• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sub-$1000 Cornet Suggestions? Carolbrass/JP/Brasspire?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Stevenson wrote:
If you are serious about becoming a cornet player with hopes for tone, style and flexibility then the Besson 1000 series offers the best (perhaps only) low cost choice......

I have to +1 this based on my experience.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
qcm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would very seriously consider a used Getzen Eterna cornet.

They most definitely do not sound trumpet-like, have fabulous valves, and are IMO, arguably the best bang-for-the-buck cornet out there.

I'm really kind of surprised that no one recommended this earlier.

-Dave

Kanstuls, LA Benges and a Selmer picc.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qcm wrote:
I would very seriously consider a used Getzen Eterna cornet.

They most definitely do not sound trumpet-like, have fabulous valves, and are IMO, arguably the best bang-for-the-buck cornet out there.

I'm really kind of surprised that no one recommended this earlier.

-Dave

I just checked and they are £1,850 here which is $2367 and on par with a Besson Sovereign or a Yamaha Xeno.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing Dave was suggesting a used Eterna.
ajwan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Stevenson wrote:
If you are serious about becoming a cornet player with hopes for tone, style and flexibility then the Besson 1000 series offers the best (perhaps only) low cost choice......

Would you mind explaining why the Besson 1000 series makes such a good training horn? I found the stuffy sound a bit annoying. But then again, I can't say I've played many horns out there, but is the so - called "stuffiness" I mentioned (and others have mentioned too) in regards to the Besson 1020 supposed to be part of the overall package of what makes a cornet sound?
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
Bob Stevenson wrote:

I have to +1 this based on my experience.

Austin Custom Brass 1020 Besson:

http://austincustombrass.mybigcommerce.com/demo-besson-1020-cornet-in-lacquer/

Ebay Getzen Eterna:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Getzen-Eterna-Cornet-With-Original-Hard-Shell-Case-/282274068033

Besson is half the price?

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
qcm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
I just checked and they are £1,850 here which is $2367 and on par with a Besson Sovereign or a Yamaha Xeno.

Hi Gordon,

Just did a search on Ebay over here, and they have one with its hard shell case for $1049.99 or £819.59.

Yes, it has some obvious lacquer wear, but that won't affect the playability of the horn.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/282274068033?_mwBanner=1

-Dave

Kanstuls, LA Benges and a Selmer picc.
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really comment on the "stuffiness" of any cornet against another,...certainly it IS true that American cornets have (usually) a big, open sound compared with those used in UK military and brass bands. Getzen cornets are very well made instruments with a very loud, dynamic sound envelope. However, here in the UK we have a high number of great cornet players who can demonstrate incredibly high levels of musicianship. The best of these people tend to use the Sovereign, or one of it's derivatives. I am not aware of any of the top group of cornet players using a Getzen or similar model, probably because, good as they are, they simply don't offer the musical characteristics required for virtuoso performance, despite the undeniably 'collected' sound envelope of the Sovereign types.

....It may well be that there IS a virtuoso soloist using a non Sov. type here but I am not aware of one.

When Getzen first launched the Eterna her in the Uk in the early 1970's it amazed Uk brass players as the instruments were very well made and presented with beautiful finish and excellent carrying cases. However, two features casued them to not make it into the top bands;......an incoherent sound texture and a different intonation set-up from Uk brands.

When we tested the Besson 1000 series in my own band we were surprised that there was very little musical difference compared to various Sov. models apart from less visual 'quality' and lack of triggers.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Sub-$1000 Cornet Suggestions? Carolbrass/JP/Brasspire? Reply with quote

ajwan wrote:
First time poster/emailer (through trumpetherald), but long time reader! Finally got around to registering in TH.

I currently have only a Carolbrass CCR-7775-YSS-Eb-S as my main horn. I'd like to get something keyed lower to facilitate practicing with my beginner daughter. Yes, this was a painful decision to make as the fingerings are different as I'm used to the Eb. But as they say, it's for the children! As a result I may part with my Eb.

Before I get to the shortlist I did get a chance to compare my Eb to a used Besson 1020 I was considering (but have precluded). Here's what I found (even if I"m comparing apples to oranges):

1) the CB Eb cornet has a wonderfully warm and resonant tone throughout the range;
2) surprising to me, the CB Eb cornet's low end continued to be richer, warmer, and and more resonant compared to the Besson, even though the Eb is a soprano (used the same stock 7C mouthpiece on both);
3) the valves on the CB Eb were silky and buttery smooth;
4) the Besson had a decent sound, but was "stuffy"; like as though you were trying to sing while having a cold;

Hi Andrew

Welcome to the forum.

In my experience, this is owing to you trying the Besson with a Bach style cornet mouthpiece, and I believe that you would not experience this if you played this cornet with a Denis Wick cornet mouthpiece such as the 4B.

I'll read the rest of the thread and probably contribute later.

Take care and best wishes

Lou

5) the Besson valves were noisy and had a tendency to stick during slur phrases (no matter how many times I cleaned and oiled);
6) the CB Eb seemed to blow freer while the Besson continued to blow "stuffy".

For my purposes, I'm mainly playing for church services. Sometimes I'll be playing simple solo parts - in these situations on my Eb, my Dennis Wick S works great (may consider a deeper mouthpiece soon). On other times I'll be playing alone alongside an organ and choir - in these situations, I use a Bach 7DW which helps me cut through the choir/organ. Given these requirements, I suppose I'm looking for a cornet that is versatile enough to have this mix of solo/intimacy, and enough projection to cut through an organ/choir.

My shortlist is the following:
1) John Packer JP271SW
2) Carolbrass CCR-3880-GSS-SGG
3) Brasspire BPCT-B4S

I've got a bad case of analysis/paralysis in deciding between the three. The Carolbrass and Brasspire are roughly the same pricepoint (~$1000 give or take) while the JP comes in at less. There are plenty of excellent reviews on the Carolbrass and Brasspire so I won't mention them too much here (although I'll note the JP and Brasspire comes with 1st and 3rd slide triggers while the Carolbrass doesn't; not a big deal, but worth noting).

The Brasspire is not very well known (but I've read only excellent reviews for horns made by this Japanese company), but is a 0.462" bore, red brass leadpipe, two-piece red brass bell, nickel-silver tuning slide, and a nickel-silver/yellow brass valve casing. The engineer (Kei Aruga) considers the Brasspire sound to be heavier and darker than a Besson 928 Sovereign. I suspect it would play a lot like the Carolbrass CCR-6882T-RSS-L. The engineer also mentioned that the 3880 (to him) is too trumpet-like in sound; he purposely designed the Brasspire cornet's sound to be warmer and not so bright.

There's no way for me to play-test these models as no-one locally (Burnaby, BC, Canada) carries stock of either. But I've narrowed my choices to the Carol and Brasspire given their excellent value price-points (I'm not interested in getting a high-end Yamaha or Besson etc).

Days and nights spent thinking about this and causing me to lose sleep!

Some feedback and guidance.

Cheers,
Andrew

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs

Last edited by Louise Finch on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that the OP wants to play Bb cornet with organ in church services, and would like an instrument that makes it easier to play softer/intimate music but is also capable of cutting through while playing with a full organ. I don't see any mention of playing in a British-style brass band, so that opens up the range of possibilities.

Since you've already ordered two instruments, you might just sit tight and play-test them when they arrive. Maybe one of these will give you what you're looking for.

Since you're located in Canada, I would second the recommendation to consider a used Getzen Eterna or Capri if you're still in the market. These are fine instruments that should be readily available in the used market and would do the job. At least they're worth your consideration, I think. A used Yamaha student cornet would also be worth a play-test.

Here's one more tip: I wouldn't be too discouraged during a play test if an instrument seems stuffy. You might not be testing with an optimal mouthpiece choice. And you might not be playing the instrument the way it likes to be played. I would play test an instrument with the goal of assessing how it might work for you once you've figured out the right mouthpiece and playing approach for that instrument.
Piccolo Stomvi
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:

Here's one more tip: I wouldn't be too discouraged during a play test if an instrument seems stuffy. You might not be testing with an optimal mouthpiece choice. And you might not be playing the instrument the way it likes to be played. I would play test an instrument with the goal of assessing how it might work for you once you've figured out the right mouthpiece and playing approach for that instrument.

+1

Hi again Andrew

I managed to find the time to read the rest of the replies.

As someone who has previously owned three different Besson Sovereign cornets from three different eras and have played my step daughters Besson 1000, I am absolutely positive that cornets (and the Yamaha short model cornets to a lesser extent) both play and sound stuffy with a Bach style cornet mouthpiece, because these cornets are designed to be played with a British style cornet mouthpiece with a deeper cup, larger throat and more open backbore i.e. a mouthpiece with less resistance.

I would suggest pairing a Besson cornet with a Denis Wick mouthpiece.

Regarding the cornets you mention, I haven't played any of them to be honest. Since you already have the brasspire and JP on order, please let us know how you get on with them when they arrive.

My personal suggestion would probably be a used Yamaha short model cornet with a Yamaha E cup mouthpiece, but this is my personal preference and bias. Personally I prefer the Yamaha Xeno to the Besson Sovereign.

Good luck and best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
ajwan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:

Thanks for the very thoughtful tip!

Cheers.
ajwan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
dstdenis wrote:

+1

Hi again Andrew

As someone who has previously owned three different Besson Sovereign cornets from three different eras and have played my step daughters Besson 1000, I am absolutely positive that cornets (and the Yamaha short model cornets to a lesser extent) both play and sound stuffy with a Bach style cornet mouthpiece, because these cornets are designed to be played with a British style cornet mouthpiece with a deeper cup, larger throat and more open backbore i.e. a mouthpiece with less resistance.

Regarding the cornets you mention, I haven't played any of them to be honest. Since you already have the brasspire and JP on order, please let us know how you get on with them when they arrive.

My personal suggestion would probably be a used Yamaha short model cornet with a Yamaha E cup mouthpiece, but this is my personal preference and bias. Personally I prefer the Yamaha Xeno to the Besson Sovereign.

Lou

Feeling a little humbled to be in the company with the Xeno/Sovereign crowd, considering my modest budget.

But thanks Lou, you always write thoughtful posts. Will consider a mouthpiece change too.

Cheers.
ajwan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
I see that the OP wants to play Bb cornet with organ in church services, and would like an instrument that makes it easier to play softer/intimate music but is also capable of cutting through while playing with a full organ. I don't see any mention of playing in a British-style brass band, so that opens up the range of possibilities.

The JP will eventually go to my daughter as her competency increases and she enters her school band (the school band teacher is partial to V. Williams and G. Holst arrangements), although I may try it on occasion. Hence the desire for a more traditional (and reasonably priced) cornet. She's taking individual lessons right now using a Besson 1020. But it's rather beat-up (not that there's anything wrong with it).
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajwan wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
dstdenis wrote:

+1

Hi again Andrew

Lou

Hi Andrew

Feeling a little humbled to be in the company with the Xeno/Sovereign crowd, considering my modest budget.

There truly is no need, I assure you.

But thanks Lou, you always write thoughtful posts.

Thank you very much for your kind words. I've had another thought. I'm not sure how readily available they are in Canada, but my spare cornet is a Boosey and Hawkes Imperial (low pitch model). I only paid £75 GBP for mine admittedly around 10 years ago, and they have gone up quite a bit in price since (some are selling for around the £300 GBP mark), but it is a nice sweet sounding little cornet and a professional model in its day. Admittedly it has no triggers, but its intonation is pretty reasonable. The lower model Boosey and Hawkes Regent is not too bad either. Admittedly the smaller sound of these cornets does not really fit the sound profile or dynamic range of a modern brass band, but for playing with an organ, or alongside your daughter, I reckon that my Imperial would be just great.

Just an example of one for sale in the UK (I haven't taken the time to look at its condition):

https://www.johnpacker.co.uk/prod/secondhand-b-amp-h-imperial-bb-cornet-frosty-silver-plate

Will consider a mouthpiece change too.

I do feel that you will likely get better results with a British Brass Band-style cornet mouthpiece, if you choose a British Brass Band-style short model cornet.

Cheers.

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
ajwan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
ajwan wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
dstdenis wrote:

+1

Hi again Andrew

Lou

Hi Andrew

Thank you very much for your kind words. I've had another thought. I'm not sure how readily available they are in Canada, but my spare cornet is a Boosey and Hawkes Imperial (low pitch model). I only paid £75 GBP for mine admittedly around 10 years ago, and they have gone up quite a bit in price since (some are selling for around the £300 GBP mark), but it is a nice sweet sounding little cornet and a professional model in its day. Admittedly it has no triggers, but its intonation is pretty reasonable. The lower model Boosey and Hawkes Regent is not too bad either. Admittedly the smaller sound of these cornets does not really fit the sound profile or dynamic range of a modern brass band, but for playing with an organ, or alongside your daughter, I reckon that my Imperial would be just great.

Just an example of one for sale in the UK (I haven't taken the time to look at its condition):

https://www.johnpacker.co.uk/prod/secondhand-b-amp-h-imperial-bb-cornet-frosty-silver-plate

I do feel that you will likely get better results with a British Brass Band-style cornet mouthpiece, if you choose a British Brass Band-style short model cornet.

Cheers.

Take care

Lou

Hello Lou,

One more comment/question for you. I normally play with a Dennis Wick S (which was sent to me as a promo back when I barely knew anything about Dennis Wick, admittedly). But I knew to switch out with either a Bach 7C (stock mouthpiece) or 7DW if i needed a more cutting sound. I understand now that the Dennis Wick S is on the shallowest end of their cornet mouthpiece offerings. Would a 4B be more appropriate (I'm only a comeback player) for a more traditional sound from a short-model?
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Stevenson wrote:
I can't really comment on the "stuffiness" of any cornet against another,...certainly it IS true that American cornets have (usually) a big, open sound compared with those used in UK military and brass bands. Getzen cornets are very well made instruments with a very loud, dynamic sound envelope. However, here in the UK we have a high number of great cornet players who can demonstrate incredibly high levels of musicianship. The best of these people tend to use the Sovereign, or one of it's derivatives. I am not aware of any of the top group of cornet players using a Getzen or similar model, probably because, good as they are, they simply don't offer the musical characteristics required for virtuoso performance, despite the undeniably 'collected' sound envelope of the Sovereign types.

....It may well be that there IS a virtuoso soloist using a non Sov. type here but I am not aware of one.

When Getzen first launched the Eterna her in the Uk in the early 1970's it amazed Uk brass players as the instruments were very well made and presented with beautiful finish and excellent carrying cases. However, two features casued them to not make it into the top bands;......an incoherent sound texture and a different intonation set-up from Uk brands.

When we tested the Besson 1000 series in my own band we were surprised that there was very little musical difference compared to various Sov. models apart from less visual 'quality' and lack of triggers.

Maybe not your style of virtuoso but....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elo0SPMo6qg

And yes, I own a cornet like this and IMO it's a great solo instrument.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajwan wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
ajwan wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
dstdenis wrote:

+1

Hi again Andrew

Lou

Hi Andrew

Cheers.

Take care

Lou

Hello Lou,

One more comment/question for you. I normally play with a Dennis Wick S (which was sent to me as a promo back when I barely knew anything about Dennis Wick, admittedly). But I knew to switch out with either a Bach 7C (stock mouthpiece) or 7DW if i needed a more cutting sound. I understand now that the Dennis Wick S is on the shallowest end of their cornet mouthpiece offerings. Would a 4B be more appropriate (I'm only a comeback player) for a more traditional sound from a short-model?

Hi Andrew

I would say yes, and probably even the deeper Denis Wick 4, if you want a true British Brass band cornet tone, which is probably more of a modern cornet tone than traditional.

For a traditional cornet tone, I'd probably go with a Curry VC or something along those lines, but I'm not sure how well the Curry VC matches a modern short model cornet, and consider the Denis Wick a safer choice.

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a Wick 4 provides THE brass band cornet sound. As the Wick site says, it's "the perfect cornet mouthpiece"...

Of course, that wonderful brass band tone comes at a price - more difficult upper register and less endurance. I do like it better than the Wick 4B, though.
Hugh Anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buescher is worth it just for the engraving;>)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: