• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha YFH-2310 Flugelhorn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatOneSlime

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Yamaha YFH-2310 Flugelhorn Reply with quote

Is this a good horn? I have a chance to buy one before I go to college for a very good price, is it worth the money? Is it still playable and comparable to a pro horn without the slide triggers?
trompette229
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha YFH-2310 Flugelhorn Reply with quote

ThatOneSlime wrote:
Is this a good horn? I have a chance to buy one before I go to college for a very good price, is it worth the money? Is it still playable and comparable to a pro horn without the slide triggers?

What price are you paying for this horn? They can sometimes be found used in the $400-600 range and are hard to beat for the price. I know more than a few pros who actually prefer this horn over the pro models. It's a shame it doesn't have a third slide trigger but they are quality horns for the price.
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you get your panties all in a wad... play the horn with a tuner and you will probably see that those low D's are perfectly fine without one.

I have a Yamaha 731, and it doesn't have a trigger. Plays low D's right on the money. Plus.. with the funnel and huge bell you can lip those low notes anywhere you want them.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha YFH-2310 Flugelhorn Reply with quote

ThatOneSlime wrote:

trompette229 wrote:
What price are you paying for this horn? They can sometimes be found used in the $400-600 range and are hard to beat for the price. I know more than a few pros who actually prefer this horn over the pro models. It's a shame it doesn't have a third slide trigger but they are quality horns for the price.

With horizontal rather than vertical valve slides, it's got a ring on the third slide. It doesn't need a trigger to adjust pitch.

You probably don't have triggers on your Bach Strad/Yamaha Xeno or whatever your trumpet is. The trigger on most flugels due to the slides being vertical, you can't just put a ring on it. Besides, as was mentioned above, there's a decent chance on a flugel, you won't even need anything. I really don't on my 731.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
ThatOneSlime

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it one you would recommend buying as a music major for college?
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatOneSlime wrote:
Is it one you would recommend buying as a music major for college?

Any decent flugel - and this certainly is a decent one - is fine for a music major in college.

When I was in college, only 2 people owned piccolos, 2 people owned C trumpets, and one (me) owned an Eb. No one owned a flugel. The college owned several C's, a pair of piccolos, and a flugel.

Guess times have changed.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jiarby wrote:
Before you get your panties all in a wad... play the horn with a tuner and you will probably see that those low D's are perfectly fine without one.

I have a Yamaha 731, and it doesn't have a trigger. Plays low D's right on the money. Plus.. with the funnel and huge bell you can lip those low notes anywhere you want them.

If the low D is in tune then the Eb or C# will not be. But lipping up or down can suffice for some. There is a Buescher aficionado on here who is a big advocate of lipping over slides.

But if it has slides, then I don't see a problem. If you think about it a trigger requires you to pull to extend the slide, but your Bb will probably need you to push. So there might be an adjustment for you if you have triggers.
trompette229
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha YFH-2310 Flugelhorn Reply with quote

[quote="Crazy Finn"][
With horizontal rather than vertical valve slides, it's got a ring on the third slide. It doesn't need a trigger to adjust pitch.

The 2310 doesn't have a ring for third valve adjustment. A tech could add one at some expense but they have no adjustment
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for a Flugel to get you by as a doubler throughout college, what about looking at an ACB Doubler from Austin Brass?
A new horn that has been tweeked by Trent with an adjusted leadpipe.

Then you have a new instrument, with a 3rd valve trigger. All less than $600

What really are you using the Flugel for? A few lines in Jazz Band, maybe a solo or combo situation? But in reality probably for a low percentage of time in comparison to your trumpet...

IMO though I haven't compared the 2 side by side, but remembering how the 2 play, you'll be happier with a Doubler than with a student model Yamaha.

Have you communicated with the studio Prof at your college? He/She may have an opinion on the subject!
Retired Air Force Bandsman
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This student flugel is a surprisingly good player and sounds pretty good too. But it doesn't have the depth of sound of the pro models. I wouldn't recommend it for a serious player if it was possible to score a pro model.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a lot of trumpets and cornets, but only one flugel. The 2310S works just fine for me, but then again, I don't play any classical repertoire, just need a doubler for a bunch of stuff.

Mine works great for the times when I have to cover the tenor sax part, so we get a decent blend harmonically.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a doubler the Thomann FH 600 is more than adequate. I gigged the GS model (silver plated) for about 5 years before upgrading. The lacquered model is €219 and the silver is €325. The dollar does really well against the euro right now, I'd definitely consider one. I know a good few orchestral players who play these....they aren't perfect but they are plenty good!

One word of advice. Take the mouthpiece that comes with it and bury it in a really deep hole. That thing is designed to injure!!!

Best,
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: