• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry 600 series flugelhorn mouthpiece.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bassguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Curry 600 series flugelhorn mouthpiece. Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how these Curry rims really differ from the more prevalent ones? The hype (on MEs website) indicates they remain comfortable while fatigue sets in or words to that effect.

Will a similar size rimmed 600 feel larger, or smaller (compared to its normal Curry counterpart. (E.g, a Curry 10.5 has a 15.9mm rim, & a Curry 30 (600 series) has a 16mm rim. Otherwise negligible using the same rim, but one might feel smaller or larger.
gord-o
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since no one has replied yet I will try to answer. I have only tried two different sizes of the 600 series rim (60 and 70 sizes) and they are rounder than their standard series equivalents. I know I'm not really answering your question, but I doubt that the .1" difference between the 10.5 and the 30 will really matter. What will matter is if you will prefer the Bach-like standard rims or the rounder 600 series rims. I much prefer the 600 rims. I hope this helps.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Curry 600 series flugelhorn mouthpiece. Reply with quote

bassguy wrote:
Can anyone tell me how these Curry rims really differ from the more prevalent ones? The hype (on MEs website) indicates they remain comfortable while fatigue sets in or words to that effect.

Will a similar size rimmed 600 feel larger, or smaller (compared to its normal Curry counterpart. (E.g, a Curry 10.5 has a 15.9mm rim, & a Curry 30 (600 series) has a 16mm rim. Otherwise negligible using the same rim, but one might feel smaller or larger.

hey bassguy,

I have found that the 600 series feels ever so slightly larger than the standard line, but just ever so slightly so, but i attribute this to the slightly steeper undercut of the 600 series.
That little bit of extra room allows for a little lip swelling without bottoming out or stopping the vibration. All that being said i use very little lip intrusion and tend not to bottom out on just about anything, the rounder rim i find much more comfortable on the 600 series as well. Your situation may vary depending on how much lip you get inside the cup. since i am using the 00 size i have very little lip inside the cup to bottom out.

hope this helps,

regards,

tom
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the tone color throughout the range in the 600 series flugel pieces differ from the standard series if at all?

Regards, Guido
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuidoCorona wrote:
How does the tone color throughout the range in the 600 series flugel pieces differ from the standard series if at all?

Regards, Guido

Hey guido,

I don't find much difference in tone color with the flugel pieces from the 600 series to the standard. I think the extended V-shape does that for them. Just a slight different feeling with where the high point of those pieces are, I do however "feel" and "hear" a difference with the trumpet pieces. for me anyway, the 600 series "feels" tighter and brighter which is what i tend to need with the work that i do, fighting amps and tom tom's !! when i play tested the standard series it was a little too Bach-Like for me, not sure if that makes sense.

regards,

tom
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Tom for the information... If the 600 flugel series does not modify the admittedly marvellous tone of the standard Curry series, I will probably take a pass on it.

I was thinking of finding a flugel piece that is a little more brilliant than Current Fl-M. Fl-M is on my 1525 the most brilliant piece of my lot... More brilliant than Stork 2FLS and GR 66Fl.

Any ideas?

Guido
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuidoCorona wrote:
Thank you so much Tom for the information... If the 600 flugel series does not modify the admittedly marvellous tone of the standard Curry series, I will probably take a pass on it.

I was thinking of finding a flugel piece that is a little more brilliant than Current Fl-M. Fl-M is on my 1525 the most brilliant piece of my lot... More brilliant than Stork 2FLS and GR 66Fl.

Any ideas?

Guido

sorry guido, i can't be much more help on this. funny though, since your looking for a more brilliant sound on flugel, i would suggest that perhaps a shallower less V-shaped cup might be what your looking for. there is a video of Doc, playing Here's that rainy day on flugel that sounds very trumpet like to me, more brilliant than a flugel. I can only guess that his cup is less V-shaped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFac_omWrBg

check it out.

regards,

tom
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Tom, that was amazing playing! G.
bassguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gord-o wrote:
Since no one has replied yet I will try to answer. I have only tried two different sizes of the 600 series rim (60 and 70 sizes) and they are rounder than their standard series equivalents. I know I'm not really answering your question, but I doubt that the .1" difference between the 10.5 and the 30 will really matter. What will matter is if you will prefer the Bach-like standard rims or the rounder 600 series rims. I much prefer the 600 rims. I hope this helps.

So, in theory the rounder rims are more like the wicks? I am not a big fan of the Bsch. But I have found that the 16.5mm Wicks feels wider that then 16.5mm Curry 7. It takes at least a Curry 5 to match the feeling of the Wicks. So, a 600series Curry 7 should feel like a wicks?
bassguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Curry 600 series flugelhorn mouthpiece. Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:
bassguy wrote:

hey bassguy,

I have found that the 600 series feels ever so slightly larger than the standard line, but just ever so slightly so, but i attribute this to the slightly steeper undercut of the 600 series.
That little bit of extra room allows for a little lip swelling without bottoming out or stopping the vibration. All that being said i use very little lip intrusion and tend not to bottom out on just about anything, the rounder rim i find much more comfortable on the 600 series as well. Your situation may vary depending on how much lip you get inside the cup. since i am using the 00 size i have very little lip inside the cup to bottom out.

hope this helps,

regards,

tom

As I asked, is the round rim like a Wicks? I might try a 600 series 50FL or 60FL, whichever feels more like the Wicks 4FL
bassguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:
GuidoCorona wrote:

Any ideas?

Guido

sorry guido, i can't be much more help on this. funny though, since your looking for a more brilliant sound on flugel, i would suggest that perhaps a shallower less V-shaped cup might be what your looking for. there is a video of Doc, playing Here's that rainy day on flugel that sounds very trumpet like to me, more brilliant than a flugel. I can only guess that his cup is less V-shaped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFac_omWrBg

check it out.

regards,

tom

Presumably the Yamaha 11F4 is a converted trumpet mouthpiece with a u shaped cup. But it's 16.46mm wide & takes a Yamaha shank. I believe Guido uses a 16.76mm rim & the Yamaha fitted shank will only work with that Adam's he's contemplating purchasing--unless his Kanstul is old?

I ordered the 11F4 out of curiosity!
bassguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Curry 600 series flugelhorn mouthpiece. Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:
bassguy wrote:

I

hey bassguy,

hope this helps,

regards,

tom

Ever so slightly larger might not be comparable to Wicks. For a regular Curry you need a somewhere between a 5 & 3 to match the feel of a Wicks.maybe a 60 FL?

Interesting. 15.2mm is really small. I use lots of lip intrusion & use a 16.5mm rim. When I quit trumpet (35 years ago) I was using a 17.5mm Bach #1. I still don't really understand "bottoming out" but lip swelling becomes an issue sometimes. (BTW I really like the DW 4FL sound, & even a Curry 7 or 5 FL is a compromise made in the interest of going higher, & playing longer. An FLM doesn't do it for me in terms of sound).
SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the 50 FL series for while as well as the 50 series trumpet pieces. One of the things that liked about these pieces as opposed to the standard pieces is, at least from my perception, the bite on these pieces was softer than the standard pieces. I've actually gone full circle now and gone back to GR 3 rims, but that's what I remember about those 600 series pieces.
Getzen Severinsen
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassguy wrote:
gord-o wrote:

So, in theory the rounder rims are more like the wicks? I am not a big fan of the Bsch. But I have found that the 16.5mm Wicks feels wider that then 16.5mm Curry 7. It takes at least a Curry 5 to match the feeling of the Wicks. So, a 600series Curry 7 should feel like a wicks?

Hi bassguy

I have no idea what the Curry 600 series rims are like in the flesh, only how they are described on the Curry website.

i.e. The rim is specifically designed to give maximum comfort while allowing superior flexibility over the entire range of the horn. The bite allows you to comfortably grip the mouthpiece, rather than hooking your chops in. The steep undercut gives your chops the room to vibrate freely, no matter how tired and swollen you may be.

I'm however not sure that the Curry 600 rim is anything like a Denis Wick rim. Denis Wick cornet and trumpet mouthpieces seem to have a steep undercut like described above, but this is probably because they have deep cups. I haven't played a Denis Wick trumpet mouthpiece.

I however feel that rather than rounded, Denis Wick rims are pretty flat. I suppose it depends what element of the rim you are referring to. If you map a Bach 3C rim over a Denis Wick rim on the Kanstul comparator, they differ mostly in my opinion by the Bach 3C rim falling more to the outside. I prefer this and feel that the Denis Wick rims seem to clamp down my embouchure. Probably a rim that has less fall to the outside has a similar effect on the embouchure as a wider rim.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: