• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I like the sound of cornet over a trumpet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bassguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scipioap wrote:
bassguy wrote:
What's an album?

I believe it's a collection of online photos. Which brings up the point that trumpets are more photogenic and aesthetically attractive. This is especially true of the Committee, just view the Kevin Dean video again. Or look at my avatar, which also proves an historical marketing consensus.

EDIT: Alright, I might make an exception for the Schilke Eb.

EDIT AGAIN: Also, could you really imagine Botti playing this $81 counterpart to what he plays now? (...hmm, I wonder if that could be melted and turned into a $7k clone of Botti's horn?)

There is a guy here named Bill, who performs on trympet with a gal named Bev. on keyboard. Bill has a tarnished '36 Martin that he says is just like Botti's. First time I saw it I thought it was a C trumpet. Which brings me to the point. I feel that aesthetically the trumpet tends to look too streamlined. Cornets too stout. I DO like the appearance of Bill's Martin
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]Custom 80A by genevie7, on Flickr[/img]

[img]Cornet3 by genevie7, on Flickr[/img]

Just a couple of Conn 80A from DQ Custom. One is mine. The other is Tommy T's. I'm trying a new photo sharing as photobucket got weird. Sorry for the intrusion.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: aesthetics of streamlined trpts vs too stout cornets, my Harrelson Summit circa 2010 falls in the middle, just right. Just got some Flitz to try to remove the red ring in my bell from keeping it on a stand, as well as some other unevenness in the patina, to try to improve the aesthetics of my raw brass horn. Aesthetics are the least of my concern, but if it had a nice even patina I'd like my favorite axe even better.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi

Are you guys joking?

Hey Lou, us Yanks here on the TH tend to have a terribly dry sense of humor. I know I've unintentionally offended a few blokes here with my own dry humor.

Quote:
I imagine that brassmusician's whole post was meant tongue in cheek.

Not bloody likely!! I know several former TH members that were immediately kicked off the site when it was found out they preferred the cornet to the trumpet. You're not even allowed to talk about the cornet outside this cornet/flugel sub-forum. That seems overly strict to me, but what can I do? I'm just one jazz trumpet player - who am I to override the 'powers that be' around here?
Www.LexSamu.com
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:
Quote:
Hi

Are you guys joking?

Hey Lou, us Yanks here on the TH tend to have a terribly dry sense of humor. I know I've unintentionally offended a few blokes here with my own dry humor.

Hi Lex

Thanks very much.

Quote:
I imagine that brassmusician's whole post was meant tongue in cheek.

Not bloody likely!! I know several former TH members that were immediately kicked off the site when it was found out they preferred the cornet to the trumpet. You're not even allowed to talk about the cornet outside this cornet/flugel sub-forum. That seems overly strict to me, but what can I do? I'm just one jazz trumpet player - who am I to override the 'powers that be' around here?

An example of your dry sense of humour, otherwise surely not?

This thread is confusing me lol!

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Young lady, how dare you accuse me of using my wonderfully dry sense of humor on this board! If you weren't across the pond, I'd challenge you to a trumpet duel!

Link

And just so there's no confusion, I'm Al Hirt in this scenario. After all, he was my boyhood idol and I got to see him and meet him a couple of times as a kid. He got me a front row seat and was talking to me through the whole concert. When he played Carnival of Venice, there was literally smoke coming out of his bell!

p.s. - Story goes that, after that duel, Guido stopped playing trumpet and switched exclusively to flugel.
Www.LexSamu.com
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:
Quote:

Young lady, how dare you accuse me of using my wonderfully dry sense of humor on this board!

Hi Lex

If I was only young lol.

If you weren't across the pond, I'd challenge you to a trumpet duel!

It would have to be a cornet duel because I'd insist on doing it on cornet. Only joking obviously.

Link

And just so there's no confusion, I'm Al Hirt in this scenario. After all, he was my boyhood idol and I got to see him and meet him a couple of times as a kid. He got me a front row seat and was talking to me through the whole concert. When he played Carnival of Venice, there was literally smoke coming out of his bell!

p.s. - Story goes that, after that duel, Guido stopped playing trumpet and switched exclusively to flugel.

Great clip and story. Thanks very much for sharing. Al Hirt was a very fine player in my opinion.

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Www.LexSamu.com
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the big traps in trumpet (and cornet) playing is that you must try to avoid to fall in love with your own miserable little sound.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having played my Dad's trumpet and my Uncle's cornet in concert band, both King instruments, I also favor the standard "long American" cornet for concert band. To my ears, the cornet blends better with both woodwinds and lower brass.

By contrast, the trumpet, to me, does do better for just about everything else, except British Brass Band music.
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight Up – Extra Dry:
The Wit & Wisdom of Bobby Hackett

Bobby Hackett's son, Ernie, writes that there is another talent, not so-well-known, for which Bobby should be remembered: an extremely dry sense of humor. Ernie has shared some of Bobby’s more memorable one-liners with us so that future generations will be able to enjoy a more well-rounded impression of the man which may not be so easily gleaned from the history books:
    – Bobby was a world traveler. One day, an airport security guard asked if that was a musical instrument in his cornet case. Bobby’s one-word answer was, “Occasionally.”

– Bobby accompanied Tony Bennett to the United Kingdom for a Royal Command Performance in front of Her Majesty, The Queen of England. As Tony was introducing “If I Ruled The World,” Bobby cried out from the bandstand, “What do you mean, if?!?!”

– When Ernie was on the road with his dad in the early 1970s, he began to note that almost every night, his father would announce to the audience that it was one of the band member’s birthdays. Finally realizing that it was almost never anyone’s actual birthday, he asked his father why he did that. Bobby answered, “Have you noticed how many free drinks it produces?”

There is another great story which circulates about his friend, the actor, comedian and orchestra leader, Jackie Gleason. “The great one” virtually invented the concept of “mood music” with his 1950s LP “Music For Lovers Only.” It was a time when most celebrities recorded cash-in albums to tie in with a television series or motion picture release and many questioned Gleason’s actual musical abilities. Bobby was the featured soloist on Gleason’s orchestral works and when musician-journalist Harry Currie of Toronto asked him what Gleason brought to the recording sessions, without skipping a beat, Bobby answered, “The checks.”

1963 Martin Committee #3
1962 Martin Committee Cornet #3
1961 Martin Custom Committee C
1941 Martin HC Committee #2
1945 Martin Committee #2
1942 Martin HC Committee Cornet
1941 Martin IBICO Indiana
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: