• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Fundamental Teacher in NYC Area

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bendavis1975

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Best Fundamental Teacher in NYC Area Reply with quote

I am arranging a trip to the New York area, which would also include the Philadelphia area. Can someone suggest names of who they feel are the best fundamental teachers in this area please. I'm not a jazz player and I am a come back player who has been back on the horn for about four years. Doing well but need honest solid construction.
Matt Graves
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be glad to help. When are you visiting New York? Please feel free to contact me via email.
Claude Gordon Certified Teacher
BAC Custom Dream Trumpet
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Fundamental Teacher in NYC Area Reply with quote

bendavis1975 wrote:
I am arranging a trip to the New York area, which would also include the Philadelphia area. Can someone suggest names of who they feel are the best fundamental teachers in this area please. I'm not a jazz player and I am a come back player who has been back on the horn for about four years. Doing well but need honest solid construction.

Are there any players you really like to hear in NYC? I'd start with those guys. There are no more "guru" like teachers out there really.

Maybe any of the professors at Juilliard or Manahttan School of a Music, or Purchase College, or NYU, or New School etc? Or any players that are in any of the major orchestras, shows, or big bands you like?

I've taken one time, or couple visit studio lessons from dozens and dozens of guys over the years. Whatever city I was traveling to, I'd always try to meet with one guy. And each lesson I've always learned SOMETHING. Maybe not a magic bullet, or maybe just something about the business and industry, but always something. And a lot of those turned into friendships and referrals for gigs!!

In NYC you can always get rehearsal space somewhere if you need to meet. Michiko's or Josh Landress now has affordable lesson studio space.

The old school legend guru chop docs are all gone, besides Jerry Callet down on Staten Island. You might do best picking the brains (and ears) of some players and college profs
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard Trent Austin mention Caruso studies recently in an interview. He described them as calisthenics for the chops. I did some research and discovered Julie Landsman on youtube. She was the principal horn player at the Met for 25 years and studied with Caruso. She might be an option for you.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have a hard time finding a better person than Peter Bond. He posts here from time to time, and you'll find many of his past posts explaining parts of his approach here if you search.
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Fundamental Teacher in NYC Area Reply with quote

bendavis1975 wrote:

Penzarella
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: