• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry 3C (dot)...throat and backbore

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtrompete

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Curry 3C (dot)...throat and backbore Reply with quote

Confirmed:
as curiosity bought one...really good cup and rim.
Sound...have better...

Anyone found or knows a success custom combination that turns this one in better piece (backbore and throat for this one)?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by mtrompete on Wed May 17, 2017 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
mtrompete

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: REEVES 3C (dot)...throat and backbore Reply with quote

mtrompete wrote:
Confirmed:
Sound...have better...

Anyone found or knows a success custom combination that turns this one in better piece (backbore and throat for this one)?
Thanks in advance
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware of Bob Reeves having a mouthpiece called a 3C. (dot).

As far as I know, a 3C. mouthpiece model is only made by Mark Curry.

Is it possible you have a Reeves rim on a Curry 3C. underpart?

MFG,

John
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same thing about the 'dot' reference.
mtrompete

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

SOORRYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!
Made this about 2 in the morning, and the mistake is there.

Not Reeves...Curry 3C.
so,
will correct the title, and here again:
Sound...have better...

Thanks in advance

John Mohan wrote:
I wasn't aware of Bob Reeves having a mouthpiece called a 3C. (dot).

As far as I know, a 3C. mouthpiece model is only made by Mark Curry.

Is it possible you have a Reeves rim on a Curry 3C. underpart?

MFG,

John
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He recommended a 26 throat to me for Bb trumpet. ... He was right. Made things more in tune above the staff for me.

I hope this helps.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:
He recommended a 26 throat to me for Bb trumpet. ... He was right. Made things more in tune above the staff for me.

I hope this helps.

Yes, as Justin said, you might like it better with a bigger throat. One of the mouthpieces I play on is a copy of Arturo Sandoval's Mt Vernon 3C, and the Curry 3C. is a very similar mouthpiece. But the Sandoval one has a #24 throat (which I like on it).

Cheers,

John

Last edited by John Mohan on Fri May 19, 2017 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
jadickson wrote:

I hope this helps.

Yes, as Justin said, you might like it better with a bigger throat. One of the mouthpieces I play on is a copy of Arturo Sandoval's Mt Vernon 3C, and the Curry 3C. is a very similar mouthpiece. But the Sandoval one has a $24 throat (which I like on it).

Cheers,

John

$24 is kind of expensive for just a throat.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the configuration of throat size depends a lot upon the horn that you are intended to use it with most of the time. If you have more than one trumpet (likely, especially for members of this forum ) you might experiment around between them to see if the stock 3C. does what you like on any of them. That might give some clues as to which way you want to go to balance out the mouthpiece with your primary trumpet.

I have a Bach 37 that I use most of the time for 'legit' playing, and a XO Brass (Jupiter) 1600i Ingram model horn that I use for pops/big band stuff. The mouthpieces in the cases for each are very similar in rim design, but the internals are different, mostly for the above reasons.

Another thing worthy of consideration is the blank style. I was surprised at how much difference there is in playing feel between the stock Curry blank and the same mouthpiece internals with the 'Bach' style blank instead. See also the Blackjack blank and a few others Mark offers.
MacMichael
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only say that the 3C. Mark made for me with a #24 throat is way better for me than the standard 3. (which is fine too).
With my Carol Brass 8060 GLS balanced model the #24 yields a far more open feeling. And it is better in tune.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacMichael wrote:
I can only say that the 3C. Mark made for me with a #24 throat is way better for me than the standard 3. (which is fine too).
With my Carol Brass 8060 GLS balanced model the #24 yields a far more open feeling. And it is better in tune.

I have one with a 24 throat and #24 'symphonic' style backbore which I used for quite a while on my C trumpet. I've never tried one of his 3C's just opened up to a 24 throat with no other changes.

I've since gone to a so-called "Reese Piece" for that, as well as a lot of my Bb playing, which is also made by Mark Curry, but sold elsewhere.
mtrompete

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
I think the configuration of throat size depends a lot upon the horn that you are intended to use it with most of the time. If you have more than one trumpet (likely, especially for members of this forum ) you might experiment around between them to see if the stock 3C. does what you like on any of them. That might give some clues as to which way you want to go to balance out the mouthpiece with your primary trumpet.

I have a Bach 37 that I use most of the time for 'legit' playing, and a XO Brass (Jupiter) 1600i Ingram model horn that I use for pops/big band stuff. The mouthpieces in the cases for each are very similar in rim design, but the internals are different, mostly for the above reasons.

Another thing worthy of consideration is the blank style. I was surprised at how much difference there is in playing feel between the stock Curry blank and the same mouthpiece internals with the 'Bach' style blank instead. See also the Blackjack blank and a few others Mark offers.

answering to your question, at these days 60% of the time i play in Bb (from 37, Conn 2B, Bach 25, getzen severiensen, selmer B75, etc...depending of tipe of work).
As we all do, i like to experiment several "shoes".
This is a amazing piece, very confortable rim a balanced cup...good! but tried better sound in another pieces (maybe not confortable, etc).

The piece is here...so, just wondering if there was some successfull formula that had improved this one, already not bad!

thanks!
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 3C. that mouthpiece express cut to a Warburton 2-piece design.. and on the Curry 10 (standard) backbore is noticeably more open/free than the standard Curry 3C. one piece. Plus, you can get a multitude of backbores (Curry, Bach, Warburton, etc).. I have a Bach standard on order for comparison.

Interestingly, I find I don't always like the tone of my stock Curry 3C. in the practice room (or my basement) but in the hall, ensemble, rehearsal space, gig site I've always liked the sound.
Retired Air Force Bandsman

Last edited by zaferis on Wed May 17, 2017 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a series of Curry-made Flip Oakes mouthpieces. Flip's original WT Bb trumpet mouthpiece has a back bore Mark picked out. I don't know if this is his standard back bore, but I never liked the sound it produced. Neither did Flip, so he worked with Mark and produced four models that all use Mark's #117 back bore. They produce a very nice, full, brilliant sound no matter the depth of cup. My current favorite is my 5-O, which has a #26 throat bore.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re the curry made flip oakes mouthpieces.
i currently play a 3C-O mouthpiece and was previously playing a 7-O. flip's pieces play with good sound and less effort than the excellent curry 3C and 7C which i also own.
flip's mouthpieces are ready out of the box and with open backbores do not seem to need throat adjustment. the C-O has a #27 drill and the O a #26 and should be left that way. the FO 3 size is slightly larger in diameter than the curry 3.
already having some large talent for brass instrument design it's a close call whether his mouthpieces are even better. this doesn't have to be on my say so. we should have a professional player A/B a curry C piece against an oakes O or C-O. for the curious both are great players with the C-O being his newest design.
mtrompete

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,
Will try to go for small changes...26 throat and check the result...

Anyway, to get a top only will be a good alternative also: mantain the best of the mouthpiece (rim and cup balance...) and play with backbore size tests (J new, warburton, bach, etc...)...
anyway, any idea, please send it here!

Thanks
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Curry 5B it should have the sound you are looking for. If you did not like the rim (size is approx the same of 3 but rim is very different) you can ask Mark Curry to make a custom 5B with 3 rim. 5B comes with #26 throat as standard.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
jadickson wrote:

I hope this helps.

Yes, as Justin said, you might like it better with a bigger throat. One of the mouthpieces I play on is a copy of Arturo Sandoval's Mt Vernon 3C, and the Curry 3C. is a very similar mouthpiece. But the Sandoval one has a $24 throat (which I like on it).

Cheers,

John

$24 is kind of expensive for just a throat.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I don't blame you! Dang keys are just too close together. I need to practice some keyboard Technical Studies...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: