• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A really good progress report!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: A really good progress report! Reply with quote

The trumpet has been my passion since I was a little boy. Since before my left arm was long enough to baffle the tone of the horn's bell. I started in late 1964. Then began playing some respectable high F's and G's sometime around 1970 to 1971.

My own high notes coinciding with the arrival of the Jazz/Rock trumpet section "Chase". Starring the late Bill Chase.

So on the one hand I've belonged to those fortunate trumpet players who have good command of most the upper register. And I am grateful for this. That said? Until only recently my upper register was still a limited one. Thus I spent much time of the years between 1971 and 2015 trying to figure how the hell I could play into that area between High G and double C without killing myself in effort.

Not only did the notes between G# and double C become hard to blow the mere effort required to blow even just a few of them really sapped my endurance for the day. Not only that but my existing high F's snd G's were no picnic either.

However as of May 2015 I've finally put myself on the best tract. Much of it was physics, I really needed a better mouthpiece. Yet the other part was my practice regimen. I'm not mentioning the "physics of playing high notes" here because my methodology ie embouchure, air support and inderstanding of exactly how I do produce high notes has always been pretty good.

But really the best idea to come to my mind was merely to play the trumpet my regular way but while the valve casing is resting upon the palm of my hand. NOT using the exact Stevens-Costello system. Just my own natural way of blowing. And allow me to tell you that just this change of procedure ie "pressure-LESS" playing has really opened up my register.

Heck ten years ago I could barely squeak a high F with the horn resting on one palm. But today in 2017? I've finally got the double C sounding solidly while the horn is only set on my palm.

No embouchure change at all! Just playing the horn in my most comfortable way possible. And now here at age 62? I'm feeling good with it. Granted I do kinda wish that I could have figured it out earlier. But sometimes it just takes what it takes. Besides with my existing experience I highly doubt that I could have learned this system any sooner.

In a few months I'm going to start fabricating some mouthpieces which ought to be helpful for cats whose chops resemble my own. Good players but not great high note guys. Because I truly believe that many many of us share the same kind of chops as I've got. And while we're not exactly the most predisposed to playing great high notes?

I'm convinced that I've found some real "Equalizers" out there. And I just want to pass on to others what I've found. And after I complete a small land sale? I'm gonna plow the profits into helping fix other trumpet playerz. Largely by developing my own mouthpiece company. I really dont care it it makes much of a profit or not. I just want to help other fellows out there. So that they might,

A. Be spared the many many years it took me to develop into being a decent double C player. And,

B. So that more people can expect to achieve the pure joy of having fewer to no range limitations.

Best to all!
Lionel,
Over & out...

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good plan, Lionel. I will be watching with interest.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: