• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

My new mouthpiece products from James R New

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: My new mouthpiece products from James R New Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I just thought that I would share that my mouthpieces are finally sorted.

I have been dialling in gap on my trumpets with my James R New custom 3C tops (custom as in they are a copy of the cup end of my particular 2005 trumpet bach 3C) and James R New custom backbores (custom in that he has made me copies of a standard Bach 10 trumpet backbore, which are not the same as the S backbore which he stocks in his mouthpiece range).

Mouthpieces insert the same distance in my Bach 37 and Yamaha Xeno II. My original 2005 Bach 3C, which according to a UK mouthpiece tech. gaps on the larger side of the range which he has found for modern Bach mouthpieces, inserts 24mm, whereas the 16C4 supplied with my Yamaha Xeno II, inserts 25mm.

Through first experimenting with Jim New's gap modulator and ascertaining that the 25mm insertion amount of the supplied 16C4, works best for me with my custom mouthpiece on my Xeno II, and subsequently Jim New sending me a few sleeves to try, I went with his 16.5 sleeve on my Xeno II.

Wanting something which gaps between my original Bach 3C and the 6.5 sleeve on my Bach 37 (probably something along the lines of a Bach mouthpiece that gaps on the smaller side of the usual range), Jim New kindly made me a 6.25 sleeve.

It arrived yesterday, and is exactly what I wanted.

Thanks very much Jim, if you read this.

Best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny how there is no rhyme or reason why a certain gap works for a certain individual.

And it's equally amazing how much difference such a minor adjustment in gap makes with regard to articulation, intonation and overall blow.

I went crazy at one point with a ton of sleeves. Even about a half dozen 4.5 sleeves until I finally found one I liked. And ironically it was the very first one Bob Reeves sent me after he cut my first mouthpiece for sleeves.

But alas, they're all hidden in a drawer so I'm not tempted to get into experiment mode again.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, what is the cost generally to have a mouthpiece cut for sleeves and then what is the cost for a bunch of sleeves? Is there a system that doesn't require ordering back and forth?

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Out of curiosity, what is the cost generally to have a mouthpiece cut for sleeves and then what is the cost for a bunch of sleeves? Is there a system that doesn't require ordering back and forth?

Reeves charges $50 to convert a piece to accept sleeves, and I think sleeves cost about $20 per.

Not a very expensive investment. Especially if you use sleeves for different pieces on different horns.

I've had everything cut except flugelhorn pieces. I dunno if they even do that?!?! But for the limited flug playing I do, and the lack of any specific problems, I think I'll leave that safari alone
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
It's funny how there is no rhyme or reason why a certain gap works for a certain individual.

And it's equally amazing how much difference such a minor adjustment in gap makes with regard to articulation, intonation and overall blow.

I went crazy at one point with a ton of sleeves. Even about a half dozen 4.5 sleeves until I finally found one I liked. And ironically it was the very first one Bob Reeves sent me after he cut my first mouthpiece for sleeves.

But alas, they're all hidden in a drawer so I'm not tempted to get into experiment mode again.

Hi Benge.nut

I'm not sure about the no rhyme or reason part (I'll explain later), but agree with the rest. For me personally, I find that I like a gap very much like that generated with the supplied mouthpiece. With my Yamaha Xeno II trumpte, despite experimenting with Jim New's gap modulator, I couldn't improve on the insertion amount of that of the supplied Yamaha 16C4. With Bach mouthpieces, I prefer the gap of the ones I started on in 1994, which seem to insert around 0.5 -1.0mm further than my ones from 2005, and have replicated this gap via sleeves on the custom 3Cs which I today use on my Bach 37 and Bach 184ML. Do I prefer a gap less than the 1/8" usually considered as ideal with a Bach trumpet/Bach mouthpiece, or did my 2005 mouthpieces generate a larger than 1/8" gap, I don't know, as I haven't measured the actual gap, and have just replicated insertion amounts.

Regarding the rhyme or reason part, I personally like slightly slippery slotting, and a little more open blow. Given the choice between too much and too little gap, I'd choose the latter. Knowing this, I tend to decrease gap rather than increase gap with sleeves.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:

Hi Richard III

Out of curiosity, what is the cost generally to have a mouthpiece cut for sleeves and then what is the cost for a bunch of sleeves?

Jim New charges $50 (or an extra $50 on the top of the cost of a new mouthpiece/backbore) to cut a mouthpiece/backbore for sleeves. He supplies one sleeve free of charge, and charges $20 for extra sleeves.

Is there a system that doesn't require ordering back and forth?

Probably to some extent knowing what you want and talking to Jim New. Experimenting with his gap modulator is also very helpful.

I knew from trying Jim New's stock backbores, how they inserted in the receiver of my trumpet, and from experimenting with his gap modulator and other mouthpieces, that I wanted to increase the insertion amount of his backbores from 24mm to 25mm. After explaining what I wanted, Jim New sent me a 6, 6.5 and 7 sleeve to try with another backbore cut for sleeves. I picked what played best for me (the one in the middle which Jim New probably suspected hence his choice of three sleeves), and sent the others back.

Admittedly I had to try the stock backbore first, to know that I wanted something different, but Jim New is very knowledgeable and if you were to for example send him a mouthpiece to cut for sleeves and let him know whether you feel that you'd like more or less gap, why, and how great a difference you are trying to achieve, he'd be able to cut your mouthpiece for sleeves and send you a selection of likely sleeve candidates to try.

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Richard III wrote:

Reeves charges $50 to convert a piece to accept sleeves, and I think sleeves cost about $20 per.

Not a very expensive investment. Especially if you use sleeves for different pieces on different horns.

I've had everything cut except flugelhorn pieces. I dunno if they even do that?!?! But for the limited flug playing I do, and the lack of any specific problems, I think I'll leave that safari alone

Hi Benge.nut

Yes, I agree. I've had my trumpet and some of my cornet mouthpieces cut for sleeves, but have never found the need with flugel.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I tried out my new 6.25 sleeve on my Bach 37 at my jazz band rehearsal on Friday. I also took my Yamaha Xeno II, which I played with an identical top/backbore but a 6.5 sleeve.

My new 6.25 sleeve played better in the band room than even I was expecting, and I already knew before I left home that it played well.

Since we generally play each number through twice, I used both trumpets.

I haven't played my Bach 37 for a while, and was surprised just how big and round its sound is.

However I found that the Xeno II had a more even response throughout the registers.

Personally my personal preference is for the playing characteristic of the Xeno II, but my Bach really does have a nice sound.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Lou!

I am also very happy with Jim's "stuff"
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
Congrats Lou!

Hi razeontherock

Thank you very much.

I am also very happy with Jim's "stuff"

I'm very pleased to hear this.

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: