• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What fingering do you use high G - Dub C?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: What fingering do you use high G - Dub C? Reply with quote

What fingering do you use for all notes from high (4th ledger) G to dub C?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: What fingering do you use high G - Dub C? Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:

All traditional fingerings
Fuzzy Dunlop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:

Exactly!

Ab tends to work 2-3 for most people, but the high A-natural is likely the most instrument/player/mouthpiece/contextually-dependent note on the trumpet. I know some who swear by 1-3 (also for the high G), some use 3, some 2.

In response to the OP, however, use the same chromatic fingerings you use from third space C and up for high c and above --- acoustic idiosyncrasies of the horn/player/mpc might create some intonation challenges, but alternative fingerings don't replace those which match the layout of the horn.

Now, some more well-informed than I will pinpoint which frequency the trumpet technically becomes too long for the ultra high notes we're talking about. At that point, the instrument IS simply amplifying what we buzz into the mouthpiece (isn't it always!? but, seriously, the acoustic length issue is legit), so which buttons we press have less and less impact on the final product...

Happy practicing!

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:

I use the normal fingerings. Unless I have my special 3rd valve slide in the horn (the one from another Benge that has the squeaker from a stuffed dog toy inserted in it). Then it's 3rd valve for everything from about G above High C to a ridiculously loud triple high C.

Explanation courtesy Bruce Chidester:

Link
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think maybe 80-90% of players have a break, or a change in vibration pattern in their chops somewhere around high G-A. I think this is why so many folks have a hard time slotting Gs G#s and As with traditional fingerlings. Maybe it's a horn thing, or frequency thing, not a chop thing. But this is where the problem seems to lie.

Fortunately my break is in a different spot a little lower, and I don't have an issue around those pesky high As I hear people frustratingly trying to find. High A luckily is a great note for me.

I don't know what the answer is to cleaning up those notes in the break. For me I've tried it all, chromatic exercises, tongued and slurred , different slur patterns, different dynamic levels alternate fingerlings, moving my chop placement..everything, .but still around my high E and F I chip and skip notes at a higher percentage than anywhere else.

I'm open to any new advice, I'd love to clean up that part of my playing!!
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
I think maybe 80-90% of players have a break, or a change in vibration pattern in their chops somewhere around high G-A. I think this is why so many folks have a hard time slotting Gs G#s and As with traditional fingerlings. Maybe it's a horn thing, or frequency thing, not a chop thing. But this is where the problem seems to lie.

Fortunately my break is in a different spot a little lower, and I don't have an issue around those pesky high As I hear people frustratingly trying to find. High A luckily is a great note for me.

I don't know what the answer is to cleaning up those notes in the break. For me I've tried it all, chromatic exercises, tongued and slurred , different slur patterns, different dynamic levels alternate fingerlings, moving my chop placement..everything, .but still around my high E and F I chip and skip notes at a higher percentage than anywhere else.

I'm open to any new advice, I'd love to clean up that part of my playing!!

Even Maynard complained of how some of those notes slotted. His 1974 chart "Pocohontas" features himself in a duet with our friend Lynn Nicholson.

(Back when I became Lynn's fan. I had already been Maynard's fan for five years..)

According to recent chats Ive had online with Lynn himself Maynard never liked the way his high B flat slotted. You'd never know by listening to him.

Also for you guys who haven't played in front of live audiences much: You would be most surprised at how having an audience in front of you forces you to play better that you thought yourself capable.

That last poster was quite good. Yes the G# above high C is a nasty one. I had trouble with it for many years. However by practicing softly and working down into the shalowest mouthpieces Ive finally got it working more satisfactorily.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
Even Maynard complained of how some of those notes slotted. His 1974 chart "Pocohontas" features himself in a duet with our friend Lynn Nicholson.

Pocahontas is on MF Horn 3 right? I don't think Lynn is on that album is he?

"Trumpets & Flugelhorns: Alan Downey, Mike Davis, Tony Mabbett, Terry Noonan" 1973 recording date

Is there another recording I'm not aware of with Lynn playing?
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Lionel wrote:

Pocahontas is on MF Horn 3 right? I don't think Lynn is on that album is he?

"Trumpets & Flugelhorns: Alan Downey, Mike Davis, Tony Mabbett, Terry Noonan" 1973 recording date

Is there another recording I'm not aware of with Lynn playing?

Ohhhhh this live recording?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-o3jljtj9Qk

On the record when this song starts I always thought what ever that sound was sounded like a duck 🦆
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I use open for the G above High C. A few years ago I had a lesson with Roger Ingram and I noticed he used 1 & 3 for the high G. I asked him about it, he said 1 & 3 slots better for him. Actually, I found years ago I could use practically any fingering up there because of how close the partials are. The different fingerings may feel a little different so it's your ear that helps. You need to hear it and feel it and figure what works best for you. I use the traditional fingerings and occasionally will use open for D above High C, 2 for F#, and 3 for A on quick passages or for tuning.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falado wrote:
Hi, I use open for the G above High C. A few years ago I had a lesson with Roger Ingram and I noticed he used 1 & 3 for the high G. I asked him about it, he said 1 & 3 slots better for him. Actually, I found years ago I could use practically any fingering up there because of how close the partials are. The different fingerings may feel a little different so it's your ear that helps. You need to hear it and feel it and figure what works best for you. I use the traditional fingerings and occasionally will use open for D above High C, 2 for F#, and 3 for A on quick passages or for tuning.

Dave

I see a bunch of guys use 3 only for high A. And that note sounds awful flat for a lot of guys. It sits in tune for you?
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use A above the staff on fast passages or if the 2nd player is playing just below me and yes, it can be played in tune and it has a slightly different feel or sound. It just depends what's happening around me. I use 12 for the higher A.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
Even Maynard complained of how some of those notes slotted.

My understanding is that those huge notes on the run up to the dub C on the opening bars of the studio recording of "Maynard Ferguson" - F G A C were actually a flub, that he intended to play it F G A Bb C as written but he overshot on the Bb and that piercing dub C came out instead - it sounded so good they left it that way.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynard seems to over shoot the high B at the end of the Gonna Fly Now recoding on the Conquistador record, and many live vids I've seen.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3-DKHMTV3NQ

But he sits on the note many times with no issue like in Gonna Fly Now and the end of Mac Park. But when he needs to just play a stinger, he often over shoots it

razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynard? Overshoot a note? Never! Lol

I'm amazed at how differently my various horns not only slot above high C, but how much the best fingering for intonation varies as well. A is not a squirrelly note for me at all; never has been, on any horn. I think a lot of that is mental approach and/or determination. Now if I could only get that Bb dialed in! DHC is far easier for me
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G open or 1&3 for a bit more hair on the note
Ab 1 or 2&3
A 1&2 or 3 for hair
Bb 1
B 2 or 1&3
C just the pinky

Typically if I have a break point up there it's indicative of an imbalance in the playing mechanism typically caused by overblowing or playing too loud. Once readdressed the fingering from the octave below typically works great.

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: What fingering do you use high G - Dub C? Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:

********** Fing.*******Alt.
-----------------------------------------
C (DHC)------ 0---------23---- 1------13
B---------------2---------12-----123--- 13----3
A#-------------1--------- 0----- 23----123
A-------------- 12-------- 2------13----- 3---- 0
G#------------ 23-------- 1------123----2
G---------------0---------13-----12------3
F#--------------2---------23-----123
========================
F----------------1---------13
E----------------0---------12-----123----3
D#------------- 2---------23
D----------------0---------1-----13
C#--------------2--------12-----123----3
C (High C)-----0---------23-----1
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falado wrote:

Dave

That sounds about right.
I like open for the G most of the time, but depending on where the pitch center of the band is, sometimes 13 feels firmer. 1 for Ab, 2 for A, and just about anything above that. One time (about 10 years ago when I was playing a lot of that range), I played G to GG without using valves. It was sloppy, but at the time and place that worked better than being tidy. But I rarely top an A any more.
Smeeth

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general I tend to use the fingering of the note an octave down plus a whole step. At least that tends to work on the notes around single high C
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use the normal fingerings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: