• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

More Top Lip in Cup???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas T

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: More Top Lip in Cup??? Reply with quote

More top lip in cup?

Comebacker 1 1/2 yrs in after 16 off & I swear, this is the fourth embouchure change since I started playing again. But...I think I may have found the right setup. I started fooling around mp buzzing in the car by putting more top lip in the cup & I've gained about 1/2 an octave on both ends of my range on the horn...more resonance, too. I've been working with this for about a week & I've got to practice more to lock in the notes on the upper end, but I think I may have FINALLY found my answer after the last 1 1/2 yrs of relearning this bastard of an instrument. Anyone else do this? More upper lip in the cup?
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're talking about initial placement? Sticking the metal a little higher on your face? Sure, go with that based on your results so far. Do make note of where the rim hits on the high side so you can place consistently! Pencil it in on your calendar so you'll know when you've been doing it for 2 weeks. If all is good, stick with it. If not? Muck about a bit again, seeking someplace stable and comfortable, mpc relative to teeth.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with raze....sounds like you just raised your mouthpiece placement a bit.

Lots of guys play w 2/3 top lip and 1/3 bottom. Some even rest the rim on the fleshy red part of the bottom lip.

In my younger years I played that way, but since went the opposite direction w 2/3 bottom lip 1/3 top and I became sort of an upstream player. I think I shifted as my teeth shifted over the years. I've got a very pronounced overbite, and I kick out my bottom jaw sometimes.

But my chops are always changing and adjusting and I am always experimenting. I learn what works and doesn't work all the time.

Since I've become a wet set up player, these changes aren't as big of a deal. When I was dry, my chops were pinned in pace there was not much shift or movement at all
Thomas T

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback and yes, I'm talking about placement of the mp on my top lip. I figure I'll give this a go for a while, as I have nothing to lose and it is working for me. I'm just kind of taken back by the help with range, both up and down, that has come almost instantly. Maybe I've just had it on my face the wrong way for the last 1 1/2yrs or so. Really hoping this is a breakthrough.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're describing sounds like a pretty significant breakthrough to me, congrats!

As you command a larger range, there are certain movements (and certain lack of movements) that will help you play consistently. This is where a good teacher can really help a lot, whereas most won't be able to help you find the sweet spot for your initial placement.

Do realise that a properly functioning and developed embouchure will produce a good high G, so don't get the big head, lol. Claim your new found range, and master it. What you're looking for from here on out is subtle refinement, rather than drastic changes.
Dbfinn

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look to the video posted by Wilktone in this post:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1500817#1500817

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHq7vCihaXg&index=2&list=PL128482779D096EE6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: