• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What's in your bag

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Wow!! Y'all carry so much gear!!!

Hi Benge.nut

Yes, I reckon we do lol.

As a minimalist and utilitarian I try to keep it as simple as I can. And living in an urban area where I'm on public transit, less is more. Just less stuff for me to lose or leave on the subway.

I know guys that bring several of every mute to jobs, saying this cup is for this time, this cup is for this style, this cup is only for solos etc.

I know what you mean. I personally have however always carried one mute until very recently. For years, I have had a Denis Wick cup and straight, and a Humes and Berg cup and straight, and have used the Denis Wick combo for brass band, concert band and orchestral playing, and the Humes and Berg combo for Big Band and Jazz. I play in a community light orchestra and usually carry the Denis Wick combo. A few weeks ago, we started a couple of new pieces, one a medley of big band pieces, and the other a medley of James Bond. In the James Bond selection, I have cup mute solo in Nobody Does it Better. The first week we played it, and I only had my Denis Wick cup with me. The sound was completely wrong, so I've used my Humes and Berg cup on future occasions. Not being at all interested in mutes, I had no idea just how different my cup mutes sound.

And then they have all the gadgets and mute holders and clip on tuners and water holders that attach to the stand and metronomes and recording devices and ipads and just so much stuff.

Yes, I again know what you mean. A lot of players I know use a mute holder, but I have always been happy to have mine around my feet. I have a system of picking the mute up in the nearest rest and either wedging it between my legs until needed, or holding it ready in my left hand. It has worked well enough for long enough, so I see no point in changing. I don't have the other things which you mention.

If I can get by with only bringing my Bb a cup and Harmon to a big band job, that's all I bring. If half the guys don't have or use flugs I'm not gonna bring mine either.

I understand, thanks.

The only other thing I make absolutely sure to bring is extra cash for cab fare in case we get stiffed on the pay (which has happened more times than I'd like to admit....." oh I didn't tell you, we get paid in 2 weeks....oh I didn't tell you? This job was only for tips and the door...oh I didn't tell you the first gig here was free to see if the manager wants to hire us again...oh I didn't tell you, this was only a promotion show for future gigs....no...there's no free drinks...no, there's no food or a bandwich on this hit...no...I didn't say we'd be done at 11, I said 1 am...etc"

Cab fare and food money is an essential for sure!

Yes, I fully agree. I'm a woman lol, so of course carry money, phone etc in my hand bag.

All the best

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
Michael, the word you were looking for is obsolescence, as in planned obsolescence; not my favourite marketing ploy either.

Just for a giggle, and to make Lou feel better, I'm going to include in this thread what I bring to the gig for the group that's given me enough work for 7 years now, for which I'm also responsible for doing all the arrangements, creating all the shows, and running the rehearsals.

First up is my trumpet stand. It weighs about 85 pounds, is 3 feet tall, and 20" square. That means it is a rack-mount case. It's covered in carpet, so it makes a nice soft and big landing pad for my axe, which I need to pick up and put back down in a hurry between sections where I play other orchestral parts on keys.

This is a necessary step were I to ever go to a mic that attaches to the horn, since a good one that allows you to work a plunger is incompatible with a standard stand. More importantly, my rack case houses 10 synth engines (sound modules) so I never get caught with the wrong sound, and my mixer so our sound man only needs to deal with one channel from me. Digital mixer, software controlled, natch.

Next is my mike stand! A heavy Atlas beast that will self-right, to defend my ribbon mic from the ubiquitous drunk chick that thinks she's going to sing with the band. Fortunately I don't have to deal with that in this organisation, so I put it's mass to better uses: music stand attached, stand light, and drum hardware to hold my horn mic (Beyer M500, rebuilt by Steve Sank) Vocal mike on primary boom. An ordinary mic stand could not support all this and even approach being stable.

A couple keyboards, with infinitely adjustable multi-tier stand.

Construction toolbox to hold my sustain pedals, cords, DI box, and my plunger mute and book. Tablet to control my monitor mix carried separately, rolled in on amp rack with M500 and stand light.

Keyboard amp also serves as monitor with no risk of feedback loop. (Ain't Roland nifty?)

Folding stool. Garment bag. Horn(s) du jour. Mpcs, valve oil.

Then comes the property of the star that I carry for him because he arrives so late if he brings it it would never be set up in time ... Lights and projectors, and cords and stands to make it all work.

So look at "all the stuff you have to bring," and laugh at how easy it is!

Hi razeontherock

Yes, I am travelling very light in comparison.

Thanks very much for sharing

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Wow!! Y'all carry so much gear!!!

As a minimalist and utilitarian I try to keep it as simple as I can. And living in an urban area where I'm on public transit, less is more. Just less stuff for me to lose or leave on the subway.

I know guys that bring several of every mute to jobs, saying this cup is for this time, this cup is for this style, this cup is only for solos etc. And then they have all the gadgets and mute holders and clip on tuners and water holders that attach to the stand and metronomes and recording devices and ipads and just so much stuff.

If I can get by with only bringing my Bb a cup and Harmon to a big band job, that's all I bring. If half the guys don't have or use flugs I'm not gonna bring mine either.

The only other thing I make absolutely sure to bring is extra cash for cab fare in case we get stiffed on the pay (which has happened more times than I'd like to admit....." oh I didn't tell you, we get paid in 2 weeks....oh I didn't tell you? This job was only for tips and the door...oh I didn't tell you the first gig here was free to see if the manager wants to hire us again...oh I didn't tell you, this was only a promotion show for future gigs....no...there's no free drinks...no, there's no food or a bandwich on this hit...no...I didn't say we'd be done at 11, I said 1 am...etc"

Cab fare and food money is an essential for sure!

I only carry what's needed, everything can stay in the car if needs be then it's just me and the Bb. Total convenience keeping my mutes in the bag. It's not big or heavy so no biggie. It also lets me blend, if ppl are using H&B or Denis Wick I can easily use that gear. Also, there's usually someone who doesn't bring mutes, like the big band gig on wed; 2nd Tpt didn't bring any and cup&harmon were both needed.

Alton Brown said "organisation will set you free". Man that's the truth!! I'm packed down in no time flat

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
Michael, the word you were looking for is obsolescence, as in planned obsolescence; not my favourite marketing ploy either.

Bingo!!!

On the weight thing - I gig electric bass as well. We got it easy on Tpt!!

For bass, gig depending, I carry:

2 basses
2 2x10 cabs weighing about 80lbs each
Amp head
Spare amp
DI
Spare DI
2 jack leads
2 xlrs
Mic, stand, music stand, bass stand
Power leads etc....
Effects if needed
Small mixing desk &a in ears or a monitor wedge

Yeah there is redundancy, but that's the idea. Better the gear is unused than you can't play. Once bitten, twice shy!!!

Mike

Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:

Yeah there is redundancy, but that's the idea. Better the gear is unused than you can't play. Once bitten, twice shy!!!

Mike

Hi Mike

I totally agree.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fun little thread. I love all the little things I would never think of like... bandages? I've needed them before but never actually thought about keeping them on hand. I don't carry anything crazy so here's my boring list:

ProTec double case
Bb & C trumpet with stand in each bell
Mouthpiece pouch and mouthpieces
Valve oils, slide grease, and trombone cream
Tim Wendt's swab
Ear plugs
Dr Beat
Phone charger
Custom spit cloth
Polishing cloth
Mouthpiece brush
Piece of trash, shoulda been replaced already Mighty "Brite" stand light
Spare batteries
PENCILS

I carry a separate bag of mutes filled as needed.

Last edited by kevin_soda on Tue May 09, 2017 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
I only carry what's needed, everything can stay in the car if needs be then it's just me and the Bb.

There are unfortunately, stories on TH about horns being stolen. Usually, it's from someone's car. Be careful out there....

Personally, I take what I need for the gig/rehearsal. Sometimes I take what I might need for the gig/rehearsal. If I know I don't need it, I don't bring it. The more stuff I bring, the more I have to keep track of, or can get damaged, stolen, lost, forgotten, misplaced, whatever. The less stuff I have, the better it is.

If I'm going to symphony rehearsal and I know the repertoire and I don't need a mute, I don't bring one. I certainly don't bring mutes I never use in that ensemble (hello, dusty Harmon). If it's not known, straight and cup is good for me. I needed a Harmon maybe 3 times over the past 15 or so years (three too many) so I'm not toting that around. My horns are much safer in my house than in my vehicle or sitting around at a rehearsal and that's where they'll stay until they're needed. I've been known to bring an additional Bb on a lark occasionally, but I'm not toting around horns or varying keys that I won't use just because.

- Bb Trumpet or Bb Cornet (depends on ensemble)
- Single Case
- Mouthpieces (maybe 2)
- Valve Oil
- Slide Grease (maybe)
- Mute/mutes (if need, or could be needed)
- Trumpet Stand (maybe)
- Music
- Pencil
- Water

Bring if needed

- More mutes
- Music stand
- C trumpet or Eb Trumpet or piccolo or Flugel (but not horns I won't need)
- Reading material
- Clothespins for outdoor gig
- Rag
- Stand Light (very rarely)

I don't bring any cleaning brushes or cloths. I keep those where I actually clean my horns. I regularly clean my horns and clean my mouthpieces frequently (nearly daily). I don't own amplification and rarely have gigs where that is used.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
bach_again wrote:
I only carry what's needed, everything can stay in the car if needs be then it's just me and the Bb.

There are unfortunately, stories on TH about horns being stolen. Usually, it's from someone's car. Be careful out there....

Personally, I take what I need for the gig/rehearsal. Sometimes I take what I might need for the gig/rehearsal. If I know I don't need it, I don't bring it. The more stuff I bring, the more I have to keep track of, or can get damaged, stolen, lost, forgotten, misplaced, whatever. The less stuff I have, the better it is.

If I'm going to symphony rehearsal and I know the repertoire and I don't need a mute, I don't bring one. I certainly don't bring mutes I never use in that ensemble (hello, dusty Harmon). If it's not known, straight and cup is good for me. I needed a Harmon maybe 3 times over the past 15 or so years (three too many) so I'm not toting that around. My horns are much safer in my house than in my vehicle or sitting around at a rehearsal and that's where they'll stay until they're needed. I've been known to bring an additional Bb on a lark occasionally, but I'm not toting around horns or varying keys that I won't use just because.

- Bb Trumpet or Bb Cornet (depends on ensemble)
- Single Case
- Mouthpieces (maybe 2)
- Valve Oil
- Slide Grease (maybe)
- Mute/mutes (if need, or could be needed)
- Trumpet Stand (maybe)
- Music
- Pencil
- Water

Bring if needed

- More mutes
- Music stand
- C trumpet or Eb Trumpet or piccolo or Flugel (but not horns I won't need)
- Reading material
- Clothespins for outdoor gig
- Rag
- Stand Light (very rarely)

I don't bring any cleaning brushes or cloths. I keep those where I actually clean my horns. I regularly clean my horns and clean my mouthpieces frequently (nearly daily). I don't own amplification and rarely have gigs where that is used.

Hi Crazy Finn

Thank you very much. You obviously have a good system.

Regarding harmon, I use mine a fair bit, even in my brass band, but I agree, I've never needed it in my symphony orchestra.

I don't own amplification either, and also rarely have gigs which require it.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs

Last edited by Louise Finch on Mon May 08, 2017 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
This is a fun little thread. I love all the little things I would never think of like... bandages? I've needed them before but never actually thought about keeping them on hand. I don't carry anything crazy so here's my boring list:

ProTec double case
Bb & C trumpet
Mouthpiece pouch and mouthpieces
Valve oils, slide grease, and trombone cream
Tim Wendt's swab
Ear plugs
Phone charger
Custom spit cloth
Polishing cloth
Mouthpiece brush
Piece of trash, shoulda been replaced already Mighty "Brite" stand light
Spare batteries
PENCILS

I carry a separate bag of mutes filled as needed.

Hi Kevin_soda

Thanks very much. Not a boring list at all. I don't suppose anyone's equipment list is actually interesting, but it is interesting in my opinion to compare the things we all carry.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
xtremetrumpeter

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really bad about carrying everything that I own in my bags...you never know what might happen during a rehearsal or gig.

In my Glenn Cronkhite super triple bag:
Bb trumpet
Piccolo
C trumpet (for those orchestra gigs & so that I don't have to transpose on those commercial gigs)
K&M stands for each horn
Spit rags & a polish cloth (hardly used)
8 piece mouthpiece pouch...Warburtons, couple of GR and my Bb pipe (piccolo)
Snark tuner
Earplugs
Airturn pedal
Leadpipe swab
(I'll switch out my piccolo for my flugel when I need it)

In my backpack of tools:
Mutes...straight, harmon (best brass & jo ral), cup, solotone, couple of practice mutes, plunger and a bucket mute
Mute Holder (from the horntrader)
Ipad pro with pencil
Light and Regular slide grease
Ultra light and regular valve oils
Small screwdriver set
Batteries
Portable battery charger for Ipad with extra charging cable
Medicines (tylenol, sudafed, anti-diarrhea pills and stuff for heartburn)
Chapstick
Mints
Dan Moi (used it once in a show)
Stand light...mainly to see what mute I need to grab during a show since I use my Ipad for my music
Extra mouthpiece tops
Clothespins
Special O.P.S.
P.E.T.E.

I believe that's about it. I carry a lot of stuff and think to myself..WHY!? But, there are those occasions when you might need something that you never thought of bringing. I'm debating about getting a case with wheels...maybe a protec Quad or Triple so that I can put most of what I need in that case and then bring out my protec multiple mute bag out of the closet. The good thing about my gigs and about where I live is that everything is on an island. I don't have to worry about really long commutes on trains or busses and I certainly don't have to worry about traveling with my stuff on an airplane. I've maybe flown once or twice for a gig...interisland that is.
Yamaha 8335 LA
ACB Doubler's Flugelhorn
Carol Brass 5000L (backup)
Kanstul 1510C with Copper Bell
Brasspire Piccolo
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kinda boring. In my Bb trumpet bag I have the two mouthpieces I play, a metronome, tuner, valve oil and some old programs.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtremetrumpeter wrote:

... snip ...
Stand light...mainly to see what mute I need to grab during a show since I use my Ipad for my music

Clothespins

... snip ...

The clothespins are to keep the wind from turning pages on your iPad?
xtremetrumpeter

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
xtremetrumpeter wrote:

... snip ...

Clothespins

... snip ...

The clothespins are to keep the wind from turning pages on your iPad?

You never know when a gust of wind will start flipping through pages on my ipad The clothespins are mainly for everyone else who isn't in the digital age yet
Yamaha 8335 LA
ACB Doubler's Flugelhorn
Carol Brass 5000L (backup)
Kanstul 1510C with Copper Bell
Brasspire Piccolo
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry the least I can get by with. For most rehearsals/gigs, I carry a hard case with one horn, a couple mouthpieces, straight, cup, harmon, & plunger mutes, music glasses, a pencil, valve oil, and a Crown Royal bag.

If I know I need an additional horn (cornet, C trumpet, or whatever), I'll throw it, the Bb trumpet, and all the other stuff into a ProTec triple case.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I carry the least I can get by with. For most rehearsals/gigs, I carry a hard case with one horn, a couple mouthpieces, straight, cup, harmon, & plunger mutes, music glasses, a pencil, valve oil, and a Crown Royal bag.

Hi Dale

Thanks very much. Sounds like you carry the standard items. The main items on my list are basically the same, but I carry a bucket mute instead of a Crown Royal bag, and also a music folder and music stand.

If I know I need an additional horn (cornet, C trumpet, or whatever), I'll throw it, the Bb trumpet, and all the other stuff into a ProTec triple case.

Sounds like a good system.

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtremetrumpeter wrote:
I'm really bad about carrying everything that I own in my bags...you never know what might happen during a rehearsal or gig.
I believe that's about it. I carry a lot of stuff and think to myself..WHY!? But, there are those occasions when you might need something that you never thought of bringing.

Going on multi-week tours in Europe or elsewhere when you have to lug all your luggage and equipment up multiple flights of stairs or on and off trains will cure you of gear-itis.

The crap you never use or have no reason to bring except for a 00.0001% chance of it being useful - it won't even cross your mind to bring that stuff.

I traveled for 3 weeks with a Bb cornet, 2 mouthpieces, valve oil and grease, a trumpet stand, and music. I never needed anything else.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtremetrumpeter wrote:

In my Glenn Cronkhite super triple bag:
Bb trumpet
Piccolo
C trumpet (for those orchestra gigs & so that I don't have to transpose on those commercial gigs)
K&M stands for each horn
Spit rags & a polish cloth (hardly used)
8 piece mouthpiece pouch...Warburtons, couple of GR and my Bb pipe (piccolo)
Snark tuner
Earplugs
Airturn pedal
Leadpipe swab
(I'll switch out my piccolo for my flugel when I need it)

In my backpack of tools:
Mutes...straight, harmon (best brass & jo ral), cup, solotone, couple of practice mutes, plunger and a bucket mute
Mute Holder (from the horntrader)
Ipad pro with pencil
Light and Regular slide grease
Ultra light and regular valve oils
Small screwdriver set
Batteries
Portable battery charger for Ipad with extra charging cable
Medicines (tylenol, sudafed, anti-diarrhea pills and stuff for heartburn)
Chapstick
Mints
Dan Moi (used it once in a show)
Extra mouthpiece tops
Clothespins
Special O.P.S.
P.E.T.E.

I believe that's about it. I carry a lot of stuff and think to myself..WHY!? But, there are those occasions when you might need something that you never thought of bringing. I'm debating about getting a case with wheels...maybe a protec Quad or Triple so that I can put most of what I need in that case and then bring out my protec multiple mute bag out of the closet. The good thing about my gigs and about where I live is that everything is on an island. I don't have to worry about really long commutes on trains or busses and I certainly don't have to worry about traveling with my stuff on an airplane. I've maybe flown once or twice for a gig...interisland that is.

Hi xtremetrumpeter

I think that I am very much along the lines of you, in that I don't have long journeys on public transport, and worry that I might need what I have decided not to bring.

Thanks very much.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs

Last edited by Louise Finch on Tue May 09, 2017 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockford wrote:
I'm kinda boring. In my Bb trumpet bag I have the two mouthpieces I play, a metronome, tuner, valve oil and some old programs.

Hi rockford

If that it all you need, sounds good to me.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
bach_again wrote:

I know man, and it happened to friends of mine as well. I never leave horns in the car; if I leave the car I leave with my Bb. I seldom need anything more than a Bb either. I wouldn't dream of loading and keeping my horns in the car. Mutes I can lose, thats NBD, horns.... no. Them's children!!

rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
rockford wrote:

Hi rockford

If that it all you need, sounds good to me.

Take care

Lou
Most of what I do is teach high school age a.d younger and play in a classic rock band. We don't need no stinkin mutes.😎
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: