• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

9335CHSll and 9335NYSll vs original versions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: 9335CHSll and 9335NYSll vs original versions Reply with quote

Hello,

None of the search results I got answered this specific question so I'd like to ask what changed from 9335CHS and 9335NYS trumpets when they were updated to 9335CHSll and 9335NYSll, respectively.

I was talking to a friend that tried both new and old generations and he said the new generation is a lot better. But he does not own these horns and he couldn't explain exactly why. ...and what was that bad about the original version, to start with?

So, can anyone comment, considering technical and practical changes?

What changed from 9335CHS to 9335CHSll?
What changed from 9335NYS to 9335NYSll?

Thank you.
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to Bob Malone, the lead designer on the artist trumpet project, while he was working on my Chicago. He didn't go into too many specifics (I also didn't ask, because, well, I trust him), but did mention that the only component that did not change from the Chicago I to the Chicago II was the first valve slide.

I could speculate that the biggest changes were in the lead pipe but every part of the horn was tweaked slightly based on feedback from the Chicago I. People I know that bought one love it, but some people prefer the original.
BFlinch83
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the NYII with the YM bell. It's an amazing horn! I owned a Gen 1 Chicago and have played the Gen 1 NY and didn't love either of them. The sound was always a little vanilla on the NY for me and the Chicago was too narrow of a blow. The NYII C is a perfect openness for me (like an efficient Bach). The tone is both warm and sparkling, not vanilla at all.

The YM bell is the one that the Boston Symphony helped design. I haven't played the YS bell that David Bilger helped design, but he loves that horn in Philly. I've heard that the YM is supposed to be a little more directional and the YS a little wider (think 239 vs. 229) but not sure. The YM is a very colorful sound.

I've owned MANY C trumpets (too many) and find this Yamaha to be the perfect combination of brilliance and warmth, openness but not too open, and great pitch. I'd highly suggest giving it a try.

I also played tested the NYII Bb trumpet. While its a great horn, I find that I get a little more out of my Shires Model AZ. The NYII plays great and is very even, but if anything it sounds like a C trumpet to me. Everyone that I played it for next to my Shires said that the Shires just had a more open and interesting sound.
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find good deals on the Chicago and NYC I versions now that the II is out. One must ask "Are the new ones $2,000 better?"
Yamaha 8315G flugel/ Reeves 42F
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look what I found.

It's in Spanish but it lists major changes in the 9335NYS. There are also a few pictures that spot some of the parts that were updated.

TROMPETA YAMAHA YTR 9335 NYS 02 EN SIb

- Nuevo modelo de marzo de 2016.
- Pesada.
- Campana de latón de 123 mm (4-7/8 pulgadas).
- Tuberia ML: 11,65 mm (0,459 pulgadas).
- Acabado: baño de plata.
- Boquilla: TR17B4.
- Rediseño de la campana en la unión con los pistones.
- Tudel más grueso que el diseño anterior, un estilo original Malone Pipe ™ MB2.
- Receptor de la boquilla más ligero.
- Diluyente caja de válvula y los pistones.
- Modificación del ángulo de entrada en la camisa (nudillo, marcado en azul en la foto).
Hugh Anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- New model of March 2016.
- Heavy.
- Brass bell of 123 mm (4-7 / 8 inches).
- ML pipe: 11.65 mm (0.459 inches).
- Finish: silver bath.
- Mouthpiece: TR17B4.
- Redesign of the bell in the union with the pistons.
- Tudel thicker than the previous design, an original Malone Pipe ™ MB2 style.
- Receiver of the lightest nozzle.
- Diluent valve box and pistons.
- Modification of the entry angle in the jacket

from google
Albert Castillo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/winds/trumpets/c-trumpets/xeno_artist_models/ytr-9445nys_02/
LarsHusum

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leadpipe on the CHII is a newer version compared to the old one. The CHII has a semi round tuning slide, where the CHI has a traditional D shaped slide.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert Castillo wrote:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/winds/trumpets/c-trumpets/xeno_artist_models/ytr-9445nys_02/

Hi

I believe that the OP was talking about the Bb models, as he is talking about the 9335 models.

Therefore:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/winds/trumpets/bb-trumpets/ytr-9335nys_02/?mode=model

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/winds/trumpets/bb-trumpets/ytr-9335chs_02/?mode=model

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs

Last edited by Louise Finch on Mon May 22, 2017 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
brianj
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 9335CHSll and 9335NYSll vs original versions Reply with quote

abundrefo wrote:
Hello,

None of the search results I got answered this specific question so I'd like to ask what changed from 9335CHS and 9335NYS trumpets when they were updated to 9335CHSll and 9335NYSll, respectively.

I was talking to a friend that tried both new and old generations and he said the new generation is a lot better. But he does not own these horns and he couldn't explain exactly why. ...and what was that bad about the original version, to start with?

So, can anyone comment, considering technical and practical changes?

What changed from 9335CHS to 9335CHSll?
What changed from 9335NYS to 9335NYSll?

Thank you.

Hi

Sorry I can't comment on the practical changes but my brother just did a joint recital with a principal trumpet player from one of the UK major orchestras and that particular player much prefers the Chicago 1 to the new Chicago 2.

all the best

brian jones
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert Castillo wrote:

You are right! There is a lot of information at the Features tab, even on the 9335NYS II official page. I just didn't check this tab before.

Nevertheless, it's still nice to hear from people who have compared both generations of these two 9335 models.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: