• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cute rotary valve pocket "cornet"/trumpets: Karl G

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bassguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Cute rotary valve pocket "cornet"/trumpets: Karl G Reply with quote

OK, here I go with those cheap horn inquiries again. I have seen in eBay these Jimbao "rotary valve cornets" for as low as $235. Nearly got one but was advised to stay away from Jimbao rotary valve products as they're unreliable. There is a pricier MyW Chinese product for more money, but it actually might be the same.

Furthermore these instruments aren't cornets really, they're pocket trumpets. Recently I came across a German dealer who sells something similar, but the bore isn't 11.66mm, like the other ones. It's 11.5mm, so probably not from the same factory. But, it is a Chinese product exported to Germany & then imported here from Germany. The name is Karl Glaser. Garbage? I have had reasonable lyck with cheap flugelhorns they were piston valves not rotary. I guess that is where the red flag is raised, as with the double import duties it's going to be no more reliable than Jimbao?
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think a rotary would be cool to have. Then I had problems with one of valves on my french horn. Its like a modern car. In the old days you could work on your own car and pretty much do everything yourself, not so with the modern ones. With rotary valves you are at the mercy of your technician. You can't just take them apart and futz with them. Finicky buggers.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Working on rotars Reply with quote

French horn rotors are one thing, and yes, too many things in the way to easily work on them. And how do you hold them while working on them? Rotary valve trumpets and flugels on the other hand aren't really as scary as you may think. I've had a few of them over the years and successfully restored them. With a bit of searching there are good videos on YouTube to watch which explain the process very well.

I have been told by owners of Jinbao instruments that the quality is OK and all that you may need to do on a new one is clean the rotors up a bit. I've got one on order now and I'll report down the road when I've had first hand experience with one. Less than $300 for a rotary flugel seems stupid low but as I said, I'll report further when I get mine.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony, I for one would be very interested in following on TH your explorations of Jin Bao horns... be they rotaries or pistons: cornets and flugels, as well as 4-valve flugels, which may be starting to make an appearance from sources in the PLC.

Please do keep us posted!
Regards, Guido
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: