• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I learned an important lesson this morning

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
Dieter Z wrote:
trumpetchops wrote:
Dieter Z wrote:
I still don't know WHY the person who hired the OP has not VERY KINDLY ask why there was a difference to the usual pay. That may had solved the whole issue, or at least explained it.

I was hired by the music director of the church. He doesn't know about the pay because I didn't tell him.

Well, If I were in your shoes I would have kindly spoken to the Music Director after I saw the check, to see why there was a difference.

Why not give him a call now?

OK full disclosure:

I get hired to play a lot at this church. Just because they like good music. The pay on an average Sunday is 150.00. To me, that seems like good pay for just a Sunday morning gig. I get there at 7 for a 7:30 rehearsal. I'm out of the church before the sermon and home around 9:30. The music is always good stuff and I'm a good enough player that I can just read the part. The other musicians are always good and professional. I enjoy working with them. I have been hired to play second a few times and the guy playing first was way better than me so not only do I get paid but, I get paid to learn something too.

I have played on Easter many times for them and the pay was always competitive with other churches on Easter. This year my pay was 150.00. Way under what others offered on Easter. This is a good job and I'm grateful that they call me during the year. There is no reason to talk to them. Next year when they ask me to play for Easter, I'll ask what the pay is. If they say 150.00, I'll ask for the competitive rate. At this point, it would be bad business to say something.

And there we have it, makes total sense to me.

Brad
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it all boils down to the offer. Someone seeks you out for services. Their offer should include all the details you need to make an informed decision. If they don't know exactly what they're asking of you then it will be hard to meet their expectations and that's worse for you. Offers missing details reflect a lack of respect and professionalism. So then it's your choice to work with that type of person.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
I think it all boils down to the offer. Someone seeks you out for services. Their offer should include all the details you need to make an informed decision. If they don't know exactly what they're asking of you then it will be hard to meet their expectations and that's worse for you. Offers missing details reflect a lack of respect and professionalism. So then it's your choice to work with that type of person.

Based on Joe's explanation of what happened, I would have done the exact same thing that he did. And the truth is, even though he made considerably less than expected, it's not like he was stiffed completely, which has probably happened to most of us at least once.

And it really does not matter whether you have it in writing or not, if someone
decides to cheat you after the gig, are you going to take it to small claims court? Sure, you could, but the time you spend doing that is probably not worth what you MIGHT get, and even if you get a judgment in your favor that does not mean you'll ever collect on the judgement.

Joe is handling the situation exactly as I would.

Brad
houdini1313
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:

Hmm... I know a few music directors at Catholic churches, and they would want to know if there had been a problem or misunderstanding. They like to stay on good terms with good players and will often jump at the chance to do a favor or bank some goodwill for later.

Spot on, that has been my experience in several doniminations. Clear upfront communication and the basics (show up on time, well prepared, and nail the gig!) goes a long way. I had a great time at my Easter gig and I have the support of the MD and their office who pays!
Stomvi Piccolo

Hammond, Patrick, and Reeves Mouthpieces
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
When I'm contacted to play a gig, the questions I ask (usually in this order) are :

When is the gig (day and time)?
Where is the gig?
How many rehearsals (and where and when)?
What part will I be playing (and who are the other trumpet players)?
How much does it pay?
What's the dress?

Many times before I get to the question of payment, I have to decline the gig because of a conflict of some sort. Other times I decline it when find out how much (if any) they plan on paying.

The point of this is, always ask questions before you commit to a gig!

Asking those questions before the "money" question tells the contractor/hiring agent that you are interested in the gig for more than money. It tells them you are a serious musician who takes the details of the gig seriously, and someone I would think they would want to hire as part of the performance. I've done the same for a long time, and only had one instance where I was told that information wasn't necessary for me to know (the who else was playing) and that they had no idea (what part I would be playing, and what we were going to be playing, which I always ask so I know which horns to bring). I turned both down immediately. Neither even asked why, but amazingly both called a few days later to apologize for the prior person (a different person was calling), and to provide the information. They both got a positive reply from me the second call.

Those hiring are not always even the people you will be dealing with on a gig, and that frankly hurts their chances of getting me to play for them.

I will always ask these kinds of questions, because I want to have my best opportunity to be prepared and play well for the service or performance. When those calling cannot or will not provide information, your best bet is to kindly decline and thank them for asking you.

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: