• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Any Salsa Players (or Latin Music) Advice for a young player

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
casivake718

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Any Salsa Players (or Latin Music) Advice for a young player Reply with quote

I want to get into Salsa or Latin music in general. Anyone here play this genre? Any method books you recommend? I currently use Arbans, Clarke, Caruso and Schlossberg. Are these good for Salsa/Latin, or are there other books/methods I can play?
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salsa is born in NYC combining jazz and Afro-Cuban rhythms.

Learning to play in the Salsa style is just like any other trumpet method, but the rhythms are more tricky.

I don't know who you listen to, but the Nuyorican scene from the 70s is my favorite genre of Salsa. Hector Lavoe, Willie Colon, Fania All Stars, Celia Cruz and Johnny Pacheco, and modern stuff in that traditional vein would be Marc Anthony.

Listening to those rhythms and absorbing them will help with your Latin playing vocab. If you try and transcribe some solos, you'll find they are often just two chord vamps, and very simple lines in the solos. The rhythm is often more important than the notes in these simple solos and forms.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latin or Latin jazz is a much larger spectrum.

The most complex and beautiful in my opinion is Brazilian music. Bossa and sambas. Anything Antonio Jobim is where I'd start.

Or some Latin jazz/rock that every trumpeter should experience...a little on the light side is Chuck Mangione.

Then there's cunbia, merengue, bachata, and the list goes on and on with different Latin styles.

But maybe start with some salsa, bossa and samba and some Chuck Mangione.
casivake718

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mosyly listen to Machito and Tito Puente. Cuban salsa is my prefered style but I will also listen to Columbian salsa.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casivake718 wrote:
I mosyly listen to Machito and Tito Puente. Cuban salsa is my prefered style but I will also listen to Columbian salsa.

NYC salsa is hip because of all the jazz crossover in the rhythms and harmonies from being in the US. The stuff from the 70s was so killer!!

But love me some Machito as well!!!
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Salsa Players (or Latin Music) Advice for a young pl Reply with quote

casivake718 wrote:
I want to get into Salsa or Latin music in general. Anyone here play this genre? Any method books you recommend? I currently use Arbans, Clarke, Caruso and Schlossberg. Are these good for Salsa/Latin, or are there other books/methods I can play?

While you won't find Latin rhythms in them, developing facility on the instrument is always essential.

As far as advice on playing with Latin bands, hopefully the one you're looking at has a decent level of organization and dedication. The couple I've played with were plagued with issues that I perceived to be cultural. The biggest disaster gig I've ever played was with a Latin band due to the above mentioned issues. About the only thing that didn't happen was an airliner didn't crash into the venue.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Salsa Players (or Latin Music) Advice for a young pl Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
casivake718 wrote:

While you won't find Latin rhythms in them, developing facility on the instrument is always essential.

As far as advice on playing with Latin bands, hopefully the one you're looking at has a decent level of organization and dedication. The couple I've played with were plagued with issues that I perceived to be cultural. The biggest disaster gig I've ever played was with a Latin band due to the above mentioned issues. About the only thing that didn't happen was an airliner didn't crash into the venue.

I play gigs that are scheduled to go from 12 midnight till 4am. I used to show up at 11:30, get my stuff ready and be prepared to hit at 12.

The guys don't ever show up on time...at least an hour late and longer to start. And that's only the start of the issues. And this is with a KILLIN' band

Drugs and booze are more crazy than any rock gig I've done.

And oddly almost always, the horn section are white guys with glasses often the only white guys in the room.

Very interesting dynamics on those jobs, but it's some of my favorite playing to do!
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Salsa Players (or Latin Music) Advice for a young pl Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
The guys don't ever show up on time...at least an hour late and longer to start. And that's only the start of the issues.

Sounds familiar.

There was the time the leader apparently ignored previous protests by his neighbors and he almost got arrested during a rehearsal.

The last job I played with that band we were way over an hour late because the leader and his wife had a protracted shouting match in their bathroom vacillating between Spanish and English. If I had to guess it might have had something to do with his attention toward other ladies at the gigs. That was just the start of the night's festivities.

Both Latin bands I played with there always seemed to be a small village of people of various ages in the house - I couldn't even begin to guess how many of them actually lived there.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to hear some killer latin trumpet, listen to Masterpiece, a collaboration of tito and eddie palmieri. The trumpets are, David "Piro" Rodriguez*, John Walsh, Nelson Jaime, Ray Vega, Tony Lujan. It's incredible.

regards,

tom
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:
if you want to hear some killer latin trumpet, listen to Masterpiece, a collaboration of tito and eddie palmieri. The trumpets are, David "Piro" Rodriguez*, John Walsh, Nelson Jaime, Ray Vega, Tony Lujan. It's incredible.

regards,

tom

John Walsh is one of the most killin lead players on the salsa scene in town. Love hearing him play. Where is Ray Vega these days? Didn't he move to VT?
casivake718

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Salsa Players (or Latin Music) Advice for a young pl Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Robert P wrote:
casivake718 wrote:

I play gigs that are scheduled to go from 12 midnight till 4am. I used to show up at 11:30, get my stuff ready and be prepared to hit at 12.

The guys don't ever show up on time...at least an hour late and longer to start. And that's only the start of the issues. And this is with a KILLIN' band

Drugs and booze are more crazy than any rock gig I've done.

And oddly almost always, the horn section are white guys with glasses often the only white guys in the room.

Very interesting dynamics on those jobs, but it's some of my favorite playing to do!

Well, I'm just in high scool and my friends and I were trying to get a salsa band going. We're all hispanic so the music is in our blood. These stories are great. Sounds like a tough job both musically and professionally.
casivake718

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:

regards,

tom

Who is playing 1st?
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casivake718 wrote:
KRELL1960 wrote:

regards,

tom

Who is playing 1st?

they switch around on lead !

Do a google search for Gabriel rosati's - the Salsa latin Trumpet book, it may help you, but to me, just do a lot of listening and try to imitate.

regards,

tom
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More important than any book on Salsa and Afro-Cuban music is to engage in a lot of listening to as much music of the idiom, just like learning jazz. You don't learn art from a book, at least not by itself.

As a section player, with listening you will pick up much about phrasing-not only from listening to the horn section, but also the singers. As a soloist, there is a vocabulary that is commonly used, just like jazz. This vocabulary is made up not only of licks by trumpet players that are part to the style, but also melodies from folkloric music such as rumba and compasa, and melodies used in religious/Santaria music. Many of these melodies are used by latin trumpet players in their solos. On top of this, understanding how the phrasing works with clave is important-this again can be picked up by listening to singers when they are in the chorus/coro and improvised/pregon sections of the song-after the verses into the open sections. These singers mostly sing in clave. Taking a couple of percussion lessons and understanding how clave works is very helpful for the serious student of Salsa and Latin Jazz. I would also add that Salsa can be as sophisticated as jazz-in addition NY Salsa is often as much Puerto Rican as Cuban. Above all enjoy the journey!
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Salsa Players (or Latin Music) Advice for a young pl Reply with quote

casivake718 wrote:

Keep practice the Carusso every day listen as many recordings is possible and get a shalow Reeves piece.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to getting a shallow mouthpiece, one of the greatest trumpet players in the history of latin music, Alfredo "Chocolate" Armenteros hardly ever played above a F above high C, if ever.

I've played latin music most of my career but use a mouthpiece with about a 3C depth depth (Schilke 14B). The players I've seen in Salsa and latin music have used a variety of cup depths, just like other styles.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
robbo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played in a latin (primarily Salsa) scene for about 12 months, and has been the most fun I've had with my trumpet playing career.

I don't imaging there's any method book. No one should tackle any technical style without the books as you mentioned (Arbans etc). Otherwise really just lots of experience. I'd grown up laying in brass bands, swing bands, brass ensembles, dixieland bands etc and it all contributes. (I even took up salsa dancing lessons I loved it so much!!).

Overall I feel you need the technique to sound comfortable, and the musical awareness so sound relaxed in a quite frantic style.

Good luck, I envy you !!

If any readers are relaxing with some browsing, here's a salsa tune I wrote inspired by a band I played in you might like to have a listen to.

http://pigletmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Mambo-Jambo.mp3

Rob
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As another poster mentioned, the heartbeat of salsa music: the clave

I used to have a hard time reading a lot of rhythms as a youngster playing Latin music. Reading in cut time helped a lot, but I'd still stumble.

It wasn't until I'd really understood and felt the clave while reading did I really get the feel for reading and style. How and when to lay back and when to push.

Also I had a friend that turned me on to playing auxiliary percussion like congas, bongos, and the bell. Feeling the clave and cascara and being able to play some simple rhythms on aux percussion really turned things around.

Also when a gringo in the band is able to groove on some aux percussion on a gig, you'll turn some heads and get approval from the guys in the band fast!! Plus sometimes just standing there trying to awkwardly dance a bit while waiting to play can get boring having some percussion toys can ease those awkward moments if like me...you just can't dance no matter how hard you try.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
As another poster mentioned, the heartbeat of salsa music: the clave .

Exactly.

Once I learned to listen to the clave, listening to the how the bass fits into that - ("where's One!" LOL) - the rest fit in.

Well, or to put it into the negative, if I didn't know the clave and Bass, it made the rest of it a lot harder. So learn the clave.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
bamajazzlady
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay away from the drugs and booze as they are disadvantageous to being a musician.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: