• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Frankenhorns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzman99
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Frankenhorns Reply with quote

Hi, all! Hope you've been well!
It's been a long time since my last post or comment. It's just been busy as all get out. Anyhow, I was wondering how many of you have built frankenhorns before. How did you go about it? What would you recommend doing and not doing? How did your project turn out in the end? How do you know if some lead pipes and tuning slides will fit together (without knowing their measurements right off the top of your head)? General questions like that.
Thanks guys!
Jupiter 1700R Piccolo W/ Yamaha Allen Vizzutti MP
Kanstul 1525 w/ Flip Oakes Wild Thing Extreme #1.25
ford850
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I've collected parts and whenever I get the urge I'll experiment with bells, valve bodies and leadpipes.
I usually just use electrical tape to hold the thing together while I take each "hybrid" for a test drive.
I don't really have a system but if things fit together and seems like it might work I'll give it a try. Right now my go-to horn is a large bore Benge valve body, (Kanstul made?) Besson Meha bell (.464") and some oddball besson cornetish leadpipe. It's very lightweight and has a sweet ringing tone.
Getzen Renaissance 20S
Stomvi Master Bb cornet
Belcanto C
unicornis

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Frankenhorns Reply with quote

Have changed all of our Bachs to Malone pipes. MB1 or MC1 models are the bests
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a number of "hybrid" trumpets, i.e., different brands of parts put together in years past, but my enthusiasm for them has waned. Age, I suppose. Now, if I do something like that to an instrument, I'll only do it if it can't be detected visually. Keeps the resale value up.
-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ford850 wrote:
Over the years I've collected parts and whenever I get the urge I'll experiment with bells, valve bodies and leadpipes.
I usually just use electrical tape to hold the thing together while I take each "hybrid" for a test drive.
I don't really have a system but if things fit together and seems like it might work I'll give it a try. Right now my go-to horn is a large bore Benge valve body, (Kanstul made?) Besson Meha bell (.464") and some oddball besson cornetish leadpipe. It's very lightweight and has a sweet ringing tone.

If that's the horn you were playing Monday night, it does have a nice sound, warm with a nice core.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: