• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Quality flugelhorn?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dashtrpt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Quality flugelhorn? Reply with quote

Hi all, what's considered a good brand these days? I've tried a Yamaha which I like a lot. Must have 1st and 3rd triggers. Thanks!
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Quality flugelhorn? Reply with quote

Dashtrpt wrote:
Hi all, what's considered a good brand these days? I've tried a Yamaha which I like a lot. Must have 1st and 3rd triggers. Thanks!

A good pro level flugelhorn will not need a 1st valve trigger. If the flugelhorn needs a 1st valve trigger, the design is not up to professional quality by today's standards.

Along with Yamaha, consider:

Kanstul
Flip Oakes
Scodwell
Burbank
Adams
Hub Van Laar
Inderbinen
Eclipse
Taylor
Calliccio
Jupiter (certain models)
Vintage 1

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you wanting a new horn, or looking at used and vintage as well?
jharris2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Quality flugelhorn? Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
Dashtrpt wrote:

A good pro level flugelhorn will not need a 1st valve trigger. If the flugelhorn needs a 1st valve trigger, the design is not up to professional quality by today's standards.

Kanstul
Flip Oakes
Scodwell
Burbank
Adams
Hub Van Laar
Inderbinen
Eclipse
Taylor
Calliccio
Jupiter (certain models)
Vintage 1

I would add Getzen to this list.

2014 Flip Oakes Wild Thing flugelhorn (copper bell)
2014 Flip Oakes Celebration trumpet
2005 Flip Oakes Wild Thing trumpet
2002 Flip Oakes Wild Thing short cornet
1976 Getzen Eterna Severinsen trumpet
1951 Olds Ambassador cornet
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First batch of the new Jerome Callet flugelhorn, the Grand Prix, should be available in about 10 days. Jerry's original large bore design is still highly regarded, especially in big bands. But this new .415 model is extra efficient and responsive with an even smoother, richer sound. Check them out at ITG.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Getzen Custom Reserve flügel is fantastic!

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are lucky enough to found a Lawler grab it....

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems these days that at least some high school band teachers are insisting on a first valve trigger/saddle and these kids are playing pretty young ... so a Yamaha student model may be a great horn but also have the "unnecessary" 1st valve dealio...
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Courtois 155R flugelhorn, which has triggers on the 1st and 3rd valve slides. I thought I would need the 1st valve trigger, since I use first valve slide adjustments on my other instruments. However, I found I never need it on this flugel. (I do need the 3rd valve trigger, though.) The Courtois 154 flugel is essentially the same as the 155, but without the 1st valve trigger. I would recommend Courtois flugelhorns if you want a deep, dark, mellow sound with lots of presence. I got the rose brass bell; the yellow brass bell is not as dark but still has a rich, mellow sound.

I'd also recommend the Kanstul flugelhorns, which have a nice balanced sound, and the Yamahas, which have a beautiful clear sound.

But wait, don't we always want the darkest, most mellow flugelhorn possible? Maybe not. You might love it during the play test but wish you had something more balanced when you're out playing it with others. (BTW, even though it's rather dark and mellow, I've been happy with my Courtois. It's sound is clear enough to work where I've played it. But I did switch from a really deep mouthpiece to a medium deep mouthpiece for a clearer sound and ease of play.)

I've heard videos of the Conn Vintage 1 flugelhorn, and I think it sounds great. I haven't had the chance to play test one, but I'd keep it on my list if I were shopping.

The Adams flugelhorns sound nice also. There are quite a few models and options to go through. Trent Austin sells them at Austin Custom Brass.

Tony Scodwell posted a very informative video about his Scodwell flugelhorn. No matter what you end up with, I think you owe it to yourself to check out that video. I'd keep that instrument on your shopping list if I were you.

ETA: I forgot to mention the Stomvi Titan flugel. Jim Rotondi plays one on his Dark Blue album. Beautiful playing with a nice clear, balanced sound.
Piccolo Stomvi

Last edited by dstdenis on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I think differing bore size on trumpets are not a super big deal, the difference between .460-.468 for instance is easy for me to adjust.

But on flugelhorns, I think bore is a more important factor. I and most players I think, prefer the smaller bore size. I've seen flugels range from .410-.460 (maybe .470?? I forget the Callet Jazz specs) and the small bores have the light "fluffy" sound I'm looking for.

Some guys like the larger bore flugs, like the older Getzen and Benge from the 70s, but I think they sound tubby and more like an alto trombone than a flugelhorn. But you'll find diehards on both sides of the argument.

All that said, for modern flugelhorns I think Kanstul and Yamaha variations will be the most popular at least in the US. I don't like super dark sounding horns, so I'd lean towards yellow brass Yamaha Z horns (whatever the current model is) and the Besson and Couesnon copies Kanstul makes the 925 and 1025 are the current models I think.

I've played some Adams flugels recently that are just awesome horns. I like the Bach Strad flug, although many don't (I don't know why that is)

Going vintage and used is a way to go. Of course everybody loves a good used Couesnon from the 60s-70s or a French Besson...but it's a crap shoot and hit and miss finding one with out tons of issues and problems.

Trigger please.......

I wouldn't worry about a first valve slide trigger. I can't think of anybody that even builds a horn w a first valve trigger. Most have third valve triggers and that seems to be enough to fix any issues. I wouldn't keep that variable in my equation when buying a flugelhorn
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
While I think differing bore size on trumpets are not a super big deal, the difference between .460-.468 for instance is easy for me to adjust.

But on flugelhorns, I think bore is a more important factor. I and most players I think, prefer the smaller bore size. I've seen flugels range from .410-.460 (maybe .470?? I forget the Callet Jazz specs) and the small bores have the light "fluffy" sound I'm looking for.

Some guys like the larger bore flugs, like the older Getzen and Benge from the 70s, but I think they sound tubby and more like an alto trombone than a flugelhorn. But you'll find diehards on both sides of the argument.

All that said, for modern flugelhorns I think Kanstul and Yamaha variations will be the most popular at least in the US. I don't like super dark sounding horns, so I'd lean towards yellow brass Yamaha Z horns (whatever the current model is) and the Besson and Couesnon copies Kanstul makes the 925 and 1025 are the current models I think.

I've played some Adams flugels recently that are just awesome horns. I like the Bach Strad flug, although many don't (I don't know why that is)

Going vintage and used is a way to go. Of course everybody loves a good used Couesnon from the 60s-70s or a French Besson...but it's a crap shoot and hit and miss finding one with out tons of issues and problems.

Trigger please.......

I wouldn't worry about a first valve slide trigger. I can't think of anybody that even builds a horn w a first valve trigger. Most have third valve triggers and that seems to be enough to fix any issues. I wouldn't keep that variable in my equation when buying a flugelhorn

I think that this pretty well sums it all up.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:

There are a couple. The Curtois AC155 has 1st and 3rd valve triggers. King 2020 also has 1st and 3rd valve triggers. But I agree that they are not common, and probably not considered a must-have.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Quality flugelhorn? Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
Dashtrpt wrote:

Kanstul
Flip Oakes
Scodwell
Burbank
Adams
Hub Van Laar
Inderbinen
Eclipse
Taylor
Calliccio
Jupiter (certain models)
Vintage 1

If you realy need a first slide trigger a cheaper but realy good flugel is the Getzen Capri model , it comes with first valve trigger and third valve ring and it has a trumpet value block and is very easy to go from trumpet to flugel, with a good mpc you can get a great flugel sound.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the others who say that typically a flugel doesn't need a 1st valve trigger. Due to the nature of how a flugel blows, a small adjustment of the 1st slide - sort of a "set it and forget it" kind of thing - gets you close enough where you won't need to trigger it and you'll be close enough that your ear takes care of the rest. I do like having the 3rd slide trigger though.

A safe bet on a flugel is a Yamaha 631G. For me, it's the horn I compare everything else to when assessing a flugel.

I had a lacquered Kanstul 925 for a number of years that I loved. I sold it because at the time I wasn't using it, and I wanted cash for another project. I've kicked myself ever since.

There's a silver plated one on the marketplace now at a very reasonable price. If it was lacquer, I'd be taking a hard look at it.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:

I had a lacquered Kanstul 925 for a number of years that I loved. I sold it because at the time I wasn't using it, and I wanted cash for another project. I've kicked myself ever since.

There's a silver plated one on the marketplace now at a very reasonable price. If it was lacquer, I'd be taking a hard look at it.

You know for decades I thought my flugels needed to be lacquer. I think, I thought lacquer was definitely a darker sound. I don't know if it was a visual thing or what.

But my current and last fluegelhorns are silver plate and I LOVE playing them. The sound is still dark, but the response is faster and I like the way it records.

If I were in the market and wanted a used flug at a more than fair price, I'd scoop up that Kanstul in the market place!!
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The overtone series is primarily dictated by the bell flare, and the player, not the finish.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
The overtone series is primarily dictated by the bell flare, and the player, not the finish.

Yeah...I figured the sound and finish concerns were in my unquiet mind, not coming out of my horn.

Silver is easier to care for as well. I seem to have high acid contents in my sweat I guess, because I seem to eat through lacquer pretty easy. But silver plate doesn't seem effected.

Like I said that Kanstul in the market place in silver plate should be a good buy for somebody!!
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy wrote:
First batch of the new Jerome Callet flugelhorn, the Grand Prix, should be available in about 10 days. Jerry's original large bore design is still highly regarded, especially in big bands. But this new .415 model is extra efficient and responsive with an even smoother, richer sound. Check them out at ITG.

tptguy, do you know if the Grand Prix has the same unique valve slide configuration as the large bore design?
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:

Benge.nut wrote:
You know for decades I thought my flugels needed to be lacquer. I think, I thought lacquer was definitely a darker sound. I don't know if it was a visual thing or what.

But my current and last fluegelhorns are silver plate and I LOVE playing them. The sound is still dark, but the response is faster and I like the way it records.

Don Herman rev2 wrote:

Yeah. I have a Yamaha 731 - which is silver. If you think that silver is too shiny for a flugel - visually, then just leave it out and don't polish it. It'll look like something that could be at an antique store or on the wall at Applebees (insert local/chain bar/restaurant here) in no time - mine certainly does. Plays nice, though.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanstul 925 Custom Classic with a deep MP makes the classic flugel sound. I'm selling mine if you're interested.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: