• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen Custom Reserve 4895 Flugelhorn

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Getzen Custom Reserve 4895 Flugelhorn Reply with quote

I was finally able to cajole my Getzen district manager to get us one of the new Custom Reserve flugelhorns to check out. It is a beautiful instrument. A nice large copper bell and 3 leadpipes made of different materials for slight changes in response and color. The sound is very big yet controllable.

If anyone is in the market for a flugel they owe it to themselves to check out this model. Brett and crew have really done it right! We will have this at the shop for a little while for those of you in the central Florida area to check out!
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered recording a brief video demo and posting it on YouTube? I was in the market for a flugel last summer and couldn't find any video demos of this one.
Piccolo Stomvi
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1!!!

All reports point to 4895 being an impressive flugel…. But the couple of clips floating on the internet are not at all telling of the instrument.

This lovely deserve a thorough demo clip featuring all its three lead pipes, its custom-designed Griego mouthpiece, as well as some of most popular flugel pieces…. I am thinking of Curry Fl-D, Fl, Fl-M, as well as the Wick Fl.

Hope such a video can happen soon… It has been long in coming.

Regards, Guido
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Getzen Custom Reserve 4895 Flugelhorn Reply with quote

ScottA wrote:

If anyone is in the market for a flugel they owe it to themselves to check out this model. Brett and crew have really done it right! We will have this at the shop for a little while for those of you in the central Florida area to check out!

Roger that! I live about 45 minutes drive from the factory. Took a tour to test this baby out. Was blown away not only by the sheer quality and versatility of this horn, but also how they run their business. They are primed to come up with more home runs.

The 3 leadpipes that come with the horn do more than just change tone color. Stick the nickel pipe in, and it becomes as fleet footed as the Schilke. Nice case, too.

Also, this thread shows the development, and other reviews:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=126181&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

You should definitely make a youtube recording of this beauty! Look at how Trent Austin and HornTrader have used that to build their businesses ...
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am just too old school but considering how player/mouthpiece/room then computer/speaker/room dependent any recording will be I don't understand how much good this will really do.

Would someone really buy an instrument based on how it sounds on their speakers/headphones with someone else playing it on the internet? I certainly hope not.

What do some others out there think?
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott, in an ideal world, I would not…. I would walk to my neighborhood brass store and regale myself playtesting a variety of instruments…. Or I would attend ITG or NAM, where I would be able to hear and play just about everything manufactured this side of the Milky Way before making my decision.

Yet, I not living in the ideal World aforementioned, and not there bing a representative brass store around, and me having no chance to attend a conference, I would in fact purchase a horn based on third party reports and, whenever possible, internet audio clips, played consistently on my computer speakers. In fact, I have… For all my horns, with more than desirable results so far.

Reality is, that while we are more and more in a global economy, Stores are becoming fewer and further apart, relatively few of us have the opportunity of attending shows and conferences…. And the only thing growing is the pervasiveness of the internet for information and commercial transactions.

Thus… My plea for the eDemo of the Getzen Custom Reserve flugel.
Saluti, G.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottA wrote:
Would someone really buy an instrument based on how it sounds on their speakers/headphones with someone else playing it on the internet? I certainly hope not.

I have. I bought my Courtois 155 flugel from eBay after listening to several youtube videos. The instrument isn't available for trial or sale in local music stores, so videos were the best I could do. I would have been happy to buy it from a local dealer if I could.

The video demos didn't sound exactly the same, and I don't sound exactly like any of the demos either, but it gave me a ballpark idea of what the instrument sounds like. My expectations were met, and I've been very happy with it.

I was also hesitant to take the plunge on an instrument, the Getzen flugel, that is noticeably absent from YouTube. That was the relevant question for me: would I buy an instrument without playing it, with no idea of what it sounds like, and that has very little presence on the internet? I wasn't comfortable with that.
Piccolo Stomvi
fox
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

Nice to hear you are stocking more pro horns. Last time I saw you, you had some nice stuff, but not as much as you used to have.

I would not buy anything just by listening to someone else play either live or on line. But I can see how it can be a good marketing strategy.

I do love your store- always a nice visit. What other horns do you have in stock. Any more Getzens?

Doug
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Doug--Probably stocking more than we should given our location and demographics! The prices of the pro line horns scare off many parents and there is certainly not a "pro" market around here. The Getzen 700 is still our best seller but we don't stock any of the Custom Series trumpets--just the trombones. This beautiful flugelhorn is on loan from my district manager and I am very happy to have it. It shows what a great job they are doing up there at Getzen.
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott, creating a video is a marketing technique for the long term..... Your 4895 loner will be with you for a while only.... But if you record a video of it before the Getzen marketing manager needs the instrument back, it will be watched by scores of potential customers who might decide to contact you for years to come.... in your local area, in Florida, the whole USA, and all over the Orb.... Even if it generated only a couple more sales for the next 5 years, it will be a well spent investment of time and resources for your general growth business.

G.

Last edited by GuidoCorona on Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
fox
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, so I take it that you stock the 700. Is that the Eterna or the SP? My flugel is actually an Eterna which I am not looking to replace since I don't play it too much. Would be nice to compare though.

Loved the 3052 you had a few years ago(maybe more than a few years). Wouldn't mind trying the 700 if it is the Eterna.
Doug
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we have 3 or 4 700S Eterna's in right now.
fox
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still open Saturdays?
rlk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox wrote:
You still open Saturdays?

It's on their 'Contact' and other pages: http://thehornsection.com/?page_id=127

Business Hours:
    Monday: 10AM to 6PM
    Tuesday: 10AM to 6PM
    Wednesday: 10AM to 6PM
    Thursday: 10AM to 6PM
    Friday: 10AM to 5:30PM
    Saturday: 10AM to 3PM
    Sunday: Closed
fox
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks rlk. I saw that. Sometimes stores close up early on Saturdays here in Florida- especially this late in the season.
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't see this sooner but yes, our hours are as listed. Thanks!
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottA wrote:
Sorry I didn't see this sooner but yes, our hours are as listed. Thanks!

Scott: online video demos are very helpful under certain conditions. Any of us would of course prefer a live trial, but it's cheaper to ship a horn back and forth for almost everyone. If you look at what Horn trader does as an example, many videos are in the same room, with the mpc announced, by a consistent player. You can very much get an idea of the difference between horns.

With a return policy, this becomes huge. And I can't imagine trying to buy or sell something without one.
cjborg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on this thread and some advice some others, I pulled the trigger (puns intended) on a slightly used Getzen 4895. I'd like to try my own Wedge Flugel mouthpiece with it, but have only a French shank for it.

What shank does the Getzen 4895 mouthpipe require? Is it the "Standard" aka "American" aka "Large Morse Taper"? . . . or something else?

Many thanks in advance for accurate information!
Notlem
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure why Getzen writes "Standard American Shank Receiver" on their website for the description on the flugelhorns. That gets everyone confused, do they mean the Bach small morse taper or the standard large taper?

Traditionally, if you look at mouthpiece express, bob revs, etc, they state getzens use large morse tapers.... I would be surprised if they did a one off.

you should send an email to Getzen asking them this exact question, maybe they will update their website to something that makes more sense.

Brett/Adam and team are great and so are their products, im sure they would react well to the request.
Georgetown, TX
2022 Bach 190s37 artist select
1976 Schilke X3lb
Jupiter 846l black lacquer
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjborg, when you get the right shank for that horn (pretty sure it's the Standard Morse Taper) it would be great if you could post a review. I've been salivating over the 4895 ever since it was introduced but have not been in a position to get my hands on one.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: