• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"Music City"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GideonT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: "Music City" Reply with quote

I live in Nashville and in the past few years we've seen a large increase in tourism and permanent tourists moving in. The symphony is great but lots of the people that come here seem to think Nashville is still very southern and all about honky tonks and country music and all the locals have southern accents but almost no one that I know has an accent. I want to know if you've been to or lived in Nashville and what you thought of it or even if you haven't done either of those what you've heard about it.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went one time to visit the Grand Ole Opry. I enjoyed the show - it was good, clean, wholesome family entertainment. I went to see Dailey and Vincent and they didn't disappoint.

The very few people whom I met there were friendly - especially those with southern accents.

The town itself, what little I saw of it, compares favorably with other cities. I didn't feel threatened there, but after strolling around Baghdad during the last war, very few places seem threatening to me.

You mentioned Nashville's reputation - it is generally regarded as a country music town. Is there much of a jazz scene there?

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
GideonT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some jazz yes, there's a small club near downtown where musicians can pretty much do whatever they want, which is good since they can preform what they want to and not what they are told to like studio musicians but there were some people that were just there for the drinks and to talk with their friends at the bar (I'm underage but was with my dad) even while the guys were playing which I thought was pretty rude but I guess that comes with it not being a super serious jazz club. I got to see and re-meet Lief Shires and his small group, I first met him a few weeks earlier because he was hired as an instructor for high brass in our marching band for band camp. Super nice and it was really cool to see him preform after he had taught us. The other musicians were really really good too and the place is called Rudy's Jazz room.
Here's a video of the day I got to see him
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uBUbFlOmmQk

Also, thank you for your service!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked there. Musicians were very good and more versatile than you might think. The recording area I was in was very friendly. Didn't get much of a vibe for the city. Have no compulsion to return, but I didn't spend more than a week there and a lot of that time was in the studio, YMMV.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our son earned his degree in graphic design from Lipscomb University and has now lived in Nashville for over ten years. It is a growing, eclectic city.

There are still droves of tourists from the Midwest who embrace country music and walk up and down Broadway hitting the clubs and Ernest Tubb's Record shop.

Our son's words: "the hipsters have discovered Nashville." There are many young people moving to the city. Housing has become expensive and hard to find. "Close-in" housing projects are being built at a rapid pace. We have found that hotel prices have almost doubled in the last five years.

He uses his degree as a freelance graphic designer and is doing well, and is also in the band Birdtalker. I heard them live at the The High Watt last year. Lots of energy, lots of young people, outstanding folk/rock music... not a Luke Bryan T-shirt in sight.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to college in Nashville and thought it was a great town. Although everyone thinks of it as a country music place, I heard all kinds of music when I was there, and I met people from all over.

Reminds me of that line from The Blues Brothers: "Oh, we got both kinds [of music here]--we got country AND western." Nashville wasn't like that for me.
Piccolo Stomvi
GideonT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WxJeff wrote:

There are still droves of tourists from the Midwest who embrace country music and walk up and down Broadway hitting the clubs and Ernest Tubb's Record shop.

Our son's words: "the hipsters have discovered Nashville." There are many young people moving to the city. Housing has become expensive and hard to find. "Close-in" housing projects are being built at a rapid pace. We have found that hotel prices have almost doubled in the last five years.

Sounds about right, tons of new houses going up that's look super out of place next to houses from the 40's and 60's. I herd from a contractor that the materials they use to build them are pretty cheap and probably won't last more than 10 years without any problems. Traffic is also much worse. And now there are plenty of pedal taverns blasting "country" music filled with shouting tourists all around downtown. The good part about expensive property is that my house was worth much more than what we originally bought it for and sold it to get a better house in East Nashville. The old was was torn down and replaced with a massive ugly grey thing made of multiple boxes lazily placed inside of each other. People on the neighborhood jokingly called it the hitler house when it first went up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: