• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Custom Crafted C

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcpritchett

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Olds Custom Crafted C Reply with quote

I just got it delivered. I am very excited by the sound, tone, intonation and the condition. It looks like it was hardly played and yet was built in 1969. It is going to take some getting used to. I am fine if I am not reading music. If I am and the pattern is primarily scalewise, great. Give me a sixth to jump and all bets are off because what it does and what my head says it should sound like are two different things and then I am lost. Start over. I guess the orchestra will not mind too much since it has such a beautiful full and heroic sound.... All the problems I have been reading about, e flat, e, and a with alternate fingerings don't seem to exist on this horn. It seems more in tune than some of my b flats. It also has the best provenance that I have ever seen with a used horn. The original factory card with the serial punched in, the finish listed and Custom Crafted by Olds on it. I am still stunned that I was the only bidder. I guess the trumpet god figured he owed me one for a change.
BrucknerTheTrumpet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trumpet god owes no one anything.

Enjoy your horn!

-Sammy Nestico
dcpritchett

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. My lip is real tired.
Happy Canuck
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Custom Crafted C as well, but mine is built in 1979, potentially one of the last C horns made by Olds?!

When I saw it on eBay it was starting at $2500, way too much for me to consider BUT when I went back later that evening it had been changed to $500 Buy It Now!! So I did.

It came with the original plastic bag inside the case, the keys were unopened and the warranty information was 'virgin'. My tech said it had appeared to not have been played.

Great horn, and I now have a Custom Crafted Bb as well!

Olds trumpets/GR Butcher 65.6M
Olds cornets/Sparx 4B
Olds Flugelhorn/GR leadpipe/GR Butcher 65.6FL
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 1989, I needed a C for high school orchestra, and my father (an avid Conn trombone player) found a used Olds Custom C on his trip to Chicago, which served that season well (thanks, Dad!) In fact, where I went to high school in Newtonville, MA, Charlie Schlueter lives next door. (Don't know how he's put up with that all these years!) One day that year, my buddy and I brought Charlie the Olds Custom C to try, and he liked it so much he asked to borrow it for his summer at Tanglewood, when he knew I wouldn't need it. Don't know if he used it or not, but I've finally decided to auction it off (someone's going to get a sweet deal)...

Vintage 1973 Irving Bush Olds Custom C Trumpet
1963 Martin Committee #3
1962 Martin Committee Cornet #3
1961 Martin Custom Committee C
1941 Martin HC Committee #2
1945 Martin Committee #2
1942 Martin HC Committee Cornet
1941 Martin IBICO Indiana
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally found another that looks just like mine, from a year earlier (1972) on the 'copia (2nd down)...
7126 Trumpet Olds Custom C12 820343 1972

Another TH'er questioned Olds' scripted bell engraving on mine, as coming from a decade earlier and the incarnations attributed exclusively to Dale Olson. But Olds and Irving Bush decided to keep the script for at least the start of his run in the '70s. (Also interesting is Robb Stewart's writeup on Irving's flugelhorn, which he gifted to each of his colleagues with personal engravings.)

Anyway, the auction of my rare C12 ends Sun. night, and still *well* below market value, in case any interest...

Vintage 1973 Irving Bush Olds Custom C Trumpet
1963 Martin Committee #3
1962 Martin Committee Cornet #3
1961 Martin Custom Committee C
1941 Martin HC Committee #2
1945 Martin Committee #2
1942 Martin HC Committee Cornet
1941 Martin IBICO Indiana
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: