• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Something Yucky

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Something Yucky Reply with quote

Hi

Something a little yucky happened to me today.

I'm pretty careful with my horn maintenance, oiling before each playing, greasing once a week, and most importantly in my opinion, swabbing out the leadpipe and tuning slide after each playing.

Since I've been swabbing out the leadpipe and tuning slide, I'll be honest, I haven't worried so much about washing out my horns with a snake, since the front end is clean.

My trumpet is a Xeno II and has a longer chimney on the main water key. I've never thought that my trumpet has the most efficient main water key, it tends to take quite a few goes and quite a bit of shaking to get all the water out. Anyway, my trumpet has always been like this, since I bought it as an ex-demo, and it has never bothered me. I did however check when I got it, that the water key hole had been fully drilled or however they are made.

Anyway, I was getting rid of the water whilst chatting to a colleague whilst packing away after my orchestra rehearsal, doing my usual blowing and shaking routine whilst listening, when I saw something a bit horrible on the end of the water key chimney, then a horrible bit of gunge came out.

Not wanting to get the water key cork too wet when washing out my main tuning slide with a snake, I haven't really bothered to ensure that I open the water key and let the water out through it, and obviously (now I think about it) my H W Brass Saver which I use dry as a leadpipe swab doesn't clean out this chimney.

Always cleaning my teeth before playing and considering that my water key has always been like this, I reckon that this gunge has been in this chimney since I've had my trumpet.

It was horrible anyway, and has made me realise that a leadpipe swab doesn't clean this chimney, and that I need to make sure that no further gunge builds up in it.

I'm posting this on here, in case it hasn't occurred either to anyone else who has the Xeno II, that this longer chimney on the main water key, bypasses a leadpipe swab.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeewwwwwww!!

Re: the waterkey cork; I've had mine replaced with rubber years ago. Never worried about water or had any wear since.

That gunk could have been hiding in a valve port somewhere if that's not an area you clean often and broke loose. No biggie. But running the snake through those valve ports that lead to the slides, and through the slides themselves including the tuning slide isn't a bad idea

Ewwwww

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_SKdN1xQBjk
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If getting a water key cork wet was a problem we wouldn't have cork on our water keys.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
If getting a water key cork wet was a problem we wouldn't have cork on our water keys.

Hi LittleRusty

True, but I don't suppose we want it absolutely soaked. Probably I'm too cautious lol. I've never really thought about it. Does cork even absorb water?

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

Hi LittleRusty

True, but I don't suppose we want it absolutely soaked. Probably I'm too cautious lol. I've never really thought about it. Does cork even absorb water?

Take care

Lou

Like in wine bottles? Cork floats right? If WILL break down eventually....but it's designed to stop spit, and it'll handle some cleaning
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't bought new in quite some time. Used horns go to the tech who replaces all those corks and other stupid stuff with whatever material makes sense. They also do the deep cleaning and valve alignment. But if you want quirky stuff coming out of your horn, my friend had a bird head drop out of his 100 year old tuba. He wondered why it always seemed a little stuffy.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
I haven't bought new in quite some time. Used horns go to the tech who replaces all those corks and other stupid stuff with whatever material makes sense. They also do the deep cleaning and valve alignment. But if you want quirky stuff coming out of your horn, my friend had a bird head drop out of his 100 year old tuba. He wondered why it always seemed a little stuffy.

I was in sales for a short time in the 90s. A guy (homeless dude) came in with a Selmer MK VI tenor. Decent shape, good serial number but needed some work.

He processed to play it to "demo" it for us, no matter how many times we told him he didn't need to. He was trying to play, but no air was getting through the horn. His face was turning red blowing so hard, heaving in and out...but no sound.

I took it to the repair guy in house, and he dropped a leak light inside the horn. Then he called me over to have a look inside one of the tone holes.

A dead...decaying rat was looking out, big whiskers and teeth just sitting there. Must have been in there for years. Just nasty. And to think this guy had been trying to play the thing....black plague?? Ewwwww....

Needless to say, we lowered our price offer a bit. But made the deal.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens to all of us. Taken in the pit at the Mercury Theater:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154339823614570&set=a.96703059569.86869.844224569&type=3&theater
"Never, ever, ever look in your trumpet's leadpipe!"

My only suggestions is, don't worry about getting your waterkey cork wet in the future. It's a cork. It'll be fine.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

Hi LittleRusty

Take care

Lou

Hell I actually oil my water key corks!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to derail Lou's thread here, but if want to see "yucky", just pull the tuning slide of the average kid's horn and look down the sewer....er, I mean leadpipe.😱

Brad
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

Hi LittleRusty

Take care

Lou

Like in wine bottles? Cork floats right? If WILL break down eventually....but it's designed to stop spit, and it'll handle some cleaning

Hi Benge.nut

Thanks for confirming this.

Ok I understand regarding the cork, but I presume that they are glued in place rather than just held in. (As you can presumably guess, I've never changed a water key cork myself). If they are glued in place, does too much water effect the glue? Presumably it isn't much of an issue, since water key corks coming off doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
I haven't bought new in quite some time. Used horns go to the tech who replaces all those corks and other stupid stuff with whatever material makes sense. They also do the deep cleaning and valve alignment.

Hi Richard III

Thank you very much.

But if you want quirky stuff coming out of your horn, my friend had a bird head drop out of his 100 year old tuba. He wondered why it always seemed a little stuffy.

Yuk!

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:

I was in sales for a short time in the 90s. A guy (homeless dude) came in with a Selmer MK VI tenor. Decent shape, good serial number but needed some work.

He processed to play it to "demo" it for us, no matter how many times we told him he didn't need to. He was trying to play, but no air was getting through the horn. His face was turning red blowing so hard, heaving in and out...but no sound.

I took it to the repair guy in house, and he dropped a leak light inside the horn. Then he called me over to have a look inside one of the tone holes.

A dead...decaying rat was looking out, big whiskers and teeth just sitting there. Must have been in there for years. Just nasty. And to think this guy had been trying to play the thing....black plague?? Ewwwww....

Needless to say, we lowered our price offer a bit. But made the deal.

Hi again Benge.nut

That really is horrible.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
It happens to all of us. Taken in the pit at the Mercury Theater:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154339823614570&set=a.96703059569.86869.844224569&type=3&theater
"Never, ever, ever look in your trumpet's leadpipe!"

My only suggestions is, don't worry about getting your waterkey cork wet in the future. It's a cork. It'll be fine.

Hi John

Thanks very much.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis78 wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

Hi LittleRusty

Take care

Lou

Hell I actually oil my water key corks!

Hi Dennis78

Really. I suppose it stops them from becoming over dry and cracking/splitting.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Not to derail Lou's thread here, but if want to see "yucky", just pull the tuning slide of the average kid's horn and look down the sewer....er, I mean leadpipe.😱

Brad

Hi Brad

Sadly, I can well imagine.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that the corks are an easy to replace item and they do need it from time to time. Just about every time I put a horn in a shop for service, I get it back with new corks installed. Plus, they're cheap.

I would not worry about needing to protect them from drowning.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Bear in mind that the corks are an easy to replace item and they do need it from time to time. Just about every time I put a horn in a shop for service, I get it back with new corks installed. Plus, they're cheap.

I would not worry about needing to protect them from drowning.

Hi RandyTX

Thanks very much.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou, you might consider running water down the bell quite frequently. You'd be surprised what comes out.

Not too hot on a laquer horn.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
Lou, you might consider running water down the bell quite frequently. You'd be surprised what comes out.

Not too hot on a laquer horn.

Tom

Hi Tom

Thanks very much, but to be honest, I'm not completely convinced. I could however be wrong. Until I started swabbing the lead pipe and tuning slide after every time I've played, I used to give my horns a good clean once a month. Occasionally I've left one for quite a few months, and the only place I've ever really got any dirt out of, is the leadpipe, and that has never been much. I do clean my mouthpiece reasonably regularly, but I have never ever had any dirt in the bore. I can never understand how people can have dirt in the throat of the mouthpiece. I can fully appreciate that they can't be cleaning their mouthpiece, but I've seen some vile mouthpieces, and I just can't understand how they get like it, unless the player eats whilst playing or doesn't keep their teeth clean.

For these reasons, I honestly would be very surprised if anything came out of the bell section. Maybe I'm wrong or being naive. I do pour water down the bell when I give my instruments a full clean, so I'll find out when I next clean them. If I do get dirt out of the bell, I'll go back to regular bathing on top of my lead pipe and tuning side swabbing routine.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: