• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I Need a Reality Check - Range and Endurance

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajwan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: I Need a Reality Check - Range and Endurance Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm in need of a reality check.

I'm a come back player after 22 years in hiatus. Originally a French horn player in highschool (but always a closet cornet player), I've switched to the Bb cornet and I've been practicing daily for a minimum of 30 mins everyday since the first week of January of this year (cant play more than that as I have a day job and a home life). So effectively my embouchure is only 4 months old.

So far my effective range is consistently to the B above the treble staff (with decent tone and control). Problem is my endurance. For example, after a decent warm up, I can play the second movement of Haydn's Trumpet Concerto (Eb) (with two runs to a Bb above the staff) maybe twice on a good day and that's it! Mind you, there are breaks in the song to rest briefly.

I'm a bit frustrated that my endurance in the upper parts of my current range is short. My goal is to be able to play a song with no breaks. For example, two verses of the Christmas song "O Holy Night" (which has no rests), and have enough in the tank for a decent pause on the Bb above the staff at the end of the song. No fancy runs or variations, just as it is and focusing on intonation/quality.

How am I doing after 4 months? Am I being impatient and too hard on myself? Can I do better? How long until I reach my immediate goal given my current practice regimen (5 mins warm ups, melodies 15 mins, range exercises 10 mins)? Am I being realistic?

I'd greatly appreciate some opinions on this.

Cheers,
Andrew
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The universal suggestion is always to take lessons from a good teacher. For best feedback here, I suggest posting video of yourself playing a song. Without seeing and hearing you, there's no way to make a meaningful evaluation of what you're doing. Go ahead and post video of you playing O Holy Night.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
ajwan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
The universal suggestion is always to take lessons from a good teacher. For best feedback here, I suggest posting video of yourself playing a song. Without seeing and hearing you, there's no way to make a meaningful evaluation of what you're doing. Go ahead and post video of you playing O Holy Night.

Yes, I'd agree; I've considered an instructor. As for the song itself (O Holy Night), I've only tried it once in the last month! LOL!

A video? I'm happy to perform simple stuff in front of a church congregation. But not so sure my ability/confidence can endure the scrutiny of the TH crowd, at least not quite yet!
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People always say the same thing while giving advice. Lip flexibility, slurs, arpeggios, long tones....then you hear mouthpiece buzzing ,long tones (yawn) then more fringe guys get into leadpipe buzzing, pencil exercises, P.E.T.E

But nobody talks about articulating. Lots of rapid articulations slightly below and above the end of your range.

If a high B is it, try playing 50-75 Gs, G#s, As, Bbs, Bs and Cs ...then up those numbers to maybe 100-150

Try doing repeated 16th notes in chromatics around those same areas. The more you play those notes, the more you develop the muscle memory...not strength...to remember HOW to play those new notes.

Play simple melodies around the end of your range (and everywhere else) but TONGUE the notes. Don't just slur or sit on the notes. Lots and lots and lots of repetitions.

When you are articulating notes, you'll realize you aren't breathing as much as you thought you needed too and won't be wasting energy, and you'll be teaching yourself to relax more and not overblow.

Once you can tongue and really own those notes and know where they sit and feel, sustaining them is much easier.

If you get bored incorporate scales you are not as strong with, or melodies, or work on transposing while using articulation exercises.

It's what worked for me, and I've seen work for others. Try everything, take the good and leave the rest....but everybody seems to overlook the importance of articulating to build and increase range and endurance

The end
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajwan wrote:
A video? I'm happy to perform simple stuff in front of a church congregation. But not so sure my ability/confidence can endure the scrutiny of the TH crowd, at least not quite yet!

Nobody expects you to sound like a pro - you're not auditioning, you're asking for help to improve. There's no way to make meaningful comment on what you may be able to improve unless you can be seen.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
ajwan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
People always say the same thing while giving advice. Lip flexibility, slurs, arpeggios, long tones....then you hear mouthpiece buzzing ,long tones (yawn) then more fringe guys get into leadpipe buzzing, pencil exercises, P.E.T.E

But nobody talks about articulating. Lots of rapid articulations slightly below and above the end of your range.

If a high B is it, try playing 50-75 Gs, G#s, As, Bbs, Bs and Cs ...then up those numbers to maybe 100-150

Try doing repeated 16th notes in chromatics around those same areas. The more you play those notes, the more you develop the muscle memory...not strength...to remember HOW to play those new notes.

Play simple melodies around the end of your range (and everywhere else) but TONGUE the notes. Don't just slur or sit on the notes. Lots and lots and lots of repetitions.

When you are articulating notes, you'll realize you aren't breathing as much as you thought you needed too and won't be wasting energy, and you'll be teaching yourself to relax more and not overblow.

Once you can tongue and really own those notes and know where they sit and feel, sustaining them is much easier.

If you get bored incorporate scales you are not as strong with, or melodies, or work on transposing while using articulation exercises.

It's what worked for me, and I've seen work for others. Try everything, take the good and leave the rest....but everybody seems to overlook the importance of articulating to build and increase range and endurance

The end

Thanks for this. If you'd asked me to do this in my teens I would have balked. But that's why we're called "comeback players", right? Yeah I don't mind the hard work!
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I Need a Reality Check - Range and Endurance Reply with quote

ajwan wrote:
Am I being impatient and too hard on myself?

Yes.

ajwan wrote:
Can I do better? How long until I reach my immediate goal given my current practice regimen (5 mins warm ups, melodies 15 mins, range exercises 10 mins)?

1 Year +

Quote:
Am I being realistic?

No*

Quote:
I'm a bit frustrated that my endurance in the upper parts of my current range is short. My goal is to be able to play a song with no breaks.

This is a fools goal. Trumpet players NEED TO GET THE MOUTHPIECE OFF THE FACE AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE. More so when your embouchure is developing.
That said, there are exercises intended to develop this, such as the Caruso Calisthenics exercises.
You will teach yourself bad habits if you practice this way, specifically, you'll begin to use mouthpiece pressure to change pitch because your musculature is either tired, or unable to work properly because the mouthpiece has 'sunk into the face'. As a s single exercise in a routine, with plenty of rest scheduled it's fine. As an approach to practicing the instrument in general, it's terrible.

FYI Caruso's time frame for proper development was about 3 years of using the routine.

Forget that you used to be able to play the trumpet. The only thing that gains you is a familiarity with what valve = what note.

Think of yourself as a complete beginner. Put he Haydn away, and go back to basics. Pull it back out in a year or so.

---
*Edit: I originally read it as 'unrealistic' and wrote 'yes'. Whoops!

Last edited by Trumpetingbynurture on Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:

The end

This is not bad advice but I think it's too much too soon. Maybe if he started on Middle C-E for the first month, and then added a note per week...

He says his B is strong, but he only has 2 Bbs in actual musical situations, so starting even at the G is going to be too much I think. Better to start lower and build up slower so that he's at the High C in about 6 months time...
ajwan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I Need a Reality Check - Range and Endurance Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
ajwan wrote:
Am I being impatient and too hard on myself?

Yes.

ajwan wrote:
Can I do better? How long until I reach my immediate goal given my current practice regimen (5 mins warm ups, melodies 15 mins, range exercises 10 mins)?

1 Year +

Quote:
Am I being realistic?

Yes

Quote:
I'm a bit frustrated that my endurance in the upper parts of my current range is short. My goal is to be able to play a song with no breaks.

This is a fools goal. Trumpet players NEED TO GET THE MOUTHPIECE OFF THE FACE AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE. More so when your embouchure is developing.
That said, there are exercises intended to develop this, such as the Caruso Calisthenics exercises.
You will teach yourself bad habits if you practice this way, specifically, you'll begin to use mouthpiece pressure to change pitch because your musculature is either tired, or unable to work properly because the mouthpiece has 'sunk into the face'. As a s single exercise in a routine, with plenty of rest scheduled it's fine. As an approach to practicing the instrument in general, it's terrible.

FYI Caruso's time frame for proper development was about 3 years of using the routine.

Forget that you used to be able to play the trumpet. The only thing that gains you is a familiarity with what valve = what note.

Think of yourself as a complete beginner. Put he Haydn away, and go back to basics. Pull it back out in a year or so.

I appreciate your comment. This and the others pretty much confirms my goals are too aggressive at this time and I need to slow it down.

Cheers,
Andrew
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came back last spring after a 50+ year hiatus. I over did everything in the first 2 or 3 months but got some pretty good advice and after I cut back on the excessive time ( 2 hours ) I was devoting to the technical stuff, learned relaxed breathing, soft playing, and playing tunes within the staff. Now a year and a bit later things are going well for me and I have been playing with a community band since last fall, and play music regularly with some notes at A above the staff ( my comfort range, though I play a high C daily ). I am 80 and realize I will never have the endurance I had in my teens and twenties, so I make sure I get lots of rest time during my practice sessions. You've been given some good advice here so the only thing I would add is to think positive, take things slow and easy and don't expect too much the first few months. And whatever you do, forget how good a player you may have been in your youth and approach things as if you are learning to play for the first time.
Good luck.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
Benge.nut wrote:

The end

This is not bad advice but I think it's too much too soon. Maybe if he started on Middle C-E for the first month, and then added a note per week...

He says his B is strong, but he only has 2 Bbs in actual musical situations, so starting even at the G is going to be too much I think. Better to start lower and build up slower so that he's at the High C in about 6 months time...

You're quite right. I thought I implied starting lower and practicing those exercises in all registers including the extreme of his register...but I guess I didn't!!

I wrote an awful lot of words in that post...probably too much, but yup...I missed that point.

And I can't express enough how strongly I feel about articulation and how I feel that this skill is so overlooked in many folk's practice routines.

When I really work, even just in the low and medium register, I have a whole different feeling in my chops, much more endurance better intonation and I just play better that day.

I think it really helps focus and take tension out of my face and chops.

Plus accuracy....it really helped me solidify slots in my trouble areas in the high register. After playing a few zillion sixteenth notes I slot G# and As above high C at a level I never thought I would. And my break is around high E-F above high C, still an issue for me, but tons of articulations have improved that area as well.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you won't get as much development with only a half hour to practice as someone who can put in multiple short sessions, Pops wrote some books specific to your situation. Look for them in our market place, I think I saw Chops Builder recently. You'll have to really practice smart!
ajwan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good replies! I'll consider all these and might decide to check in with my kid's teacher!

Cheers,
Andrew
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get that tongue happening!!!

😛😝😜👅
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew,

Yes, you are being impatient and too hard on yourself. Your goal is one that will take at least a year and perhaps longer to develop, not four months.

Stick with it.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
ajwan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Hi Andrew,

Yes, you are being impatient and too hard on yourself. Your goal is one that will take at least a year and perhaps longer to develop, not four months.

Stick with it.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested

Thanks very much for your words of encouragement! I most certainly will stick with it. Cheers.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some....interesting comments in this thread. I'm going to echo what John Mohan said - yes, you are being too hard on yourself and it's going to take some time to develop to a place where your range and endurance are better.

I'm also going to go against the grain and tell you that a teacher is not absolutely necessary, provided you don't have some fundamental chops problems that need to be fixed. Since you say you can play a B above the staff with good sound and control and you are only 4 months into a comeback, that indicates to me that your embouchure is pretty normal.

I'm also going to touch on another thought - in general I think comebackers are WAY too hard on themselves, and that they often push themselves too hard, too fast, and might have some unrealistic expectations.

Stop for a second and think back to your formative years on a brass instrument. How long had you been at it before you reached a level where you were able to actually play something outside of normal graded (2/3) school material and have it sound polished? I really didn't get to that point until I was an 11th grader, and by then I was in my 7th year of playing and chops development. You've been back 4 months and you are doing the 2nd movement of the Haydn - something I didn't initially play and perform until 12th grade.

So, like John says, stick with it - your chops will develop, both in strength and focus, but it's going to take time, practice and patience.

On a side note, taking lessons could definitely be beneficial, but not absolutely necessary - at the end of the day, you're the one who is going to put in the time and work, but a teacher can help streamline things and make you aware of things you might be doing that you are not able to discern yourself.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Introducing logic into the analysis we might ask the o/p which mouthpiece he uses?

The ability to have good endurance in the upper register is conditional, at least in part to how much effort is required to play the upper register to begin with. When the mouthpiece is overly large, deep, and has sharp edges, particularly the inner rim "bite"?

It's usually just asking for trouble. Much of the benefits in tone production which trumpet players typically seek in larger pieces can be obtained on medium and even shallow pieces. Just so long as the back bore and even second cup can be altered..

Thus? There's just no need to kill yourself guys! There are enough martyrs playing trumpet as it is. You'll note those using the described large, sharp edged pieces by the following characteristics,

Most notable and permanent ring on upper lip. Even days after playing the trumpet.
Plays 3rd cornet parts almost exclusively.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your original post sounds pretty good for 4 months. Endurance and range are limiting factors for all trumpet players, professionals included. Range is a tricky subject, but the easiest and best ways I've found for increasing endurance are:

1) Play in more frequent but shorter practice sessions. If you can practice 1-2 hours spread throughout the day in 20 minute chunks, you will accomplish a lot more than the same amount of time all in one stretch. Maintaining fresh, responsive chops is a key component of efficiency.

2) Don't kill yourself with the fundamentals. Playing 90 high D#'s is going to do what for you exactly? Instead, practice music with the same attention to detail you give your "technique" practice. It's the same 12 notes. Might as well spend your time learning how to play music that actually interests you.

johnlakejazz.com
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will add one more remark about your goal of wanting to play a whole song through: check out that middle section of the Arban's book - The Art of Phrasing. It's got a bunch of really nice, shorter melodies to play. Focus on getting 1 really solid each week. Or, practice sight reading 3-4 in a row. Lots of fun to be had.

johnlakejazz.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: