• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Debating on Adams A4 or Taylor Chicago Model trumpets.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaukit720

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Debating on Adams A4 or Taylor Chicago Model trumpets. Reply with quote

I am looking to purchase a new trumpet in the near future and have narrowed my choices down to the Adams A4 or the Taylor Chicago model trumpets. I also have been looking at the Edwards Generation 3xb which looks amazing also. If anyone has any good info or advice on the differences, valves, etc. let me know what you think or which one you would go with for whatever reason. Thank you
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no direct experience with the Taylor or Edwards trumpets, but own and totally adore the Adams A4 heavy with gold brass bell (no shepherd crook).

Mechanically, A4 is a jewel, or perhaps a Swiss watch. Or should I say... A Dutch clock?!

The valves are unbelievably smooth, while all slides are super-silky.

Its tone is in general warm, with a very solid core, but is also extremely sensitive to MPs. While I usually try for a more romantic sound on it, using Curry TC, F.O TTC, or even a Stork A cornet piece, the use of Curry B or BC morphs the instrument towards the orchestral side. a friend of mine obtained on my horn, as well as on his A4 with shepherd crook a fantastic orchestral tone with a Monette piece (sorry, I do not remember the model) of his Monette).

He told me that he was considering very seriously also the Edwards Gen III, but finally opted for the A4 with shepherd crook because, according to his playing tests, A4 may have yielded a wider palette of tone colors.

Note that A4 has a few variants in addition to the more common heavy and light versions... There is the Shepherd crook, a special order version with double crooks for even warmer sound, and a special order version with four valve to bridge down towards the pedal range.

Traditionally, bells can be ordered in yellow, gold, red brass, or Sterling Silver.... But I suspect that Copper might also be available now.... Trent Austin can confirm, deny, or correct.
Regards, G.
Regards, Guido
wee steve

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that you may be in Europe and possibly England. That's why I'm going to throw a spanner in the works.
I bought one of the original Eclipse trumpets, like Taylor's and now Adams it had one of the German bauernfeind valve blocks, they were amazing. Adams then bought the company but did not keep on the workers so consequently the quality of the block suffered. This might not be the case now but it was back then. So to get on with it, Eclipse and Taylor are now using another valve block that is equally good. This week I took my horn to Eclipse to be rebuilt around the original valve block, I settled on a medium yellow celeste. I went there having the pre conceived idea that I wouldn't like the celeste as it looks too traditional like a Bach. Having tried the Enigma and the Celeste, I was hooked, everything about these horns is amazing as is the team and their customer service. I got there after work at 5:30 and stayed until 8pm just trying every leadpipe and bell combination and Leigh remained patient with me despite picking up and putting down the MY and MR bell over and over again and saying I like them both. So if you are in England and are looking at a real custom horn then the Taylor and Adams are great but I also urge you to go see Leigh too, even if you don't buy it you'll have a good day.

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest... how have you narrowed it down to those particular two/three?

Have you played a bunch of different models and decided that these two suit you best?

I'd certainly echo the suggestion to try the Eclipses, the Celeste's are amazing - particularly the CLS (changeable leadpipe system) model for me, though Leigh reckons it's about 50/50 between people who prefer fixed and CLS models.
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't Eclipse and Taylor now sourcing their valve blocks from CarolBrass?
G.
wee steve

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have gone CLS, I know that for the majority of it I'll spend on one leadpipe and I did think the fixed leadpipes was amazing but I just felt that this option was too good to refuse. The Taylor's are obviously great horns too but you have to at least consider Eclipse they are amazing in every way, I like the look of the Adams but have never tried one and to be honest I always fancied trying HBL If I was going Dutch.

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuidoCorona wrote:
Aren't Eclipse and Taylor now sourcing their valve blocks from CarolBrass?
G.

Hoxxon, which is the parent company of Carol, yes.

Taylor uses Getzen blocks on atleast one model, but still uses the Hoxxon blocks too.
Pretty sure Harrelson and Warburton use Hoxxon valves, too.

Damned good blocks - on par with Getzen and Bauerfeind in my humble opinion.
wee steve

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Taylor, Eclipse and others are using the Hoxton Gakki blocks, as Leigh said to me they are not exactly the same, they are in a way but built to his specs and not swappable, I believe Hoxton Gakki made blocks before they made Carol, I think Carol are the sons company, also decent horns but probably just a level below. I'd say having tried them this week they are just as good as the original block that I have on mine.

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valves on my Carolbrass cornets are very fine indeed, although they took a spell to reach the speed and buttery smoothness that they show now... There might have been a little bit of gunk residue from the horn manufacturing process.

The Valves of the Adams A4 instead were wonderful from day 1. CB valves on my cornets are still a little noisier than on the Adams A4. But I have no complaint, as the CB cornets are priced IMO well below their overall performance and construction level.

Having said the above, I suspect that the various high end boutique manufacturers that source CB valve blocks, might do a certain amount of additional work/cleaning to make the mechanisms conform with their own standards for a finished instrument.

G.
wee steve

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a lot of top players that use a carol as a back up horn, or as a pocket trumpet and lots of manufacturers are now using the valve block. At the the end of the day the valves are steel and are going to take time to bed in, you are very lucky that your Adams was butteeey smooth fromday one because most blocks take at least a good few months of constant playing.

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, thinking about it, my A4 had been used/demoed in the store and/or shows for a bit prior to me purchasing it.... So, Trent and his team might very well have broken in the valves for me.

Guido
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't get why Getzen valves are not the first choice for the boutique horns (maybe they costs more but so these horns). They are the best ones in the world, hands down. Getzen valves with soft Getzen springs are just on another quality level once you've tried them you can't go back.

My opinion on Hoxxon is that they are fine valve blocks for the Carol horns but if i had to buy an expensive custom trumpet i would not choose them.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
wee steve

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really simple, Hoxton not only make great valve blocks in stainless steel, they also allow the manufacturer to customize them to their own needs and specifications, Getzen from what I am told is take it the way we do it or leave it.

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a point to try the horns!!

I had a Taylor Chicago Standard 46 II. A very well made instrument and the Bauerfiend block felt great, but it blew so damn open!! One of the most open horns I've ever blown. The 0.470" bore is more again. 0.0

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wee steve wrote:

I bought one of the original Eclipse trumpets, like Taylor's and now Adams it had one of the German bauernfeind valve blocks, they were amazing. Adams then bought the company but did not keep on the workers so consequently the quality of the block suffered. This might not be the case now but it was back then. So to get on with it, Eclipse and Taylor are now using another valve block that is equally good.

Unless you have a bit more information than I do (I have talked with Adams numerous times about this) this is not technically 100% accurate. Adams did not fire the workers from Bauerfeind. They did raise the prices on the blocks as Bauerfeind was having financial issues at their current price structures. The Bauerfeind blocks primarily came from Adams without slides and Carol blocks can come fitted with slides for a lower price than the Adams blocks can.

IMO Adams wasn't willing to lose money to provide blocks to other makers and also they did want to probably keep the blocks for their own use (this is coming from me and not from them... I can only assume this since they are making a lot of instruments these days for the market).

Simple economics tilted a few makers over to the Carol blocks (which are decent but not the quality or fit of the Adams block). Ease of manufacturing and cost of parts also played a large role swaying makers like Taylor, Eclipse, Harrelson, and others to the HG block.

The jury is still out for the longevity of the Carol Block but I am assuming they'll be fine.

FWIW,

T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus2k wrote:
I just don't get why Getzen valves are not the first choice for the boutique horns (maybe they costs more but so these horns). They are the best ones in the world, hands down. Getzen valves with soft Getzen springs are just on another quality level once you've tried them you can't go back.

My opinion on Hoxxon is that they are fine valve blocks for the Carol horns but if i had to buy an expensive custom trumpet i would not choose them.

In your opinion...

I've owned getzens and I've owned multiple horns with hoxxon blocks - they're very much equals in my eyes, though if anything I prefer the hoxxon for feel.

Frankly I'd not think twice about either block on a top level horn, they're both a clear notch above the kanstul and Yamaha blocks I've owned, which are perfectly tolerable.
wee steve

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trent, I am sure the Adams block is fantastic, I wasn't meaning that the Germans were fired, I meant that production had shifted to holland therefore they lost some/all workers, I don't know why you would think the HK blocks are still untested they've been around a long while now. I have also heard that a first valve in a HK valve is instantly swappable with another HK first valve whereas the original Beurnfiends apparently are not, I am a big fan of these valves but I do worry that if one ever goes I am stuffed. Having said that I've heard Adams are amazing manufacturers and I am sure they have improved that block to b swappable. I mean no disrespect to Adams here Trent so if my info is wrong pm me and I'll edit my original post.

Cheers,

Steve

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wee steve wrote:
Hi Trent, I am sure the Adams block is fantastic, I wasn't meaning that the Germans were fired, I meant that production had shifted to holland therefore they lost some/all workers, I don't know why you would think the HK blocks are still untested they've been around a long while now. I have also heard that a first valve in a HK valve is instantly swappable with another HK first valve whereas the original Beurnfiends apparently are not, I am a big fan of these valves but I do worry that if one ever goes I am stuffed. Having said that I've heard Adams are amazing manufacturers and I am sure they have improved that block to b swappable.

I didn't say the HG blocks were untested. It's just too soon to tell the longevity of their blocks over decades.

We are happy to sell horns with those valveblocks on them. The difference is that the horns are around 1K in price (our Manchester Brass pro horns).

To each his own... I prefer the Bauerfeind block over anything on the market, not only for the feel (smoothest I have played to date with Getzen valves a close second) but more importantly the acoustic results. I have tried HG blocks on a few horns we built in the shop and felt the sound profile was smaller (same bell same leadpipe same everything but one horn had HG valves and one had Bauerfeind).

Best,
T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
wee steve

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting because I tried a few eclipses this week on the HK valves and the sound and projection was huge, I also tried two eclipses on the other block and although I am biased because I love the valve b block in mine, one of the b blocks couldn't compete with the HK block until the bell was changed then it became massive, the other was on a great new bell and was huge already. So personally I am convinced it's the bell giving that sound and projection, it could be that if the horn is only worth 1k then the bell and leadpipe must be cheaper quality too?

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Debating on Adams A4 or Taylor Chicago Model trumpets. Reply with quote

beaukit720 wrote:
I am looking to purchase a new trumpet in the near future and have narrowed my choices down to the Adams A4 or the Taylor Chicago model trumpets. I also have been looking at the Edwards Generation 3xb which looks amazing also. If anyone has any good info or advice on the differences, valves, etc. let me know what you think or which one you would go with for whatever reason. Thank you

What about these horns attract you? What sort of playing do you do, or want to do? From what I have read, the Taylor Chicagos are pretty focused on a solo jazz type sound. The Adams can do that, but can also get brilliant and do section work, too. If you're really thinking Taylor, then go there. If you still want some versatility, Go Adams. If you want a horn that will do more types of music, but still do the solo jazz thing, there are more choices.

So, again, what do you want to do with this horn?

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: