago I agreed to play at a church for a musical they were doing. I forget how many rehearsals I attended (I think three or four) as well as several performances. Oh, and it was a 45 minute drive one way to the church.

A few days after the last performance, I found a message on my answering machine from the music pastor informing me they went over budget and couldn't pay the musicians anything.

Yea, I was kind of upset at the time, but I let it go and used it as a learning experience. At least they were smart enough to never call me again, as I would have turned them down and told them exactly why I was.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim_wolf wrote:
A number of years ago I agreed to play at a church for a musical they were doing. I forget how many rehearsals I attended (I think three or four) as well as several performances. Oh, and it was a 45 minute drive one way to the church.

A few days after the last performance, I found a message on my answering machine from the music pastor informing me they went over budget and couldn't pay the musicians anything.

Yea, I was kind of upset at the time, but I let it go and used it as a learning experience. At least they were smart enough to never call me again, as I would have turned them down and told them exactly why I was.

You're a better/more patient person than I am. No, there's nothing else you could have done, but that's completely inexcusable, at the very least I would have let that guy know that. But maybe you did.

As musicians we all get ____ on occasion, and churches are not the only offenders. Sad but true.

Brad
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to rub it in but my regular Easter gig surprised me with a somewhat more generous check this year.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're playing for pay, you never stop learning lessons. I learned one this past weekend, too. A week or two before the gig, the pay was cut in half (but had to play only one service instead of two, so I honored the commitment), and then the morning service lasted MUCH longer than I was told it would. Counting the rehearsals and extended service, I made about $30 an hour - not good. Mark that one off the list of potential future gigs...
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm willing to play for little or free on occasion. However, it better be my choice - I need to know that situation initially.

There are some gigs that I'll only take if it involves a check. If you try to short me on those, you'll only get to do it once.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: