• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Fever Blisters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flashlarue@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Fever Blisters Reply with quote

I got them as a high school trumpet player and now as a comeback player (67) still continue to get them. All I can do is lay off the horn for a day or two or three and use Chopsaver. Does anyone else have issues with these? What works for you?

Thanks for this great forum.

Michael...
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TH.

We've had some discussions in the past on cold sores (and I can't remember if cold sores and fever blisters are synonymous.)

I am susceptible to cold sores (my understanding is I am a carrier of the herpes virus) and will use Herpecin L lip balm to help with healing.

The best advice I have received, however, is at the first "tingle" indication that one is imminent is to "bomb" it with L Lysine. I just got over a viral cold a few days ago and felt that I possibly had a cold sore developing. Took 1000mg of L Lysine twice in a 24 hr period and it completely went away/never developed.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to your participation on the forum.
flashlarue@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the tip.
Michael
Paladin53

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Robinson's Lip Repair.
https://www.robinsonsremedies.com/blog/
Trumpet Dynamics Podcast has an interview with Ken Robinson talking about how cold sores affected his trumpet career and about developing this product.
I don't know if it will help fever blisters.
Floyd
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also get actual "cold sores" (viral herpes induced) on occasions that aren't convenient for performance. I have a prescription for generic Valtrex/Valacyclovir (believe that's the spelling) and I take a hit of it if I feel the tingle. I've also experimented with the L Lysine as well but the Valtrex works pretty well if I catch it before it forms. The OP's diagnosis might not be due to herpes virus, though. Full blown, mine take more than a couple days to heal enough that I can play with any effectiveness. Good luck. Old girlfriends are hell...
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
I also get actual "cold sores" (viral herpes induced) on occasions..... Old girlfriends are hell...

The gift that keeps on giving
Richard M

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Robinson's Remedies Lip Repair is best Reply with quote

Just wanted to chime in to say that Lip Repair also works for fever blisters. If you are prone to cold sores, apply it daily about two to three times and it will help prevent them from occurring. If you feel the tingle coming or already have one, apply it religiously every waking hour without the need for any other treatment including prescriptions. It will dramatically reduce the severity and duration of them.

It also happens to be a great all natural lip cream with arnica so I use it after rehearsals and gigs. It works better than anything with wax or grease.
Angiemac811

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love chopsaver! Works great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: