• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Double Trumpet Case Options

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Double Trumpet Case Options Reply with quote

Is it just me, or are the choices these days for a double trumpet case pretty limited?

I've been doing a fair amount of gigging lately where I'd like to have a different double trumpet case. I have a Guard band issued Yamaha double case, and it works ok, but it's a bit limited because there's no specific place for anything else in the case - it has two horn and two mouthpiece slots, and that's it.

Years ago I had a PrTec Pro Pac double trumpet case that I gave to a friend - I kind of owed him anyway, so when he picked up a horn but said he needed a case for it, it was an extra that I had, so I sent it to him. I liked that case too, but it seems that everyone wants to make everything modular now. That case was set up as a 2 trumpet case, and didn't have all of the removable/adjustable Velcro foam blocks, and that's part of the reason I actually don't like the design of the current iPac double case that ProTec offers.

So what else is out there? I liked the ProTec cases - they were sturdy and well made, but I wish they still offered the older Pro Pac double case model, although I may wind up getting the new model if nothing else presents itself that I like better.

I don't need anything too fancy - what I'm looking for is a case that has:

2 slots for trumpets
places for 2 or more mouthpieces
side pocket for accessories
semi-soft - I definitely want some rigidity to the sides
shoulder strap - not absolutely necessary, but I do prefer cases with shoulder straps these days

Is there something that fits that criteria these days that isn't modular?
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few options:

http://austincustombrass.mybigcommerce.com/jp-pro-deluxe-double-trumpet-fiberglass-case-in-black/

http://austincustombrass.mybigcommerce.com/new-acb-peruvian-nylon-double-fiberglass-trumpet-case/

https://www.hornguys.com/collections/trumpet-cases/products/marcus-bonna-2-trumpet-case

https://www.hornguys.com/collections/trumpet-cases/products/bags-of-spain-2-trumpet-piccolo-case

Another option is some people have been selling the double case that comes with the Gen II Yamaha Xeno horns. Those cases look nice, and I'm actually tempted to grab one of those myself, even thought I don't have Yamaha horns... like the listing below...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TrumpetsForSale/permalink/775271482637694/?sale_post_id=775271482637694
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do that Yamaha case, but the others don't really hit the mark for what I'm looking for.

I may have to wind up taking the chance on the ProTec iPac case. Who knows, I might wind up liking it.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have the Yamaha backpack case, and although I like it well enough, I don't like the fact that the front pocket is curved and not the full height of the case.

i.e.

https://www.yamahamusiclondon.com/YTR-8335-Mk-II-Custom-Xeno-Bb-Trumpet-In-Various-Editions/pidBYTR833502-SUPER

(see the case pictures)

This really limits what music you can hold. I can't for example put a slim cardboard foolscap folder of music in this pocket, owing to the pocket only being tall enough in the middle, resulting in the corners of the foolscap folder sticking out each side where the top of the pocket curves round, and preventing the zip from closing. Also, although the pocket is expandable when unzipped, which makes it more accessible, the pocket is not expandable when zipped up, so cannot hold anything with much width, and there are no smaller internal pockets/pencil holders etc.

There is no mute storage.

I much prefer my sadly discontinued single case:

LINK

The pocket on this case is large enough to carry a couple of cardboard foolscap folders, a metal fold up music stand, in the bell trumpet stand, straight, cup, harmon, bucket and plunger mutes, and a bottle of water, owing to it being rectangular and expandable.

A double case (which will also accommodate a short model cornet in one of the slots) with this type of pocket, would be my ideal.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:

I much prefer my sadly discontinued single case:

LINK

The pocket on this case is large enough to carry a couple of cardboard foolscap folders, a metal fold up music stand, in the bell trumpet stand, straight, cup, harmon, bucket and plunger mutes, and a bottle of water, owing to it being rectangular and expandable.

Lou

I second that. As far as single cases go, it doesn't get much better bang for your buck than the Protec Xtreme. Mine's literally falling apart, but it's just so perfectly functional I'll keep using it until it completely gives up the ghost. The interior foam is great, backpack straps are good, expandable pocket that fits a ton, sturdy zipper... I would really go for a double version of this. Exactly the same, just a deeper body to fit two horns. My current double case's pocket is too small to fit anything but the basics and barely fits my tablet, so forget carrying actual sheet music in it.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at a Torpedo Coyote. I love mine, and horns are as safe as can be in the case. Dropped mine several times, and yet no damage ever. Expensive, but worth it to protect expensive horns.

Drop me a note if I can offer more...

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
Take a look at a Torpedo Coyote. I love mine, and horns are as safe as can be in the case. Dropped mine several times, and yet no damage ever. Expensive, but worth it to protect expensive horns.

I agree with this, technically it's a 2.5 case, as you can fit two full size trumpets and a picc in there. I've even heard that some people manage to get three in there somehow, but I haven't tried to do that myself. Given that there has reportedly been a change to the way the pads work in more recent versions of the Coyote, I'm not sure if that makes it easier or more difficult to reconfigure.

I occasionally think it would be nice to have a slightly smaller version of the same case (a true 2.0) but most of the time it wouldn't be worth moving things around just for that purpose between two cases.

I pretty much always use mine set up for a C, Bb and picc, and never alter the internal pad configuration, even if I'm not carrying all three horns. You can use the other space when one horn is missing for things like large mouthpiece pouches, portable stand lights, small mutes and a variety of other things of course.

I also use the external mute bag most of the time with mine. Fair warning though, it's the one part of the case that isn't super-protective like the main case body itself. If you get the mute bag caught going through a doorway or something, you can ding a mute or knock a cork off without realizing it until later.

Apart from that one thing, the Coyote is the most bulletproof and handy case I've ever owned. I too have put it to the test by accident, when I slipped and fell in the rain and launched it across a parking lot. I was wounded slightly, but none of the horns inside the case suffered any damage at all from the fall.
pc2001197
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I have had the MB double case for 11 years now and traveled with it internationally. It still works like it is brand new other than losing those leather pull knobs on the zippers, although I think they have changed that design since. Definitely durable and worth the money because they still worth a whole lot on resale.

Cheers,
Vic
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
dr_trumpet wrote:

I agree with this, technically it's a 2.5 case, as you can fit two full size trumpets and a picc in there. I've even heard that some people manage to get three in there somehow, but I haven't tried to do that myself. Given that there has reportedly been a change to the way the pads work in more recent versions of the Coyote, I'm not sure if that makes it easier or more difficult to reconfigure.

I occasionally think it would be nice to have a slightly smaller version of the same case (a true 2.0) but most of the time it wouldn't be worth moving things around just for that purpose between two cases.

I pretty much always use mine set up for a C, Bb and picc, and never alter the internal pad configuration, even if I'm not carrying all three horns. You can use the other space when one horn is missing for things like large mouthpiece pouches, portable stand lights, small mutes and a variety of other things of course.

I also use the external mute bag most of the time with mine. Fair warning though, it's the one part of the case that isn't super-protective like the main case body itself. If you get the mute bag caught going through a doorway or something, you can ding a mute or knock a cork off without realizing it until later.

Apart from that one thing, the Coyote is the most bulletproof and handy case I've ever owned. I too have put it to the test by accident, when I slipped and fell in the rain and launched it across a parking lot. I was wounded slightly, but none of the horns inside the case suffered any damage at all from the fall.

Agree on absolutely everything you wrote. One thing I might add is that very few double cases have room for mutes. I have the following cases in addition to the Torpedo Coyote 2.5, and none of these have room for mutes with two trumpets in the case:

Bach double hard case (no mute space)
Yamaha double (I have three in slightly differing designs, and none have mute room)
Older Wolfpak double (two of varying ages, external bag that attaches, very similar to Torpedo)
Reunion Blues double (older square one, no space for mutes with two trumpets)
Marcus Bonna double (no space for mutes)
Bags of Spain Rolling 2.5 (room for one mute stuck into the bell of each instrument, but I hate that arrangement and would not put the mute into a case that way)
Monette Double (room in an outside pouch for a mute or two, but no solid protection).

AL
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:

AL

Wow - that looks pretty solid. I'm not sure why I hadn't really looked at it before, although it is somewhat costly - maybe that's why? Dunno - I'll have to give it a better look. Interestingly, with as many pics as they have on the website, none are particularly good at showing that case for what it is.
- ACB Doubler

snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:

Agree on absolutely everything you wrote. One thing I might add is that very few double cases have room for mutes. I have the following cases in addition to the Torpedo Coyote 2.5, and none of these have room for mutes with two trumpets in the case:

Might also be worth mentioning that being able to store the mutes inside vs. an outside pouch/pocket is a personal preference. While I didn't really care for my Wolfpak 2.5 overall (not great protection), I did like the fact that the mute pouch could clip on and off. If I'm carrying it to and from practicing or a church gig, I don't always want or need my mute bag, so it's nice to leave it at home. I think the Coyote is the same way with the mute bag attaching to the top. I personally prefer that approach. It helps keep the size of the case itself small. Plus, there's always the option of using a carabiner or two to clip on your mute bag, even if it doesn't come made with one...
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
A few options:

http://austincustombrass.mybigcommerce.com/jp-pro-deluxe-double-trumpet-fiberglass-case-in-black/

Hi snichols

Regarding your suggestion above, I've just ordered one of these.

i.e. From a thread I started:

Louise Finch wrote:
Hi

After telephoning John Packer Ltd in the UK, and discussing this with them, I have ordered the following case:

http://www.jpmusicalinstruments.com/JP-Pro-Double-Trumpet-Case.html

As the above link shows, this case is actually the supplied case with the JP371SW Bb Cornet.

Additionally, see the middle paragraph under the cornet picture on the following link:

http://www.jpmusicalinstruments.com/xcms_entry.php?xcmsentryid=39

Anyway, John Packer Ltd kindly tried a Yamaha Neo cornet (the gentleman I spoke to also plays a Xeno cornet, and agreed that the wraps of the Xeno and Neo cornets are very similar) and Yamaha Xeno II trumpet in this case, and they comfortably fit with no pressure on the cornet bell.

I therefore decided to order one.

All the best

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
I have the Yamaha backpack case,

Louise, can you tell me what this case costs? Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
I have the Yamaha backpack case,

Louise, can you tell me what this case costs? Thanks.

Hi kehaulani

Mine was supplied with my Yamaha Xeno II trumpet. I'm very sorry, but I don't know whether it is available to purchase separately, or for how much. All I can suggest, is asking a Yamaha dealer if they can be bought separately and for what price.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Louise.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Thanks, Louise.

You are very welcome. I'm very sorry that I cannot be more helpful.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
dr_trumpet wrote:

AL

Wow - that looks pretty solid. I'm not sure why I hadn't really looked at it before, although it is somewhat costly - maybe that's why? Dunno - I'll have to give it a better look. Interestingly, with as many pics as they have on the website, none are particularly good at showing that case for what it is.

Yeah, that's the weak spot in the torpedo bags marketing. Their website is not exactly good at showing off (or explaining the many options in) their product line. They're starting to show up all over around where I live lately though. It's rare to show up at a rehearsal or gig anywhere and not see at least one other trumpet player carrying one of their products.

It's especially true given all the naming of products, that often convey nothing about their purpose. For example, I couldn't tell you right now what the names of all the variants for the single cases are without looking them up. They could really use some simple photographs showing the cases with/without attachment options applied, as well as internal configuration pictures with various types of instruments inside them. There are a few of those up there now, but more photos and videos would be welcome.

As far as the pricing goes, I used to think I had 'splurged a bit' when I bought one, then I had an accident, and thought about what the cost of the instruments I had inside added up to, and what the repair bill would have been if I had been carrying a gig bag instead. In short, it paid for itself in a matter of seconds on that day.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My horn was in an all-leather Reunion Blues triple bag when I got into this wreck on the way to a Latin band gig on Halloween, 1998. My horn, folder and music stand were in the hatchback of my Honda Civic. For the record, the accident wasn't my fault - a guy pulled in front of me at a T-junction and I T-boned him going close to 50 mph. Luckily, we both walked away from the collision with nothing more than some aches, and although I missed the 1st set, I made sets 2 & 3.

I had to bend the post of my Manhasset music stand back a point of being straight enough to work, but my trumpet came through completely unscathed.

- ACB Doubler

dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
dr_trumpet wrote:

AL

There are some links on the left-hand side of most pages that go to some very informative videos.

Steve has spent a substantial amount of time and money in the development of the new single case, and that too has seemingly taken time from the website. There are many cases and variations available, but figuring it all out does take time and effort. And, if you ever need three or four horns, there are no options for three full-sized horns or four horns without multiple cases.

They do place a premium on American-made, and I appreciate that as well. I like the idea of a company seeking all their source materials that are a domestic product, and that to me is worth a premium of price for superb product.

AL
ShadyTree

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd highly recommend taking a look at Messina Covers. The bags are handmade in Louisville, KY and are absolutely fantastic. I have several friends who use their 2.5 bags, and I currently own one of their singles. I bought my bag from them for less than the price of the Protecs we stock at the store I work at. Great construction, light, protective, and they can even customize a bag to your own design. I'll link their website and their Facebook page so you can see some of their stuff. Dave is a great guy to work with!

http://www.messinacovers.net/trumpet/

https://www.facebook.com/Messina-Covers-239841506050937/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: