• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

French Besson Classic trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TedT

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: French Besson Classic trumpet Reply with quote

"French Besson Classic" trumpet
Hello:
I am trying to source the date and manufacturer of this "French Besson Classic" trumpet. There is an engraved gothic "B" before the word French and a star image above the cursively-written "Classic".
Further details:
1) I believe it is the Bb and has a Najoom lead pipe.
2) The SN is 16977. This is the only other visible number besides the 460 for bore.
3) The engraving says "French Besson Classic". I don't see a K anywhere.
4) No reverse lead pipe. There is a second, square tuning slide.
Can someone confirm that Kanstul manufactured this horn and that it is not an Indian knock-off?
Estimated value being in very good condition with a couple of tiny dings.

Thank-you!
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: French Besson Classic trumpet Reply with quote

TedT wrote:
"French Besson Classic" trumpet
Hello:
I am trying to source the date and manufacturer of this "French Besson Classic" trumpet. There is an engraved gothic "B" before the word French and a star image above the cursively-written "Classic".
Further details:
1) I believe it is the Bb and has a Najoom lead pipe.
2) The SN is 16977. This is the only other visible number besides the 460 for bore.
3) The engraving says "French Besson Classic". I don't see a K anywhere.
4) No reverse lead pipe. There is a second, square tuning slide.
Can someone confirm that Kanstul manufactured this horn and that it is not an Indian knock-off?
Estimated value being in very good condition with a couple of tiny dings.

Thank-you!

That is a Kanstul made horn. Shoot them an e-mail with the serial and they'll let you know the age. I have a C that I love. I've A/B'ed it w/ Bach 229's and Yamaha's (not a Gen II though), and I think it holds its own (especially since I only paid $699 for it!). For my C it has a bit of a Bach sound w/ intonation and playability more like the Yamaha. You also might find a faint number on the bottom of the leadpipe near the receiver. If you do, e-mail Mr. Najoon and he can give you the specifics of your pipe. Mine is a C and has a "524" pipe which he said was the latest and most advanced C pipe he had.

My C is in the 17,xxx range.

Nice horns. I'd love to play a Bb and see how they play compared to my C. I assume Kanstul horns are pretty consistent, but mine is great. Even if I end up with a "better" C one day I never plan to sell this one.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a French Besson Classic trumpet.

It has a serial number very, very close to the number you mention. So, these are almost exactly the same age. The one I have was made by Kanstul because I checked it out with Kanstul by means of email shortly after getting the horn. The information on the website I mention below indicates that ALL French Besson Classic trumpets were made by Kanstul.

Mine simply has 460 on the second valve casing. There are no other inscriptions anywhere other than on the bell and the name Najoom on the mouthpiece receiver. There is a small digit 1 on the underside of the mouthpiece receiver, as mentioned above.

I bought it new in 2003. However, I do not know how long it may have been in the store inventory or at the manufacturer before I acquired it.

If you visit the following website, you can get much more information:
http://users.actrix.co.nz/mcamilleri/TheBessonLoyalist.htm

I do not ever attempt to make value estimates on any instrument. In my opinion and in terms of used instruments, it is whatever the buyer and seller agree to.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi dave

did you ever find out what the 1 under the pipe meant?

ron
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't know what the 1 means.

It might have something to do with the Najoom lead pipe rather the the horn itself, since it is on the underside of the mouthpiece receiver where the name "Najoom" appears.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked dennis but he didn't really remember but thought that it stood for
.021" thickness. i'm not sure what that means......
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: