• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pelican Case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
northern

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Pelican Case Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am in search of a new triple trumpet case, however, I find the price on the more sturdy triple+ brand name cases to be a little bit ridiculous for what they actually are. This has me considering the more DIY approach using a Pelican Case.
Those of you that have done this, how do you like it? What size of case could comfortably fit 3 horns(ex: Bb, C, Cornet)? Do you have any pics available that I might be able to look at?
Any words of wisdom on this subject would be much appreciated.
Zenith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey northern,

I have just written a review on my new flight-case style double trumpet case.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=145083

I think they have suitable size for a triple too. I measured my trumpets and found Pelican to be too short for them with only 6mm foam left on each end. Not enough to put my mind at ease.
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pelican Case Reply with quote

northern wrote:
Hi all,
I am in search of a new triple trumpet case, however, I find the price on the more sturdy triple+ brand name cases to be a little bit ridiculous.

This is just my opinion ...... and of course you are 100% entitled to your own ..... but I paid a little over $400 for my Wiseman about 12 years ago. I believe now the same case would cost something comparable to a Torpedo Coyote. When full that case can hold upwards of probably $7000-8000 worth of equipment (even with just a Bb and Flugel we're talking $3000-5000). Again, this is just my opinion, but I don't consider $500-900 to be outrageous for a case that is of the absolute highest quality available to protect $3000-8000 worth of equipment. I personally would not trust my stuff to inferior quality cases (for not too much less $) or to something generic I had to "fit" my stuff to myself.
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Pelican Case Reply with quote

lgt0412 wrote:
northern wrote:
Hi all,
I am in search of a new triple trumpet case, however, I find the price on the more sturdy triple+ brand name cases to be a little bit ridiculous.

This is just my opinion ...... and of course you are 100% entitled to your own ..... but I paid a little over $400 for my Wiseman about 12 years ago. I believe now the same case would cost something comparable to a Torpedo Coyote. When full that case can hold upwards of probably $7000-8000 worth of equipment (even with just a Bb and Flugel we're talking $3000-5000). Again, this is just my opinion, but I don't consider $500-900 to be outrageous for a case that is of the absolute highest quality available to protect $3000-8000 worth of equipment. I personally would not trust my stuff to inferior quality cases (for not too much less $) or to something generic I had to "fit" my stuff to myself.

I completely agree. I have a Wiseman case, I have two Torpedo 2.5. I carry around a Bach Bb with an MB2 pipe and MK slide (making replacement in the $4-5K price as it is a large bore 72 bell). I carry a Bach C trumpet (229 with MC2 leadpipe and tuning slide), again a $3-4K plus replacement value (if you could find an MC2 and matching slide). I carry my Kanstul made Burbank long piccolo, and Monette mouthpieces for all of the horns (about $1K in mouthpieces). I need a case that will protect those horns or others I may carry, and frankly a $200 case does not make me feel secure in caring those horns and mouthpieces. I trust Torpedo Bags 2.5 to protect these instruments.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
houdini1313
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torpedobags are fantastic, I also have a battle case brand pelican case which I highly recommend. I have the flugel and tpt combo but he offers others as well.
Stomvi Piccolo

Hammond, Patrick, and Reeves Mouthpieces
superviking805
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind designing your case try My Case Builder. I use My Case Builder for my astronomy gear and get complements whenever I take it to star party's.

https://www.mycasebuilder.com/
transalpian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

houdini1313 wrote:
Torpedobags are fantastic, I also have a battle case brand pelican case which I highly recommend. I have the flugel and tpt combo but he offers others as well.

What are your thoughts on the Battle Case? I can't find too much about them on the web, but they look interesting. What is the lining/padding made of?

Do you have photos of yours?

Thanks!
shermantrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider a Stomvi quad case. I know the OP is looking for a triple, but this is not much bigger and is very protective. I enjoy having the extra space to carry mutes even when I have three horns. I even often use it with two horns instead of my double, and it's not a lot heavier (it is some). Nice backpack straps.

I would have loved a 2.5 torpedo, but needed to spend less and it's served me well.

I'm sure a number of places carry them, but I got mine from Josh Whitehouse at Milano Music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: