• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Impressions of the sound of this horn?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Impressions of the sound of this horn? Reply with quote

Looking for impressions of the sound of this horn. Recorded with a Tascam DR-05 portable recorder in my living room so gauge accordingly. Left the sound as is - no reverb or eq. The Tascam records on the bright side. If you think the fidelity isn't good enough to form an impression I can do another recorded in a better room at some point.

Yeah, I know I'm no Herseth - looking for impressions of the horn not my work-in-progress "Pictures" sample.

If you listen to the end there's an Easter egg - something I discovered this horn does.

I'll divulge what horn it is after I get some feedback.

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to be able to land notes accurately. The sound seems even throughout the range you played. The low range sounds good and does not have a nasal quality. The recording doesn't bring out the "ring" of the upper register, though I can hear it. This is probably the recorder.

All in all, I like the sound.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
ford850
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very resonant, much more so than my Bach 239, it's a pretty sound.
Either the intonation of the horn is good or you are keeping it in check well.
If I were to guess, I would say it sounds much like my Dillon C.
Getzen Renaissance 20S
Stomvi Master Bb cornet
Belcanto C
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the horn - $289 including shipping. I was using a Stork Custom Vacchiano 2D mp. I was amazed that shipping from China was five days. It actually got here faster than the excerpts book I ordered from California.

I discovered that if you flick on or near the bell brace with a fingernail, it makes a C-pitched *ting*. Is that common for C trumpets? It's a nice-looking horn. I like the fact that it doesn't have any brand/model name on the bell. As far as I can tell it seems to be a well made horn. Valves are smooth, slides all work fine.

My only previous encounter with a C was a few minutes with a Bach Strad C of unknown year at a local repair shop.

One oddity - it has a really large mp gap - I come up with about .3 inches - distance from edge of receiver to end of leadpipe minus the depth of intrusion of a mp.

Visually it looks like the exact same horn being sold under the Wisemann name, except the Wisemann has gold trim and rubber slide bumpers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prof-New-Silver-Plated-C-Keys-Trumpet-Horn-Monel-valves-With-Case-/182309712743?hash=item2a72817367:g:E-UAAOSw-jhUEvy8
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: