• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Brass band camps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Brass band camps Reply with quote

International Music Camp in North Dakota, 10834 Peace Garden Drive, Dunseith, ND 58329

http://internationalmusiccamp.com/

I am looking for some feedback from those that have attended any of the music workshops at the International Music Camp in North Dakota.

Their Brass Band camp appears to be the official summer camp for the North American Brass Band Association, Inc.

So I would love to hear from anybody who has attended the Brass Band workshop.

I have the same questions for the North American brass band summer school in Nova Scotia, Canada.
http://www.nabbss.com/about.html

Thanks much,
Cheers,
Harry
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: North American Brass Band Summer School Reply with quote

I went to the 2016 session. NABBSS is connected to the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo.

To start, there is a lot of playing, normally starting at 0900. The main schedule is on the website. We were part of the Tattoo cast for eight shows. The show is tightly choreographed and fast moving. The Band also played, IIRC, four public concerts. Don't be surprised if a new piece is passed out at 0900, read twice, and played at a concert after lunch!

We were housed in a Dalhousie University dormitory. Breakfast was in the dining hall close by. Lunch and dinner were either in the dining hall or you could go to a local restaurant and pay with the meal vouchers provided.

Rehearsals were in a church around the corner from the dorm. ScotiaBank Center, venue for the Tattoo, was a fifteen minute walk.

It was my first Brass Band experience and I had a great time.
Arbanator
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played cornet and tuba at NABBSS in 2015. The 2016 experience sounds similar. Perhaps the best feature of it is the opportunity to play with a number of great players, as the director, Bob Childs, brings over perhaps 10 players from the Cory Band and supplements them with some terrific players from the top British-style brass bands in the U.S., such as Fountain City and Atlantic.

The format in 2015 was essentially that of a double brass band, and you get to sit next to and play with true virtuosos. For someone of modest accomplishments, this is a bit of a thrill. Pieces aren't practiced much because there are those in each section who know exactly what they are doing and never get lost. That notwithstanding, it's not awkward for those of us less accomplished to play with them, so long as you follow Bob Child's advice: "Loud and correct is good; soft and wrong is o.k.; loud and wrong is a no-no."

It's not really a "school" at all, as there's not actually much instruction, though the faculty is happy to give advice and pointers if you ask and it's good to get to know them. Most of the players who come as "students" are already accomplished players. In 2015, they included one of Brian Bowman's star euphonium students, an amateur who happened to have a performance degree from Juillard, a member of one of the Canadian armed forces bands, and key players in top U.S. bands.

A key purpose is to provide musical support for the Tattoo, which is a large and popular production, well worth seeing, attracting an audience of thousands every night. Thus, in a supporting role, the band plays for lots of paying people, and it surely reduces the cost of the week, but it is also a bit of a pain and involves walking around and sitting in the dark. Between that and reading music for and performing the concerts, there's not a heck of a lot of time for other things.

It is not a very good choice for someone with physical challenges - e.g., trouble walking, lack of stamina, balance issues - because of the nature of the Tattoo performances (stairs in the dark with your instrument).

It's a great value because there's no extra charge for room or breakfast, and there are vouchers to subsidize other meals. Probably in exchange for supporting the Tattoo.

Halifax is a lovely venue.
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, Arbanator,

Thanks so much for your replies. That information was exactly what I was trying to get. It sounds perfect for me and the cost is sure very reasonable.

Hopefully I can also get some feedback on the camp in North Dakota. I can get to that easily in a one day drive.

I played BBB for about five years back in the late 80s early 90s. The majority of the players were mostly professionals musicians, school band directors, etc. with a few enthusiasts like me. I did manage to make it up to second chair (first seat).

Now that my sight reading and my endurance and range (up to c above the staff) is coming back and since my first love is BBB, I need a few good brass band experiences.

My old BBB rehearses too far from where I live. So my goal is to get one started in North/East Colorado. In fact I already have a name: The Longs Peak BBB.

I know this is not an easy task, but I might be able to get some help since I live dead center between 3 universities each with music schools 🎼🎶🎶😄

Thanks again for your substantial feedback.

Cheers
Harry
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: North American Brass Band Summer School Reply with quote

Richard A wrote:
We were housed in a Dalhousie University dormitory. Breakfast was in the dining hall close by. Lunch and dinner were either in the dining hall or you could go to a local restaurant and pay with the meal vouchers provided.

Rehearsals were in a church around the corner from the dorm. ScotiaBank Center, venue for the Tattoo, was a fifteen minute walk.

Richard,

So would that mean I could do this camp without needing to rent a car and just take a bus or cab from and to the airport?
Thanks again,

Cheers,
Harry
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: North American Brass Band Summer School Reply with quote

Harry Hilgers wrote:
Richard A wrote:

Richard,

So would that mean I could do this camp without needing to rent a car and just take a bus or cab from and to the airport?
Thanks again,

Cheers,
Harry

Absolutely! I took the bus, the Metro X320 shuttle, ~$3 each way, 45 minute ride. Definitely no need for a car.
Arbanator
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was there, you could arrange for them to pick you up at the airport, and then you could walk to everything, and for the Tattoo they had a special bus route for all the performers. I drove from D.C., but then didn't use my car for the whole week.
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: NABBSS Reply with quote

In 2016 there was no airport pickup option. We stayed in Gerard Hall and no transportation was provided. Scotiabank Center is, according to Google Maps, 800 meters by foot.

There was a truck to haul the larger instruments (tuba).
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, Arbanator,

Thanks so much for weighing in on the transportation issue.

Cheers,
Harry
PayDayCon92

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: WTAMU Reply with quote

If you're looking for a great summer music camp, West Texas A&M University has an annual band camp.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also fly to England and attend the International Brass Band Summer School. Held in Swansea University campus. Run by Nick Childs, top players from Cory and BlackDyke are the tutors. Players from all over the world come. Japan, USA etc. One married couple from the USA attend every year. Rehearsals are from 9 am until lunch. Afternoons are free time, to relax, go to the beach, use the sports facilities etc. You can also have one free one to one lesson with your instrument tutor, like Richard Marshall, Owen Farr, Philip Cobb. It is a great week of playing for all levels.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: