• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Switching between soprano/Eb Cornet and Bb Cornet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucas Edwards

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Switching between soprano/Eb Cornet and Bb Cornet Reply with quote

Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone has some helpful tips.. as of late, I have been finding it hard to go between soprano (Eb) and Bb cornet. I am mainly playing and focusing on soprano, but have one rehearsal a week with a band on solo cornet. I play Yamaha Neo soprano and Yamaha Neo Bb cornets, and play on a schilke 14B for soprano cornet (have recently changed to this from a Denis Wick S). Constantly changing between Wick and Alliance mouthpieces. Is it a matter of using the same rim?? And if so, does anyone know what has the same rim size as the schilke 14B??
SirBuzzALot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago, I was playing on Sop for a contest with one band and also on Bb for my other band. I could do it, however it did effect my sound on Bb and i lost my rich tone. After 8 months I went back to Bb with both bands and will stick to it now. I used a GR 66#6 for sop and a wick 3B (I now play on a 4 no letter) for Bb but they were so different that swopping between the two was not easy from one day to the next.

Perhaps playing on something more similar on both instruments may help?
If you play on an Alliance for Bb maybe a Sop Alliance maybe better suited.
Here is a review of the latest Alliance sop mouthpieces. A friend in band has just bought a Alliance S+ and makes a real nice sound.
http://www.4barsrest.com/reviews/products/inst063.asp

In my experince in BBB swopping between Sop and Bb is usually not that easy if you want to develop a good consistant sound.

Al
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a lot of switching, not directly from Bb cornet to Soprano but over a weeks worth of playing I play (rehersals and often performances) on most of, if not all, of my kit.

For me, having the same rim on all my horns has made a huge difference - just the feeling that the chops will vibrate. Then having the mouthpiece setup match the instrument - I think there is a balance between all the elements that makes and instrument unique and the mouthpiece design. i.e. What works well on my Bb ML Bach isn't the best for my CL Bach.

Then, approach; I always begin my day on the Bb, daily routine, before I pick up any of the others. When I get to the Sop. I focus on approaching it like I do with Piccolo -> ease off, a light touch.
Stay familiar with all of your instruments. I don't go very long without practicing on each, even for a short time.

In short, practice for what you'll be performing...

good luck
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
I do a lot of switching, not directly from Bb cornet to Soprano but over a weeks worth of playing I play (rehersals and often performances) on most of, if not all, of my kit.

For me, having the same rim on all my horns has made a huge difference - just the feeling that the chops will vibrate. Then having the mouthpiece setup match the instrument - I think there is a balance between all the elements that makes and instrument unique and the mouthpiece design. i.e. What works well on my Bb ML Bach isn't the best for my CL Bach.

Then, approach; I always begin my day on the Bb, daily routine, before I pick up any of the others. When I get to the Sop. I focus on approaching it like I do with Piccolo -> ease off, a light touch.
Stay familiar with all of your instruments. I don't go very long without practicing on each, even for a short time.

In short, practice for what you'll be performing...

good luck

+1!

Always had the same problem - switching from soprano to Bb cornet a bit difficult, whereas switching to to Bb trumpet no problems (mostly..)
Could be the necessity to produce that kinda deep round "polished" tone on the Bb cornet (also to blend with the other solocornets) was one variable; Me too always tried to use same kind of rim - to get that warm receiving feeling. The soprano should at times sound sparkling, provide that bright sailing over the band - rather opposite to the Bb cornet sound.
And of course at times just dolce!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, switching between Eb and Bb cornet is more of a problem with my head than my cornets or mouthpieces, especially when picking up one just after having played the other.

Last edited by Dale Proctor on Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones, but I don't find it too difficult to go back and forth at all.

Matching rims might help some people, but it doesn't seem to give me any advantage at all - as a general rule, I prefer larger ID's and generally broader, flatter rims on Bb than I do on sop.... but that's me.

Preperation is important and Zaferis is correct that if you're going to use both, you need to practice on both (as I rarely play Bb cornet other than to "dep", this generally means I only get it out to practice it when I know I'm going to need to play it - otherwise I focus almost entirely on sop).
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a matter of practising the CHANGE as well as both instruments. In college, my recitals used:
Piccolo, Eb, Bb, Flugel and cornet
Piccolo C, Bb, Eb

and I had different rims for Picc, Bb/C, cornet and flugel. By working on changing horns a lot and working on making the change easy, I could cope.

These days I use the same rim on almost all my valid horns, and have different rims for natural & keyed trumpet, and flugel. So still 4 rims, but close in size to each other. while it makes life easy, there is no substitute for spending some time each day moving back and forth.

Right now, with a Messiah in the wings, my picc and natural trumpets are out, and they get picked up during the day, between lessons. It feels normal to go to these different horns and mouthpieces.

cheers

Andy
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with the posts that you must practice both horns and you must practice the switch. I literally just finished a practice session where I played BB2 on C picc, switched to Flowerdale on SOP, and then to Bb trumpet for a some MacPark. Why? That's not really important suffice it to say that I have something coming up where I will be playing a little of each of those pieces on those horns and I need to practice the switch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: