• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I learned an important lesson this morning

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bad part is that the church and you now have a strained relationship over something that could and should not have been a problem.

I've played churches where I knew the people involved, the job was fine but the rehearsals were frustrating and the pay on the low side. I just migrated to other opportunities. And at Easter, there usually are plenty of choices.

The one I remember most was a church gig in college almost 40 yrs ago where I was told the money would be a certain amount. During rehearsal, someone came asking everyone individually if they were in the union. The result was that the union folk were paid that original amount and non-union were paid a good percentage less. I learned a lesson -- and never played there again.

-- Joe
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

every business, it's the same thing. why are you providing trucking services for company A rather than company B, if you know the owner really well you can get a straight answer. people will not openly talk about these things.
the answer is, because they are payers. a great deal of people, aren't. if you want to avoid this sickening topic in life, you get a government or corporate job where you can expect the pay to regularly be there. many take this route. the rest of us scratch for money.
you try to get into a position where you don't have to tolerate deadbeats and can work stress free.
some people don't feel right about life unless they cheat someone. this is the reason people are reluctant to talk about the subject. it's a dark journey. when your kids come of age you can go over the matter in a gentle way when discussing careers.
Trumpetmannj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you got ganked on your check. You should say hey, check is light. It's probably a maistake. If it's not, they are going to keep ganking you every time you play there. Monroe ct is a town with congregations that have money. sack it up instead of crying on the trumpet herald.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
If I were to call the church and ask for the money I would probably get it. I'm not going to because it was just as much my fault as theirs. I should have asked before taking the job what they are paying or, stated my fee.

I was called for a bunch of jobs for a lot more money but, had already taken this job.

I think it's reasonable to expect (at least) the same you had been paid in prior years, if they did not state otherwise. The fact that you did not call in a sub to take the better paying gig does come into play here, and they should know about it. Very curious how they responded, if you raise the issue ...
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gigs come and go. Some pay great some don't. Sometimes you get stuck sometimes you don't.

Life's not always fair. Live and learn...now, on to the next job
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetmannj wrote:
So you got ganked on your check. You should say hey, check is light. It's probably a maistake. If it's not, they are going to keep ganking you every time you play there. Monroe ct is a town with congregations that have money. sack it up instead of crying on the trumpet herald.

"....sack it up instead of crying on the trumpet herald"???? Seriously?

Among the uncalled-for comments, that one ranks right up there with some of the late Capt. Kirk's. Read the OP's first sentence, man.

And by the way, whether or not "Monroe ct is a town with congregations that have money" is totally irrelevant to the OP's story.

Geeez.

Brad
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't know WHY the person who hired the OP has not VERY KINDLY ask why there was a difference to the usual pay. That may had solved the whole issue, or at least explained it.
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieter Z wrote:
I still don't know WHY the person who hired the OP has not VERY KINDLY ask why there was a difference to the usual pay. That may had solved the whole issue, or at least explained it.

Agreed, but I still think the "crying on the trumpet herald" remark was totally unnecessary.
I also doubt that the OP will work for this church again, at least not without asking before the job what the pay will be.

Brad
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetmannj wrote:

So, I think you're right that it's probably a good idea (and good practice) to ask when cheques aren't as expected, and to confirm before the date what's going to be paid.

But, that doesn't mean that it's a bad idea to talk about it here. Lots of people are uncomfortable about the business angle of freelance work, especially when they're first starting out, and a few might assume that churches won't do this kind of stuff. This is, after all, a discussion board, so it's not a bad idea to share experiences, discuss, and hopefully have everyone learn from it. The whole "sack it up" thing is, well, below the belt.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
Trumpetmannj wrote:

So, I think you're right that it's probably a good idea (and good practice) to ask when cheques aren't as expected, and to confirm before the date what's going to be paid.

But, that doesn't mean that it's a bad idea to talk about it here. Lots of people are uncomfortable about the business angle of freelance work, especially when they're first starting out, and a few might assume that churches won't do this kind of stuff. This is, after all, a discussion board, so it's not a bad idea to share experiences, discuss, and hopefully have everyone learn from it. The whole "sack it up" thing is, well, below the belt.

+1, and stated more tactfully than I did.

Brad
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I'm contacted to play a gig, the questions I ask (usually in this order) are :

When is the gig (day and time)?
Where is the gig?
How many rehearsals (and where and when)?
What part will I be playing (and who are the other trumpet players)?
How much does it pay?
What's the dress?

Many times before I get to the question of payment, I have to decline the gig because of a conflict of some sort. Other times I decline it when find out how much (if any) they plan on paying.

The point of this is, always ask questions before you commit to a gig!
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the opposite thing happen to me this year - I was surprised to find MORE money in my check than I thought I was going to get paid.

There's a couple of ways this can be handled.

1.) Ask the music director about the fee, mention that it was less than what had been paid before, and see if there was a reason that it was light.

2.) Don't play there again.

I've got a great relationship with the director of the music program where I've been playing, so I'd have no issues with approaching him and asking about the fee. Likewise, I'm lucky enough to live in an area where there are a lot of playing opportunities around, and I could probably find another church to play at without much difficulty. In the last year or so I've been in the position where I'm actually turning down work.

FWIW, I don't see an issue with the OP bringing it up here on the forum. This is something out of what they would consider "ordinary," and they are seeking advice from those of us who maybe have experienced something similar. Color me crazy, but isn't that what this forum is here for?

Side note - someone mentioned "the late Capt. Kirk" - did he pass away?
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Side note - someone mentioned "the late Capt. Kirk" - did he pass away?

That was me being facetious; "late" referred to his removal from TH. Although I'm not certain that he may have been resurrected under a different screen name, judging by some posts I've seen lately!

Brad
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieter Z wrote:

I was hired by the music director of the church. He doesn't know about the pay because I didn't tell him.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetmannj wrote:

I'm sorry that you took my post this way. I didn't mean to come off as crying. I meant it to remind us, it's a fundamental rule to get a contract in writing. I got sloppy and didn't do it so, I hope you can learn from my mistake.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
Dieter Z wrote:

I was hired by the music director of the church. He doesn't know about the pay because I didn't tell him.

Hmm... I know a few music directors at Catholic churches, and they would want to know if there had been a problem or misunderstanding. They like to stay on good terms with good players and will often jump at the chance to do a favor or bank some goodwill for later.

Maybe there's a way you'd be comfortable with to bring it up with the MD. Maybe it gets fixed--if not, at least he/she will understand why you will be more emphatic about getting the terms in writing next time.
Piccolo Stomvi
qcm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
[quote="Trumpetmannj"
"....sack it up instead of crying on the trumpet herald"???? Seriously?

I completely agree with you Brad.

That prior comment was in poor taste and completely unnecessary.

-Dave

Kanstuls, LA Benges and a Selmer picc.
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
Dieter Z wrote:

Well, If I were in your shoes I would have kindly spoken to the Music Director after I saw the check, to see why there was a difference.

Why not give him a call now?
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
Trumpetmannj wrote:

I'm sorry that you took my post this way. I didn't mean to come off as crying. I meant it to remind us, it's a fundamental rule to get a contract in writing. I got sloppy and didn't do it so, I hope you can learn from my mistake.

Joe, to your credit, you are infinitely nicer and more patient than I am (regarding the "crying" remark).

And to some others, if he is comfortable just using this as a learning experience, and/or has other reasons not to pursue it, I think that's totally his decision. I'm not sure if the "you should" advice is appropriate here.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieter Z wrote:
trumpetchops wrote:
Dieter Z wrote:

Well, If I were in your shoes I would have kindly spoken to the Music Director after I saw the check, to see why there was a difference.

Why not give him a call now?

OK full disclosure:

I get hired to play a lot at this church. Just because they like good music. The pay on an average Sunday is 150.00. To me, that seems like good pay for just a Sunday morning gig. I get there at 7 for a 7:30 rehearsal. I'm out of the church before the sermon and home around 9:30. The music is always good stuff and I'm a good enough player that I can just read the part. The other musicians are always good and professional. I enjoy working with them. I have been hired to play second a few times and the guy playing first was way better than me so not only do I get paid but, I get paid to learn something too.

I have played on Easter many times for them and the pay was always competitive with other churches on Easter. This year my pay was 150.00. Way under what others offered on Easter. This is a good job and I'm grateful that they call me during the year. There is no reason to talk to them. Next year when they ask me to play for Easter, I'll ask what the pay is. If they say 150.00, I'll ask for the competitive rate. At this point, it would be bad business to say something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: