• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What's in your bag

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a sore back. For tomorrow's gig I have:

C trumpet
Piccolo trumpet
music (one display folder and volume 2 of Bach complete repertoire)
Valve oil
Pencil
iPad (under the arm)
music stand (in hand)

Anything else is not needed and I can't be buggered carrying around extra stuff no good reason.

cheers

Andy
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Hi

It is interesting that a lot of you are going electronic regarding your music. We are still almost exclusively using sheet music in my part of the world. I know of only one person, a brass band conductor, who is using an iPad.

Take care

Lou

This was just among a few early adopters for awhile, but I've noticed it's picking up momentum around here.

Hi dstdenis

Interesting, thanks. It is just in its initial stages over here, at least in my part of the UK.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all of us Yanks are using iPads and tablets!! I'm pretty old school and prefer paper charts still. Maybe my eyes are weak and I don't like staring at those tiny tablets.

I've also seen enough guys struggle with lighting, fumbling looking for lost charts, and accidental deletion of stuff on the band stand that I prefer to have them in my hands!! When technology is involved I'm a bit of a Luddite.

On jazz gigs players are always frowned upon who bring fake books on the stand, and now they get equal or more stink eye looks when the are frantically page turning on a tablet looking for a tune.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Not all of us Yanks are using iPads and tablets!! I'm pretty old school and prefer paper charts still. Maybe my eyes are weak and I don't like staring at those tiny tablets.

I've also seen enough guys struggle with lighting, fumbling looking for lost charts, and accidental deletion of stuff on the band stand that I prefer to have them in my hands!! When technology is involved I'm a bit of a Luddite.

On jazz gigs players are always frowned upon who bring fake books on the stand, and now they get equal or more stink eye looks when the are frantically page turning on a tablet looking for a tune.

Yeah, iPads (and other tablets) are still in the minority, but I've noticed an uptick in the number of users lately.

As far as usability of paper-vs-tablet, I think it's no contest, iPad wins. I always have the next chart ready in much, much less time than those who are using paper charts, and I've noticed other tablet users are ready just as quickly. When playing from a set list, it's just one tap of the screen or foot pedal and the next chart is ready in literally a split second. If it's a rehearsal and the MD calls a random tune, it's a few taps to find it and bring it up.

When playing musicals, which sometimes have cuts and jumps back and forth across many pages, the links feature in the ForScore app is incredible. One tap, and the destination is brought up instantly and even highlighted so I can find it. Brilliant!

In portrait mode, the iPad Pro print size is almost as large as the paper version, and I have glasses I use just for music reading, so no problem. And if I turn the iPad on its side in landscape mode, the print is actually larger than the paper version, although it doesn't show a full page at a time, so more taps or foot pedal clicks would be required. (I don't use landscape mode because I don't find it necessary--portrait is big enough for me.)

Lighting is adjustable, and it's back-lit, so it's always perfect when playing indoors, especially in the dark. While others are struggling with their stand lights, which illuminate paper charts unevenly, tablets have perfect, even lighting. No stand light needed.

There are a few potential downfalls to using tablets, and I've experienced some, but I've found that these risks are manageable:

1. Must remember to charge the tablet and foot pedal before rehearsal or performance

2. Doesn't work outside in direct sunlight, bring paper copies

3. Beware of klutzes who would knock over your stand and destroy the tablet (this almost happened to me once, but I caught it). So now I have to stand guard over my instruments and music stand and put things back in their cases before I step away.
Piccolo Stomvi
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting and curious to see what the next step in technology is re: IPads etc.

Holograms? Imagine a 6 or 8 inch beam of light projecting your charts, and you can change pages like Tom Cruise in Minority Report!! That would be pretty cool!!

Or...brain implants? Just think about the tune, or the page turn or making the print larger or make corrections, and it just happens?!?!

Skynet baby!!!
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:

Same here, I like paper in hand when it comes to charts for the R & B gigs i do!!! Although it can get to be a pain when the keyboard changes the set yet again without telling anybody and starts playing September instead of Rock Steady, lol, fortunately i know most of the intro's to the stuff i play, so i'm always ready for the high D start of September, I wish he'd stop playing that song, i've grown to hate it. Where as, i could play rock steady day after day and not get tired of it. Oh Well ...

regards,

tom
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
I'm waiting and curious to see what the next step in technology is re: IPads etc.

Holograms? Imagine a 6 or 8 inch beam of light projecting your charts, and you can change pages like Tom Cruise in Minority Report!! That would be pretty cool!!

Or...brain implants? Just think about the tune, or the page turn or making the print larger or make corrections, and it just happens?!?!

Skynet baby!!!

Maybe a heads-up display so we can watch the music and the conductor at the same time. Oh, wait a minute...
Piccolo Stomvi
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:
Although it can get to be a pain when the keyboard changes the set yet again without telling anybody and starts playing September instead of Rock Steady, lol, fortunately i know most of the intro's to the stuff i play, so i'm always ready for the high D start of September, I wish he'd stop playing that song, i've grown to hate it. Where as, i could play rock steady day after day and not get tired of it. Oh Well ...

regards,

tom

Im with you Tom....top 40 bands and wedding bands and especially my time on cruise ships ruined lots of great songs because I've played them so many times, often with not so good bands or singers.

On cruise ships there was an ongoing list of tunes that are played so often we used to make a quasi bingo game betting on what the guest entertainer would have in his show:

Time to Say Goodbye, Sweet Caroline, Nessun Dorma, September, I Dreamed a Dream, I'm Proud to be an American, Piano Man, New York-New York, Can't Help Falling in Love with You, Suspicious Minds (always love that one though), Czardash, River Runds Through it, Son of a Preacher Man, Defying Gravity, etc etc

All great songs, all played 100s of times, all slowly eat at my soul from playing them so poorly, so frequently.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
KRELL1960 wrote:
Although it can get to be a pain when the keyboard changes the set yet again without telling anybody and starts playing September instead of Rock Steady, lol, fortunately i know most of the intro's to the stuff i play, so i'm always ready for the high D start of September, I wish he'd stop playing that song, i've grown to hate it. Where as, i could play rock steady day after day and not get tired of it. Oh Well ...

regards,

tom

On cruise ships there was an ongoing list of tunes that are played so often we used to make a quasi bingo game betting on what the guest entertainer would have in his show:

Bingo !! haha !!!

t
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
Benge.nut wrote:

Skynet baby!!!

Maybe a heads-up display so we can watch the music and the conductor at the same time. Oh, wait a minute...

Or a heads up display that stops the football game or movie we're watching and switches back to our chart/book maybe four or five bars before we are supposed to come in after long rests in musicals??
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
KRELL1960 wrote:

regards,

tom

Im with you Tom....top 40 bands and wedding bands and especially my time on cruise ships ruined lots of great songs because I've played them so many times, often with not so good bands or singers.

Time to Say Goodbye, Sweet Caroline, Nessun Dorma, September, I Dreamed a Dream, I'm Proud to be an American, Piano Man, New York-New York, Can't Help Falling in Love with You, Suspicious Minds (always love that one though), Czardash, River Runds Through it, Son of a Preacher Man, Defying Gravity, etc etc

All great songs, all played 100s of times, all slowly eat at my soul from playing them so poorly, so frequently.

Ugghhh!, Sweet Caroline should be banned for 50 years, they just started doing suspicious minds though, so i'm ok with that one.
Sorry OP LOU, this got off topic !!

regards,

tom
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be so negative!! Not all the cruise ship guest ents were bad. Some were a ton of fun too!! And when you're lucky to have a period with a good show band, it makes it worth while.

Sometimes we got to play great chicago tunes and EWF, BS&T and TOP stuff. And when the horn section was tight and the band grooved, it was always a blast.

One of my favorite shows was with a impressionist/guitar player that did all the great 70s stuff and sounded just like Jim Croce, Don Mclean, John Denver, Gordon Lightfoot etc. The horns didn't play much, but he was one of my favorite shows to do anyway.

The music was hit and miss, but seeing the world, 50 plus countries made that gig worthwhile.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Sorry to be so negative!! Not all the cruise ship guest ents were bad. Some were a ton of fun too!! And when you're lucky to have a period with a good show band, it makes it worth while.

Sometimes we got to play great chicago tunes and EWF, BS&T and TOP stuff. And when the horn section was tight and the band grooved, it was always a blast.

One of my favorite shows was with a impressionist/guitar player that did all the great 70s stuff and sounded just like Jim Croce, Don Mclean, John Denver, Gordon Lightfoot etc. The horns didn't play much, but he was one of my favorite shows to do anyway.

The music was hit and miss, but seeing the world, 50 plus countries made that gig worthwhile.

Very Cool Benge !! Very Jealous !!

T
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:

Sorry OP LOU, this got off topic !!

regards,

tom

Hi Tom

No worries, that you are all finding something to discuss is all that matters.

Best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Thank you very much for all your replies.

Regarding tablets, I have a Samsung Android tablet rather than an iPad. I not at all familiar with any software for reading music charts.

My only experience is playing a couple of music pdfs from the following website:

http://www.justmusicuk.com/

Including this one:

https://www.justmusicuk.com/media/pdf/35000/JM35861%20Rusalka's%20Song%20To%20The%20Moon.pdf?t=1492883429

Long story, but I had a feeling that I may have suddenly had this sprung on me at one rehearsal, wanted to have a quick look at it in advance, and didn't have the sheet music at home. This never happened in the end.

I had two issues. One was that the back light of my tablet kept going off because I wasn't tapping the screen at all whilst playing. Presumably this is just a setting, and I could set it to stay on all the time (I don't use my tablet very often). The other was that I found it just too small when I viewed it portrait on a 7" tablet (Maybe this is my eyes, I don't know). Landscape, having no software to turn the page or scroll down, I had to stop and manually scroll down.

Probably an iPad is better than android tablet, I would need software designed to input and navigate the charts, and a 7" tablet is too small.

Going back to what we carry, the other week, we were discussing at one of my bands when someone forgot something, what is the most important thing not to forget.

I reckoned the instrument itself, as there is not much point being there without an instrument, but often someone will have a spare trumpet in a double case, or there is a spare instrument in the band cupboard.

Someone else reckoned music reading glasses, as you can't play if you can't see the music. I wear the same prescription for driving to the rehearsal/gig and reading music, so I don't tend to forget my glasses (I carry a spare pair anyhow). Often however someone will have a spare pair of glasses if someone forgets theirs. My old band master used to keep a selection of drug store glasses to help out people who had forgot theirs.

Someone else suggested music. Relevant probably if you are the only player on your part, and the band are playing the original copies of the set and there is therefore no spare. Not such a problem if you are playing Solo Cornet, or it is an old arrangement, with people having taken photocopies at one time to allow a double sheet to be put in single plastic wallets in a folder etc., and there are therefore spare copies floating around.

A mouthpiece was suggested, but a lot of us have more than one mouthpiece in our cases, and someone is bound to have a spare that would at least fit the instrument.

Things like a music stand (hopefully someone will have a spare or you can share with someone) or an instrument stand (you can hold an instrument) are probably less important.

Being worried that I might forget something and finding that I often need the very thing that I have taken out of my bag (I had a solo in a big band selection in my community light orchestra the other week, marked cup mute. As much as I like my Denis Wick adjustable cup, I didn't think its sound suited the piece at all, and wished that I had my Humes and Berg stonelined cup. It is now back in my bag, along with my H&B straight), I tend to carry everything I think I could need.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm helping Roger Wood (Shofar) out, playing 2nd trumpet for a band he's here in Chicago with for the weekend (Sonora Tropicana). Two sets at two different venues last night, three sets at three different venues tonight, and two sets at two different venues Sunday night (so much for the idea of “lazy musicians”). What's in my bag?

• Burbank Benge 6X .468” Large Bore Trumpet built with a .464” reduced Bell Tube
• My copy of Arturo Sandoval’s MV3C (for the 2nd parts I’m mainly playing)
• Bob Reeves 43C mouthpiece (for any charts I play lead on)
• Bob Reeves 43M (as a Hail Mary in case I need it around the end of set 3)
• K & M Horn Stand
• Al Cass Valve Oil
• Foam Ear Plugs
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
So maybe your tag line quote could be "I'm an engineer, which means I think I need a whole bunch of stuff I really don't"?
😉😉😉😉😉😉😉

Brad

Perfect!

Truth be told, I'm just too lazy to ever move stuff in and out of the case so I just carry everything.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
I'm helping Roger Wood (Shofar) out, playing 2nd trumpet for a band he's here in Chicago with for the weekend (Sonora Tropicana). Two sets at two different venues last night, three sets at three different venues tonight, and two sets at two different venues Sunday night (so much for the idea of “lazy musicians”). What's in my bag?

• Burbank Benge 6X .468” Large Bore Trumpet built with a .464” reduced Bell Tube
• My copy of Arturo Sandoval’s MV3C (for the 2nd parts I’m mainly playing)
• Bob Reeves 43C mouthpiece (for any charts I play lead on)
• Bob Reeves 43M (as a Hail Mary in case I need it around the end of set 3)
• K & M Horn Stand
• Al Cass Valve Oil
• Foam Ear Plugs

Hi John

Sounds absolutely great! I really hope that your gigs go well.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For jazz combo gigs i have a Wiseman trumpet/flugel triple case. Inside is
Bb
Flugel
2 mouthpieces
2 stands (in the bells)
Stand light
Valve oil
1-2 mutes (that won't fit in the mute bag)
Folding music stand

Outside is
Pencil and as much music as you could ever need to carry in the attached music pouch
The rest of my mutes in the attached mute bag

The case is up there as far as price but it is covered for LIFE and provides more protection than any case other than a Pelican etc. It could also be reconfigured to add a picc, or to carry different combinations of 2 trumpets, cornets etc. ........... and it goes on my back with the backpack straps and I still have 2 free hands!!!

For basically any gig where I only need my trumpet, my go to bag is the Torpedo Peacemaker. Best case I've ever found for the $!!!
Inside is
Bb
Stand (in bell)
Valve oil, mouthpiece (in lid pouch)
Music, pencil (in attached music pouch)
Mutes (in attached mute bag) (I can fit a bucket, harmon, cup, solo tone, straight, pixie and plunger all in that bag!!)
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one with the old Reunion Blues single bag? When I've got a Latin gig or just need one horn, I've used this same old brown leather bag for like 20 years!!

Just my Bb, and my mouthpiece. I used to carry all my mutes and such in an old gym bag that was a freebie I got from a Hyatt hotel a long time ago.

And I bought a Brassbag trumpet/flug combo not long ago with backpack straps that fits all mutes and has an outside pocket for charts, and I also have a Mike Vax tpt/flug case on wheels for when there is air travel. Fits perfect in every overhead I've ever used.

But for top 40 stuff, wedding band, commercial and corporate gigs when I just use my Bb, it's just the old reunion blues leather single bag I bought in the 90s..used.

I keep ONE bottle of valve oil, and a pencil in each case. My horns are always good and lubed before I leave for a job, but the valve oil comes in handy for the other trumpeter that inevitably forgets..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: