• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Receiver issue...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Receiver issue... Reply with quote

Hi,

I have acquired a Schilke and have an odd situation with the receiver. My standard Schilke mouthpiece bottoms out. However, a heavyweight Schilke mouthpiece, Yamaha, Bach are all fine. My Schilke mouthpiece does NOT bottom out on another Schilke I have.

I looked into having the receiver replaced but am afraid it will mess up the finish. What are my other options?

Would a sleeve work? I could have the mouthpiece cut down but that would impact the gap on other horns.

Thanks for your advice.

Steve
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact Schilke, they are very helpful, they might even replace the receiver under warranty.

Brad
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Receiver issue Reply with quote

Hello Steve,
You are stuck between a rock and a hard place. The used Schilke you picked up has a worn receiver, more than likely. I had to have two of my Schilke horns, receivers and or leadpipes replaced in the past. Either way, the finish at the brace and leadpipe will be compromised. The easiest/cheapest fix is to have a tech unsolder the receiver and re-position it about 1/8th inch out. The real fix is to have the receiver replaced. Schilke does repair on their own horns. They might recommend replacing the leadpipe as an assembly. That might be the best idea if your horn is older and has some red rot. Either way, the finish will be compromised, unless you have the horn replated after the work. Call Schilke. They are great people.
ss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies. I have already contacted both Schilke and my local tech and they both assured me I could count on having the finish messed with if they replace the receiver. Schilke suggested I have the horn re-plated after the receiver replacement which I'd rather not do, regardless of the cost. No it's not under warrantee as the horn is quite a few years old. It doesn't appear to have any red rot, or the start of it, either.

Steve
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another suggestion: get another Schilke mouthpiece - the same as the one you are currently using, and have it cut for Reeves Sleeves, then get the corresponding sleeve that allows you to both dial in the gap and not have the mouthpiece bottom out.

That may not be the most cost effective solution, but it doesn't mess with the horn.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or, just cut a tiny bit off the length of the offending mouthpiece shank...
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worn reciever on your leadpipe.

Very typical cal on lightweight horns from Benge, Schilke and others. Especially one of your horn's age.

Schilke receivers are funky anyway and are set for a different gap than other horns. This is why Schilke mouthpiece backbores are shaped differently and have a different length. Over the years maybe players have rammed in other mouthpieces trying to make them seat better, or just years of thin brass being moved about from normal mouthpiece insertion and removal.

A new receiver is no biggie. The work can often be done with out taking the lead pipe off the trumpet. And the finish flaws would be kept to a minimum. Even after the work taking it to have some silver plate added where it was removed by a jeweler is not expensive or difficult. But playability would be my main concern.

The other mentioned option is to have your mouthpiece cut for Sleeves. This way you can adjust the gap as you see fit and not worry about a misshaped receiver. This has saved a lot of hassle on a couple Benges I've had with similar problems.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, all of my mouthpieces are cut for Reeves Sleeves and have been since the early 90s. Makes things a lot easier when switching horns.

The Sleeves themselves are cheap, the cost to cut your mouthpiece is around maybe $40-60 as I recall?? I do t remember, but it's worth the price and you only have to buy the sleeves once.

Although I read Reeves now has Sleeves in half sizes??? I must resist the urge to buy any!!!!
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
The Sleeves themselves are cheap, the cost to cut your mouthpiece is around maybe $40-60 as I recall??

Less than that for me - I have a friend with a lathe who can set it up and cut it for sleeves in about 10 minutes. I just realized that he did this, so I'm probably going to get a couple of copies of my favorite pieces and have him cut them down.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:

Although I read Reeves now has Sleeves in half sizes??? I must resist the urge to buy any!!!!

I think they actually have them down to quarter sizes...

http://www.osmun.com/mouthpieces/reeves-sleeve.html
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
Benge.nut wrote:

I think they actually have them down to quarter sizes...

http://www.osmun.com/mouthpieces/reeves-sleeve.html

That's what I meant! 1/4 sizes. Too crazy even for a gear head like me!!

I like a 4.5 I've had for years on my Benges. I was at a point where I THOUGHT I could tell differences between five different 4.5 sleeves I had. I was losing my mind.

They all sit in a drawer now and I don't even look at them. Pandora's Box is CLOSED!!
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before doing anything, measure. Don't assume it is worn.

1. Measure the mouthpiece that is bottoming out. The old Schilke had smaller shank dimensions. Measure the mpcs that don't bottom out and determine the gap.
2. Measure the receiver. It will take a special touch and tooling.
3. Call Charlie Melk if he replaced it or moved it you would not be able to tell. He is really good and can spot plate. He can measure and has his own Schilke replacement receivers.
www.charliesbrassworks.com

www.grmouthpieces.com
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first Schilke Symphony piece I bought bottomed out and wobbled in my Strad. I had to get it sleeved to solve the problem. And when I dialed in the gap the piece played way better.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every schilke Bb I ever owned was very mouthpiece sensitive. Some Warburton's wobbled, Curry's wobbled, Greg Black's wobbled etc and the only way things got corrected was to use Sleeves.

One things were dialed in every Schilke Bb I ever owned were some of the best trumpets I ever played. I especially miss a B7L I had from the 70s I wish I never sold. I had a bunch of different bells and got so frustrated with always switching and looking for the perfect bell, and perfect placement of the tuning bell....I finally gave up and sold all of them.

Man they sure sear and pop and play remarkably well in tune when everything is lined up.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wrap some plumbers teflon tape to fit. Or use beeswaxed string. Down the road you can always upgrade to sleeves.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottfsmith wrote:
Just wrap some plumbers teflon tape to fit. Or use beeswaxed string. Down the road you can always upgrade to sleeves.

You know, now that it has been mentioned, I always put thin clear packing tape on my Schilke 14A4 when I used it with my Schilke B6. I think I'm one of the few players who actually like some additional resistance to push against, and by doing that, it extended the gap by about 1/16th of an inch, which seemed to help it for me.

There were a couple of good things about doing this rather than trying to go to sleeves:

1.) It didn't change anything on the horn or mouthpiece - it was undo-able.

2.) It was repeatable - if it got worn, I just redid it.

3.) It was cheap - packing tape is peanuts compared to custom mouthpiece or horn alterations.

4.) It was invisible and protected the silver plating of the mouthpiece

I did this for at least a decade.
- ACB Doubler

Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian has the best advice here. I don't believe, and you should not assume the receiver is worn, just about every new Schilke mpc I've ever bought had to be ground off slightly to use in my 2 B3s and CXL. All were too long. I had the same problem with my Yam 9445CHS- Schilke mouthpiece butted against the end of the leadpipe as well. Get someone to shorten it for you if you cannot make a precise trim and deburr/chamfer. Ren (Schilke) always claimed his trumpets played best with no gap, I concur, at least with mine. Good luck. (edited to remove the fxxking auto correct BS)

Last edited by Craig Swartz on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I'd want to grind down the mouthpiece - as a friend, a customer mouthpiece maker, once said to me before adjusting a mouthpiece to fit with a tighter gap in the receiver of a Strad I had, "I can take metal off, but I can't put it back on."

For me, I always thought it was interesting that a Schilke mouthpiece wasn't gapped where I needed it to be in a Schilke trumpet, and that it needed some adjustment, but the packing tape trick certainly helped. Was it "ideal?" Not really, but it I made a lot of money with that trumpet/mouthpiece setup in the 10 years I used it that way.
- ACB Doubler

Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you do not remove material how do you make it shorter?
Flip Oakes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply have the mpc., machined for Reeves Sleeves.
760-643-1501

Delivering the distinctive Wild Thing Sound since 1994
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: