• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is "church work"?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is "church work"?
legit/classical
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
praise band
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
even mix
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 11

kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: What is "church work"? Reply with quote

I keep reading references pertaining to horns, mouthpieces, etc. with regard to "church work". But what is "church work"?

Obviously for some, it means all sorts of music, but for others it usually means either predominately praise band music or predominately legit-oriented music. I would like to know what type of music (and equipment) we're really talking about here.

For the purpose of this survey, let's assume that most players might, at some time, play another type of music than is usually required, so I'm looking for the majority of your church music playing. Let's say around 80% or so.

Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Church work = any and all music played in or from a Church. Including solo, classical, pop, praise, Latin, folk, rock etc.

The caveat is that "work" implies payment. If I'm getting paid from a church, then it's church work, or a church gig.

If there is no paymanet it is a church function for which I am volunteering my time.

A gig also implies payment for a service provided. If there's no money, it's not a gig, rather just a happening
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The context of the posts I'm referring to don't imply, or specify, payment. The context of the posts I'm referring to have to do with the music. Are they predominantly playing "praise music" or classically-oriented music?

I take it from your post, then, you play a relatively even mix of various styles?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sat May 06, 2017 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
bnsd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking for myself, and I'm no authority... I've played lots of gigs in church. If it is some variation of pop music (including praise) it's not what I call church music.

Church music for me- hymns and legit music played in a church . the music need not be religiously based, but sometimes is like Handel's Messiah.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm doing is relating that term to the equipment. Often posters say, "use X equipment to play church music". I want a better handle on what type of music they are actually playing that makes them choose their equipment.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I went off on a "payment" rant.

Most Church work I do, imside churches is classical oriented. Solo trumpet and organ, sometimes with other instruments and choirs.

Most of what I get is classical, but I do get calls rarely for "praise and gospel" stuff and rarely some more progressive churches are more folk and rock styled (long hair, sandals, lots of guitars and hand drums)

90% or more is classical oriented.

As far as "using X equipment " for Church gigs, I don't know what that could mean. I use my Bb mostly, but sometimes flugel, C and picc but I prefer playing Bb and if stuff is easy enough, I'd rather just transpose and use my Bbs wherever possible.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
What I'm doing is relating that term to the equipment. Often posters say, "use X equipment to play church music". I want a better handle on what type of music they are actually playing that makes them choose their equipment.

I think what you are asking depends on the performance and the church. For example, in a huge church that has a full-time orchestra and large choir with huge organ, the equipment you select will be different from the small church with a choir of 10 and an upright piano.

In the larger scenario, I would likely use what I play in orchestra normally, in the smaller group, I'd pick a trumpet which might require less volume and more in terms of instant response, and which I can play with a great tone at very soft dynamics. For example, a friend plays in a small church a lot, and uses a Yamaha 6310Z horn, as it responds well at softer dynamics, and he can play with a full, focused sound that balances well with the other parts of the musical group. In a larger church, his sound might be lost, even at fortissimo, or he might be so bright that he would stick out of the sound at greater volumes.

The venue can also make a huge difference. The Chapel at the university where I teach is a long, narrow room, and I play horns that project well in there to reach the back of the room. In a small church sanctuary, I might overwhelm everything with that kind of horn and approach. In a small chapel, I might play a lighter horn where the sound is clear, but clarion...fills the room but doesn't overwhelm.

Of course, the musician is still the most important factor to all of this, but having the right horn in your hands to assist in your approach for the venue or the music selection is important.

I sometimes play with a group that uses arrangements which have trumpets in the high register for long periods of time with little rest. In that church, I use a different trumpet with more of a commercial or lead mouthpiece, because the music I am asked to play is closest to that which I play on jazz or commercial gigs.

It's still me playing, but I am using horns that assist me to most readily achieve what I need in the specific church music being performed. The only issue in those situations is when a music director picks music that requires a specific kind of playing, but the sanctuary is such in size or sound that you have additional equipment considerations.

Hope this makes some sense,

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Ed Hernandez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In relation to equipment, For our Praise & Worship band, it all depends on the set for that Sunday. For example, if we're playing let's say... Israel Houghton's "Lord You Are Good"' lead trumpet's last note = high F# over high C. Then I know my lead mp will be the right tool. On the other hand, On the majority of the songs, I do just fine with my all around mp (Yammie Shew Jazz).
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What is "church work"? Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I keep reading references pertaining to horns, mouthpieces, etc. with regard to "church work". But what is "church work"?

Obviously for some, it means all sorts of music, but for others it usually means either predominately praise band music or predominately legit-oriented music.

Different churches, and often different services offered by the same church, will establish a style of music that they use for services. For example, one service might use a small contemporary combo with piano, guitar, bass guitar, obligato instrument and small choir. Another service might lean more toward traditional hymns with a larger choir and an organ. There might be overlap where both services select the same tunes out of their hymn book, but each would perform them with their own style.

There used to be much greater separation of styles, but over the past 20 years or so the contemporary services have been mixing in more traditional music and the traditional services have been using more contemporary tunes. More crossover.

For example, I played an Easter Service at a church where, for the past several years, we've played the Hallelujah Chorus at the end. Very traditional. But at the very same church, same service, this year the MD decided he wanted to try the Quincy Jones funk/soul version ("Hallelujah Chorus - A Soulful Celebration"). Completely different style. The congregation loved it! The choir had a ball singing it, and the trumpet part was a lot of fun.
Piccolo Stomvi
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My playing is with amplified piano, electronic Allen organ, bass guitar, drum, 3 or 4 vocalists - miked, and 2 to 4 other brass players - not amplified. (300 seat acoustically live sanctuary - wonderful for unaccompanied brass.)

We read choir scores with piano accompaniment either doubling the vocals or picking out lines from the piano part - this requires frequent page turns and a lot of one-handed playing. With two run throughs then performance - it's just easier to use a large bore C trumpet.

I use a mouthpiece with a large ID, M style cup, and Purviance backbore to get a very clear sound that cuts through the amplified music and provides sufficient player feedback. This setup also works well with just organ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: