• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What's in your bag

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Am I the only one with the old Reunion Blues single bag?

As a repairman for the last 25 years I have seen WAY too many crushed bells, bent valves, etc. caused by those bags. Granted most were from careless students, but not all were. Accidents can happen to anyone. Sounds like you've been careful and lucky!! (Which is great!)

I never recommend them though. I even warn people when they bring me a horn in one that I'm not responsible for the state of the horn once it leaves my shop if they are going to use that bag.

And just for full disclosure, in college I had the Reunion Blues leather triple bag ...... I am pretty much OCD and always careful ...... but I still managed to crush the bell on a freshly Bob Reeves aligned, freshly gold plated Strad. Because it was in THAT bag.
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lgt0412 wrote:
Benge.nut wrote:

And just for full disclosure, in college I had the Reunion Blues leather triple bag ...... I am pretty much OCD and always careful ...... but I still managed to crush the bell on a freshly Bob Reeves aligned, freshly gold plated Strad. Because it was in THAT bag.

That SUCKS!!! I also am very OCD and protective. But I think I've been lucky too. I used to carry an old Schilke B7Lb from the early 70s in my leather RB bag and fortunately never had damage.

I DO get paranoid on busy subways. I keep my horn very protective and keep my eyes open for crazies and aggressive passengers.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Regarding tablets, I have a Samsung Android tablet rather than an iPad. I not at all familiar with any software for reading music charts.

There's a guy in our symphonic winds band who uses an Android tablet for reading music PDFs. Not sure what software he uses. It's a small tablet, maybe 7", but since he plays saxophone, clarinet and guitar (in musicals), his music stand is closer than where we trumpeters have to put ours, and he can see the print and easily reach up and tap the screen to turn pages. (Wouldn't work for me, though.)

Louise Finch wrote:
My only experience is playing a couple of music pdfs from the following website: https://www.justmusicuk.com/media/pdf/35000/JM35861%20Rusalka's%20Song%20To%20The%20Moon.pdf?t=1492883429

That's one of my favorite tunes: Song to the Moon, from Rusalka. The Met Opera Brass performed that on their Waltzes, Songs and Festive Scenes album, and it really grabbed my attention. I got to see David Krauss, principal trumpet of the Met Opera, perform this piece at the Southeast Trumpet Festival last January. Wow, he plays this with such a gorgeous sound. I transcribed a copy for myself; didn't know there was one for sale.

Louise Finch wrote:
I had two issues. One was that the back light of my tablet kept going off because I wasn't tapping the screen at all whilst playing. Presumably this is just a setting, and I could set it to stay on all the time (I don't use my tablet very often). The other was that I found it just too small when I viewed it portrait on a 7" tablet (Maybe this is my eyes, I don't know). Landscape, having no software to turn the page or scroll down, I had to stop and manually scroll down.

Probably an iPad is better than android tablet, I would need software designed to input and navigate the charts, and a 7" tablet is too small.

Yes, some of my colleagues have issues with their tablets going dark because of the screen saver setting. I changed my iPad setting so it does that after 5 minutes, so it rarely kicks in. When it does, the screen dims slightly to let me know it's about to go dark, and I can refresh the clock with a tap of the foot pedal (somehow it knows I'm refreshing the screen, and it doesn't turn the page with the first tap. Clever programming in the ForScore app, I suppose.).

I agree, a 7" screen would be too small for me also. I used a standard 9.7" iPad for awhile, and I had to turn it sideways for landscape mode, using a foot pedal to make the more frequent page turns. Now I have the larger 12.9" version, and I can see it fine in portrait mode.
Piccolo Stomvi
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
lgt0412 wrote:
Benge.nut wrote:

That SUCKS!!! I also am very OCD and protective. But I think I've been lucky too. I used to carry an old Schilke B7Lb from the early 70s in my leather RB bag and fortunately never had damage.

I DO get paranoid on busy subways. I keep my horn very protective and keep my eyes open for crazies and aggressive passengers.

I am not gonna lie. Even as a college aged "kid" I sat there and cried. Lol the horn was reshaped in to the shape of a bell again but never played the same. Wish I still had it though (pre-drop of course). Subways can be tricky. You never know who (or what) will get on that train with you. Lol
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lgt0412 wrote:
For jazz combo gigs i have a Wiseman trumpet/flugel triple case. Inside is
Bb
Flugel
2 mouthpieces
2 stands (in the bells)
Stand light
Valve oil
1-2 mutes (that won't fit in the mute bag)
Folding music stand

Outside is
Pencil and as much music as you could ever need to carry in the attached music pouch
The rest of my mutes in the attached mute bag

The case is up there as far as price but it is covered for LIFE and provides more protection than any case other than a Pelican etc. It could also be reconfigured to add a picc, or to carry different combinations of 2 trumpets, cornets etc. ........... and it goes on my back with the backpack straps and I still have 2 free hands!!!

For basically any gig where I only need my trumpet, my go to bag is the Torpedo Peacemaker. Best case I've ever found for the $!!!
Inside is
Bb
Stand (in bell)
Valve oil, mouthpiece (in lid pouch)
Music, pencil (in attached music pouch)
Mutes (in attached mute bag) (I can fit a bucket, harmon, cup, solo tone, straight, pixie and plunger all in that bag!!)

Hi

Both your case options sounds great.

Many Thanks

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Regarding tablets, I have a Samsung Android tablet rather than an iPad. I not at all familiar with any software for reading music charts.

There's a guy in our symphonic winds band who uses an Android tablet for reading music PDFs. Not sure what software he uses. It's a small tablet, maybe 7", but since he plays saxophone, clarinet and guitar (in musicals), his music stand is closer than where we trumpeters have to put ours, and he can see the print and easily reach up and tap the screen to turn pages. (Wouldn't work for me, though.)

Hi dstdenis

I understand, thanks.

Louise Finch wrote:
My only experience is playing a couple of music pdfs from the following website: https://www.justmusicuk.com/media/pdf/35000/JM35861%20Rusalka's%20Song%20To%20The%20Moon.pdf?t=1492883429

That's one of my favorite tunes: Song to the Moon, from Rusalka. The Met Opera Brass performed that on their Waltzes, Songs and Festive Scenes album, and it really grabbed my attention. I got to see David Krauss, principal trumpet of the Met Opera, perform this piece at the Southeast Trumpet Festival last January. Wow, he plays this with such a gorgeous sound. I transcribed a copy for myself; didn't know there was one for sale.

I totally agree that it is a very nice piece. The particular pdf I posted the link to is the solo cornet (Soloist) part from a brass band arrangement. It is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBxtfRWMKPY

Louise Finch wrote:
I had two issues. One was that the back light of my tablet kept going off because I wasn't tapping the screen at all whilst playing. Presumably this is just a setting, and I could set it to stay on all the time (I don't use my tablet very often). The other was that I found it just too small when I viewed it portrait on a 7" tablet (Maybe this is my eyes, I don't know). Landscape, having no software to turn the page or scroll down, I had to stop and manually scroll down.

Probably an iPad is better than android tablet, I would need software designed to input and navigate the charts, and a 7" tablet is too small.

Yes, some of my colleagues have issues with their tablets going dark because of the screen saver setting. I changed my iPad setting so it does that after 5 minutes, so it rarely kicks in. When it does, the screen dims slightly to let me know it's about to go dark, and I can refresh the clock with a tap of the foot pedal (somehow it knows I'm refreshing the screen, and it doesn't turn the page with the first tap. Clever programming in the ForScore app, I suppose.).

Thank you. I'm sure that my tablet also has a setting that keeps the screen lit for longer. One of these days, I'll have to look into the ForScore app. The foot pedal also sounds very useful.

I agree, a 7" screen would be too small for me also. I used a standard 9.7" iPad for awhile, and I had to turn it sideways for landscape mode, using a foot pedal to make the more frequent page turns. Now I have the larger 12.9" version, and I can see it fine in portrait mode.

I agree that to read music in portrait mode that a 7" screen is probably too small. You only need to have a part which has small print already, multiple parts on a stave etc., and shrinking it from A4 to fit a 7" screen would make it extremely difficult to read.

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Hi Guys

Thank you very much for all your replies.

My only experience is playing a couple of music pdfs from the following website:

http://www.justmusicuk.com/

Including this one:

https://www.justmusicuk.com/media/pdf/35000/JM35861%20Rusalka's%20Song%20To%20The%20Moon.pdf?t=1492883429

Long story, but I had a feeling that I may have suddenly had this sprung on me at one rehearsal, wanted to have a quick look at it in advance, and didn't have the sheet music at home. This never happened in the end.

Going back to what we carry, the other week, we were discussing at one of my bands when someone forgot something, what is the most important thing not to forget.

I reckoned the instrument itself, as there is not much point being there without an instrument, but often someone will have a spare trumpet in a double case, or there is a spare instrument in the band cupboard.

Someone else reckoned music reading glasses, as you can't play if you can't see the music. I wear the same prescription for driving to the rehearsal/gig and reading music, so I don't tend to forget my glasses (I carry a spare pair anyhow). Often however someone will have a spare pair of glasses if someone forgets theirs. My old band master used to keep a selection of drug store glasses to help out people who had forgot theirs.

Someone else suggested music. Relevant probably if you are the only player on your part, and the band are playing the original copies of the set and there is therefore no spare. Not such a problem if you are playing Solo Cornet, or it is an old arrangement, with people having taken photocopies at one time to allow a double sheet to be put in single plastic wallets in a folder etc., and there are therefore spare copies floating around.

A mouthpiece was suggested, but a lot of us have more than one mouthpiece in our cases, and someone is bound to have a spare that would at least fit the instrument.

Things like a music stand (hopefully someone will have a spare or you can share with someone) or an instrument stand (you can hold an instrument) are probably less important.

Being worried that I might forget something and finding that I often need the very thing that I have taken out of my bag (I had a solo in a big band selection in my community light orchestra the other week, marked cup mute. As much as I like my Denis Wick adjustable cup, I didn't think its sound suited the piece at all, and wished that I had my Humes and Berg stonelined cup. It is now back in my bag, along with my H&B straight), I tend to carry everything I think I could need.

All the best

Lou

Lou, just the other day I picked up a RCA Android tablet for $160 on Amazon. 11.6" display.

It isn't as high resolution as my iPad, more of a letterbox proportion than paper. I got it because....well, just because, I guess. It was under $200 way to play with an Android tablet and mess around with whether there is an app available that comes anywhere near Forscore.

I already know it won't be as good, but I'm hoping to cobble together a perfectly cromulent substitute for under 2 bills that I can turn others onto.

One VERY neat thing about Forscore is getting music into it. You can literally point the tablet's camera at the paper, correct the coloration/contrast AND set the corners to crop just where you want it without excessive margins, so on the iPad Pro the notes will surely be bigger and easier to read than on paper. And get this - by setting the corners the program will actually un-keystone the image, so everything becomes square again.

Forscore is he epitome of the "Killer App" for the iPad Pro.

Failing that, it may be a workable travel tablet/laptop for Mrs. P so she keeps her paws off my iPad.

It came with an attachable keyboard that turns it into a notebook sized laptop much like the Surface (but of course much less powerful).

One thing I do like about the Android over the iOS is that it can have multiple user accounts like a Windows laptop, so she can have her apps and emails accounts etc. completely separate from mine.

I'll let you know what comes out of it, perhaps in a new thread.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pin, as far as Android apps for reading music, I use Xodo Docs and would highly recommend it. You can make annotations, open multiple documents in tabs, and even access your files in Google Drive or Dropbox. Also, it's free. I like it so much I looked for a paid version so I could support them, but I didn't find one.

My tablet isn't on my cell plan, so I like to keep my files saved both on my tablet's SD card and on Google Drive. Another app called DriveSync automatically syncs a designated pair of folders between my tablet's SD card and Drive, so when I'm at home or work I can add a document to my Sheet Music folder in Drive and it will automatically update and download to my tablet.
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
Pin, as far as Android apps for reading music, I use Xodo Docs and would highly recommend it. You can make annotations, open multiple documents in tabs, and even access your files in Google Drive or Dropbox. Also, it's free. I like it so much I looked for a paid version so I could support them, but I didn't find one.

My tablet isn't on my cell plan, so I like to keep my files saved both on my tablet's SD card and on Google Drive. Another app called DriveSync automatically syncs a designated pair of folders between my tablet's SD card and Drive, so when I'm at home or work I can add a document to my Sheet Music folder in Drive and it will automatically update and download to my tablet.

Thanks for the tip. I'm currently looking at a few, and MobileSheets Pro seems to be clearing the hurdle juuuuust barely. I mean, it can do a lot of it, just not as well/easily. For instance, you can crop, but it won't anti-keystone. Well, not a total deal breaker, as I have a portable scanner that everything will comes out...as square as it went in. So where Forscore beats it is if you have an old scan of a scan of a scan and it is out of skew, Forscore can fix that. MobileSheets can't.

Now, the notations....take a bit of explaining. I'm terrible at sight reading, and it gets worse the more sharps or flats in the signature. So what I do is go through each piece and mark all the notes that have an accidental or appear in the signature with an opaque purple dot on the note itself. My puny, walnut sized crocodile brain can remember whether the signature means they are flats or sharps. So it just helps me see note, play note. I also put green slashes around the repeats, blue highlights on cues like "Cup Mute" etc. I will also admit to marking the fingerings in on tricky passages and evil things like E sharps and C flats. Those should just not be allowed. And frankly, the act of going through the piece and marking it up is a very helpful thing for me learning the piece as well as reading itself. I digress.

Anyhoo, MobileSheets can do that, but the controls for the pen and such are clumsy. Like, you get to make one mark, then go to the top of the menu again. It's like the bearskin and stone knife version of Forscore. Yeah, you can fell a tree. You can disassemble a mastodon, but Forscore is the Ginzu Knife, with a battery pack attached.

Interestingly, one of the really neat features of FS is the "Link" where you can mark jumps and repeats. Like take a Coda jump to another page for instance. It puts a blue spot, you touch that, it jumps to the correct spot on the correct page and flashes an orange spot at the destination. MobileSheets can actually do that, except it's a light blue ball and a dark blue ball. But it has it !!

Page display, if you tell it to show the full page, you keep the original aspect ratio, which due to the screen geometry basically means you have the same sized image of the sheet as you would on a 7" tablet, and a bunch of empty space below. But you can tell it to show full screen and it will stretch the aspect ratio to fill the whole page, so it's like your music went through some Willy Wonka music puller and everything is taller, but it fills the page without cropping anything out. Quite readable and worth trying out. This is a function of the geometry of this particular tablet, not the software. But it is better than a 7" or 9" tablet, just not as good as the full page ratio of the iPad Pro.

More to come once I spend some time with Xodo Docs.

TL;DR version

So far MobileSheets will make an acceptable poor mans alternative to an iPad Pro with Forscore at 22% of the price. Hey, they sold a lot of Chevette's.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinstriper wrote:

Lou, just the other day I picked up a RCA Android tablet for $160 on Amazon. 11.6" display.

It isn't as high resolution as my iPad, more of a letterbox proportion than paper. I got it because....well, just because, I guess. It was under $200 way to play with an Android tablet and mess around with whether there is an app available that comes anywhere near Forscore.

I already know it won't be as good, but I'm hoping to cobble together a perfectly cromulent substitute for under 2 bills that I can turn others onto.

One VERY neat thing about Forscore is getting music into it. You can literally point the tablet's camera at the paper, correct the coloration/contrast AND set the corners to crop just where you want it without excessive margins, so on the iPad Pro the notes will surely be bigger and easier to read than on paper. And get this - by setting the corners the program will actually un-keystone the image, so everything becomes square again.

Forscore is he epitome of the "Killer App" for the iPad Pro.

Failing that, it may be a workable travel tablet/laptop for Mrs. P so she keeps her paws off my iPad.

It came with an attachable keyboard that turns it into a notebook sized laptop much like the Surface (but of course much less powerful).

One thing I do like about the Android over the iOS is that it can have multiple user accounts like a Windows laptop, so she can have her apps and emails accounts etc. completely separate from mine.

I'll let you know what comes out of it, perhaps in a new thread.

Hi pinstriper

Very interesting, thanks. Please do let me know what comes out of it.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry

a trumpet, a mouthpiece, valve oil, grease.

Thats all
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GistjuGlSCs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
I carry

a trumpet, a mouthpiece, valve oil, grease.

Thats all

Hi Bflatman

At least you have the essentials lol. I take it that you either don't need a music stand or one is supplied, ditto for music, and you don't need any mutes, pegs, lights etc.

Best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I split my gear into sections:

Tpt case:

Bb & a handful of mouthpieces
Reeves leadpipe pull thru
K&M trumpet mic stand holder
Pencils
Oil & grease
Sound reflector for mics
Sheet music
Plunger mute
Ear plugs
Snark

Bag:

10m & 20m XLR
2 mics
K&M 5 leg stand
4 gang plug short
4 gang plug long
Ear plugs
In ears
Bunch of adaptors and connectors
RCA lead
In ear amp
Pen & pencil

Mute bag:

3 cups
3 straights
2 buckets
3 harmons
Mute holder
Valve oil
Pencils etc...
Maybe a practice mute

Car:
2 mic stands
2 orchestral music stands
1 folding stand
Spare power lead
Spare jack lead (for the guitarist who forgets his)
Often my "car boot trumpet" an old Buescher
Suit jacket & pair of ties

I lost all my clothes pegs but I rarely gig outdoors, also I can lay the sound reflector on the sheet music. Very effective.

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and an iPad. Which will be replaced by a 12" android machine when the time comes. This iPad is now fairly unstable after the last update. Can't access my emails, it crashes out on apps all the damn time. Planned redundancy.

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!! Y'all carry so much gear!!!

As a minimalist and utilitarian I try to keep it as simple as I can. And living in an urban area where I'm on public transit, less is more. Just less stuff for me to lose or leave on the subway.

I know guys that bring several of every mute to jobs, saying this cup is for this time, this cup is for this style, this cup is only for solos etc. And then they have all the gadgets and mute holders and clip on tuners and water holders that attach to the stand and metronomes and recording devices and ipads and just so much stuff.

If I can get by with only bringing my Bb a cup and Harmon to a big band job, that's all I bring. If half the guys don't have or use flugs I'm not gonna bring mine either.

The only other thing I make absolutely sure to bring is extra cash for cab fare in case we get stiffed on the pay (which has happened more times than I'd like to admit....." oh I didn't tell you, we get paid in 2 weeks....oh I didn't tell you? This job was only for tips and the door...oh I didn't tell you the first gig here was free to see if the manager wants to hire us again...oh I didn't tell you, this was only a promotion show for future gigs....no...there's no free drinks...no, there's no food or a bandwich on this hit...no...I didn't say we'd be done at 11, I said 1 am...etc"

Cab fare and food money is an essential for sure!
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, the word you were looking for is obsolescence, as in planned obsolescence; not my favourite marketing ploy either.

Just for a giggle, and to make Lou feel better, I'm going to include in this thread what I bring to the gig for the group that's given me enough work for 7 years now, for which I'm also responsible for doing all the arrangements, creating all the shows, and running the rehearsals.

First up is my trumpet stand. It weighs about 85 pounds, is 3 feet tall, and 20" square. That means it is a rack-mount case. It's covered in carpet, so it makes a nice soft and big landing pad for my axe, which I need to pick up and put back down in a hurry between sections where I play other orchestral parts on keys.

This is a necessary step were I to ever go to a mic that attaches to the horn, since a good one that allows you to work a plunger is incompatible with a standard stand. More importantly, my rack case houses 10 synth engines (sound modules) so I never get caught with the wrong sound, and my mixer so our sound man only needs to deal with one channel from me. Digital mixer, software controlled, natch.

Next is my mike stand! A heavy Atlas beast that will self-right, to defend my ribbon mic from the ubiquitous drunk chick that thinks she's going to sing with the band. Fortunately I don't have to deal with that in this organisation, so I put it's mass to better uses: music stand attached, stand light, and drum hardware to hold my horn mic (Beyer M500, rebuilt by Steve Sank) Vocal mike on primary boom. An ordinary mic stand could not support all this and even approach being stable.

A couple keyboards, with infinitely adjustable multi-tier stand.

Construction toolbox to hold my sustain pedals, cords, DI box, and my plunger mute and book. Tablet to control my monitor mix carried separately, rolled in on amp rack with M500 and stand light.

Keyboard amp also serves as monitor with no risk of feedback loop. (Ain't Roland nifty?)

Folding stool. Garment bag. Horn(s) du jour. Mpcs, valve oil.

Then comes the property of the star that I carry for him because he arrives so late if he brings it it would never be set up in time ... Lights and projectors, and cords and stands to make it all work.

So look at "all the stuff you have to bring," and laugh at how easy it is!
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I've started thinking about also having a carry light set-up. I've got my discontinued Protec Extreme PRO PAC out of the loft:

http://media.musiciansfriend.com/is/image/MMGS7/Extreme-PRO-PAC-Trumpet-Case-Turquoise/541015000060000-00-500x500.jpg

I have the orange one (I bought it half price in a sale owing to its bright colour. I happen to quite like it).

There appears to be a couple of slightly different more modern versions with solid cloth rather than mesh for the front pocket, but I believe that these are also now discontinued:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41pYhzr8ilL._SY300_.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/718fRD4ECoS._SX466_.jpg

I can't for the life of me work out why this case is discontinued, because I've just tried, and I can't believe quite what I can get in this case.

The pocket on the front (the main one not the smaller mesh one) is expandable via a second zip. It is tall enough and wide enough to hold both my foolscap cardboard music folders, tall enough to hold my small metal music stand in its carry bag, and there is enough space left to hold a bottle of water, in the bell style trumpet stand, and at least five mutes (I easily got in my Denis Wick cup, straight, ET and plunger, and Humes and Berg bucket, and would probably have also got in my H&B cup and straight, if I had been more careful how I had packed my mutes). The smaller mesh pocket on the outside will carry a few small accessories.

Not having used this case for years, switching from it to putting my trumpet in the trumpet slot of my flugel case, during a spell of playing both trumpet and flugel in big bands, and having lately been carrying my trumpet and spare trumpet in my Yamaha double case, owing to not needing a flugel for the orchestral trumpet playing I'm mainly doing at the moment, I had completely forgotten quite how much it will hold.

I think that it will be a good case option, for when I also need to carry cornet. I can carry my cornet in its usual light-weight back-pack case, and replace my Yamaha double case and Protec trombone mute bag (which I use as an accessory bag), for the Protec Extreme case.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Also....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GistjuGlSCs

Hi Benge.nut

I'm not sure quite what to say about this, but thanks anyway.

Best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
I split my gear into sections:

Tpt case:

Bb & a handful of mouthpieces
Reeves leadpipe pull thru
K&M trumpet mic stand holder
Pencils
Oil & grease
Sound reflector for mics
Sheet music
Plunger mute
Ear plugs
Snark

Bag:

10m & 20m XLR
2 mics
K&M 5 leg stand
4 gang plug short
4 gang plug long
Ear plugs
In ears
Bunch of adaptors and connectors
RCA lead
In ear amp
Pen & pencil

Mute bag:

3 cups
3 straights
2 buckets
3 harmons
Mute holder
Valve oil
Pencils etc...
Maybe a practice mute

Car:
2 mic stands
2 orchestral music stands
1 folding stand
Spare power lead
Spare jack lead (for the guitarist who forgets his)
Often my "car boot trumpet" an old Buescher
Suit jacket & pair of ties

I lost all my clothes pegs but I rarely gig outdoors, also I can lay the sound reflector on the sheet music. Very effective.

Mike

Hi Mike

Thank you very much.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: