• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jazz Novel: The Bear Comes Home

View previous topic :: View next topic  
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Jazz Novel: The Bear Comes Home Reply with quote

I work as a paraeducator (aide) with special education at a high school. I took a student to the school library for his second visit ever. He checks out graphic novels, usually Marvel. As he scanned the shelves, I used the card catalog on my phone to look up the keyword "jazz" — what else would I search for? There were 37 hits. One thumbnail cover looked like a young child's picture book, "The Bear Comes Home" by Rafi Zabor. The catalog entry said adult interest level, 400 pages. I had to investigate. Wow! A shambling brown bear dances on New York streets, then accompanies his man back to a depressing apartment where he grabs beer, collapses into a chair, and says, “I can’t do this **** much longer.”

That night, the Bear puts on bulky clothes, grabs his sax, and goes to a club to jam with Lester Bowie.

1963 Connstellation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: