• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Searching for a better Mouthpiece

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If you were Lead for Marching Band, Big Band, and Concert Band did you use one set Mouthpiece?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 13 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 26

Tyler Alexander

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Searching for a better Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Help!
I've talked with my high school band professor and a couple other band students on which MP sounded better between a "Bach Megatone 1 1/2 C" and the Yamaha 11b4, the standard mouthpiece. The students said the 11b4 sounded more "rounded out", and I've noticed its a lot easier to access range. However the Rim on the MP is way too shallow for me. I cannot slur as well as i can on the Megatone and sometimes its hard to buzz, as i have big lips. I do like the Megatone, but I'm starting to enjoy the bright sound of the 11b4 a lot more. I need help finding a MP with a bright sound, preferably with a similar cup size to the 11b4 but a larger rim. Thank you

-btw, I'm preparing to play lead for my Marching Band, Big Band, and Concert Band next year.

Last edited by Tyler Alexander on Mon May 15, 2017 8:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In what way is an 11B4 "the standard mpc?"

That's probably either a Yamaha or Schilke, but what size Bach have you been playing?
Tyler Alexander

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 11b4's a yamaha model.
the Bach MP is a 1 1/2 C
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem you would do better with a B4 cup on a rim size closer to, or identical to your 1.5. (15B4?)

Or perhaps a Bach commercial mpc, either 1.5 or 3?

Alternatively, many Bach players do well on a Reeves, but that is an expensive option.
Hnelldor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I would suggest making a trip to a local music shop to try a few different pieces to see what feels right. Tim's Music in Sacramento has a fine selection and they are very helpful.

-Nick
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a 14B4 and a 15B4. You're looking for something that's big enough that you can get your lips into it without scrunching, but no bigger, because bigger mouthpieces can be difficult to play for range and endurance.
Piccolo Stomvi
Bigelow-Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 11B4 is Yamaha's equivalent of a Bach 7C (or 7D). One size mpc doesn't fit everyone's chops but with a beginner it's a great middle of the road place to start. Going to a Bach 1.5C Megatone will be a sizeable jump in inner diameter and cup volume. Plus, the extra mass may be more tiring to "light-up" in the marching band.
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
Try a 14B4 and a 15B4. You're looking for something that's big enough that you can get your lips into it without scrunching, but no bigger, because bigger mouthpieces can be difficult to play for range and endurance.

This is good advice assuming the 1 1/2 C is the most efficient diameter the op is currently using.

Rim width is the distance between the outer diameter of the mp and the drop off or bite where the cup starts. Rims come in different contours from round to flat. There is usually a very slight high spot near the bite for a good "feel". The diameter is the distance across the mp including the rim. Semantics!

Changing diameters on a mouthpiece is a major issue. This is why it is impacting your flexibility. Changing cup depths is not as big a deal. Changing cup depths is like turning up the treble or turning up the bass on an equalizer. (do they still have those?). The 11B4 (7C ish)and 1 1/2 C have very different diameters.

With all due respect how about getting into all the mouthpiece variations and comparison charts you can find online to help in your quest.

Best of luck,

Gordon Stump
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing "standard" about an 11B4, unless you mean it's standard weight vs a megatone weight?

If you like the rim of the 1.5C others have suggested maybe finding a Schilke or Yamaha 14B or 16B

But I might add that a 1.5C rim is as big as it comes. And whether you have "big lips" or small really doesn't matter. I've got huge lips and play around a Bach 10 rim....in fact maybe smaller. And lots of other guys I know play on small rims despite big lips.

My point is you can adjust to anything, and might do better with a smaller rim, especially at your age and development level. And playing in marching band and jazz band? You might find a smaller rim easier for endurance and range, and a shallower cup like a (Schilke or Yamaha) A or B cup will give you a bit more edge and brightness to be heard better and project your sound better.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hnelldor wrote:
Hello,
I would suggest making a trip to a local music shop to try a few different pieces to see what feels right. Tim's Music in Sacramento has a fine selection and they are very helpful.

-Nick

I second this. You have the advantage of having a fine place to try things out nearby. They are extremely helpful and will let you try anything in the store. Amazing selection of mouthpieces and horns.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players who play on 1-1/2C rims generally transition very nicely to the Reeves 43 rim. (I'm one of them). The Reeves 43 rim is very comfortable. A Reeves 43C in particular would probably be the perfect mouthpiece for you, for all your playing. The Reeves C up is just a bit shallower than a Bach C cup. The amazing thing about the Reeves mouthpieces (and I've never experienced this with any other brand), is that particularly with the Reeves C cup (and M cup to some extent), one can get a very nice warm sound in the lower to middle registers, but still get a very strong, big, bright sound in the upper registers (or hold back a bit up high and not get too bright for symphonic situations). I can and do play a 43C for everything from 1st trumpet parts in heavy big-band style shows like The Producers, to concert band situations. Also, and this isn't just hyperbole, but there's something almost magic about the fact that the upper register is physically easier on a Reeves C or M cup than on other mouthpieces. I've tried other mouthpieces, some even shallower than the C or M cup Reeves, yet while these other mouthpieces sound brighter (as in too bright) in the lower and middle registers, the upper register is harder to play on them than on the Reeves. Basically, most shallow mouthpieces just seem to add brightness, often unwanted, to the sound and don't really make the high notes easier.

Yes, Reeves are most expensive than most - and yet, a plurality, if not the majority of professional commercial players use them. There's a reason. There's just something about the combination of cup shape, and backbore shape (and matching throat size) that Bob Reeves puts together that works, and works so well.

I'd suggest you watch the Marketplace here and also eBay, find yourself a used 43C and buy one - I think you'll be happy you did. That's what I did back in 2002 just after coming off 1st Trumpet for Evita in Berlin, just before I got the job to play 1st trumpet for West Side Story in Basel, Switzerland - that 43C made WSS so much easier. I only wish I had discovered the magic of the 43C years earlier.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP is asking YES/NO whether or nor not to use one or multiple mouthpieces for all of his playing.

Question. While "big" mouthpieces may be good for a deeper tone, are they really the best bet for lead jazz band playing? Or outdoors lead marching band playing, for that matter?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short - Yes. I was a one mouthpiece, one trumpet guy until I was almost 27.

With that in mind, it's going to depend on your chops (if your chops aren't developed enough to use a shallow mouthpiece, it may not be the way to go) but working harder when you don't have to is not the way I'd want to go.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what John Mohan wrote!..

as a teacher I'd suggest that you get one mouthpiece and stick with that.. as a Pro - yes I, at times, use different setups, but my chops are established and well trained - most H.S. students don't fall into that category.

Reeves 43 C or M / 42 C or M
Yamaha 14B4 or 16B4 ("C" cups have a sharper rim - I'm not a fan and the 15 series is also not high on my list)
Bach 3C

would be the mouthpieces that I suggest you try.. find the one that has the best mix of comfort and tone. Any of these will help you produce a sound, volume and control for all the playing you'll be doing.

Don't go for the shallow piece for MB/JB.. they tend to lead young players down a path of bad habits that will have to be unlearned later.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tyler
Yes a yam. 14B4, or why not try a standard 1 1/2C that in theory should sound brighter than the megatone version?
Fot the situations you re asking about, i play various mpcs, all with the same rim diameter, but with different cup depth, throat, backbore:
Shallow, 28 throat, standard bb for lead in big band
Same with more open bb, or another mpc with mid shallow mpc, for street or marching band.
Medium deep, 27 throat, or deep, 26 throat symphonic bb for concert band.

Best
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, you will enjoy the multitude of ideas you have been getting, all a bit different - although John M's suggestion is a very good one.

You should go to a GOOD teacher, and definitely NOT talk to other students at school about this. You are searching for clue from those who are, essentially, clueless. And unless you r band director is a trumpet player, their best will be to quit a 1975 edition of The Instrumentalist (if you are lucky).

A GOOD teacher can work with you about your playing challenges, your setup, and find what may work best for you.

cheers

Andy
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bach Artisan 3C is a great all-around mouthpiece. It's not really that shallow but not as deep as the 1 1/2C. The rim is quite comfortable and supportive and makes it easier to produce a nice brilliant full sound​ bottom to top.

Check out the Kanstul comparator. The Artisan 3C is very close to a 1 1/2C in diameter but the cups are different and there is a slight difference in the rim contour.

On E flat, I use a Reeves 43M with an Artisan 3C rim threaded onto it. Plays very well.

I think Tim's Music has some of the Artisan line in stock as well as some of the Bach Commercial line.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I don't know the best mouthpiece for you, in the end that's something only you will know, but larger than a3? Read what Jens Lindemann wrote. http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Thu May 18, 2017 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Of course I don't know the best mouthpiece for you, in the end that's something only you will know, but larger than a 3? Read what Jens Lindemann wrote." - Kehaulani

+1 ad nauseum ...
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece

Last edited by RussellDDixon on Fri May 19, 2017 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
The OP is asking YES/NO whether or nor not to use one or multiple mouthpieces for all of his playing.

Question. While "big" mouthpieces may be good for a deeper tone, are they really the best bet for lead jazz band playing? Or outdoors lead marching band playing, for that matter?

That is another good question Mr K. Wish the forum allowed me to hit "like". What we're still seeing, even this far into the future is the continued application of the "large mouthpiece is better" formula.

And while I'm certain that this is good advice for a certain minority of trumpet players am equally certain that the suggestion is not valid for the majority. And for a sizeable group it is damned near ruinous.

The goal of a mouthpiece change should usually include increasing endurance and adding more musical register. Yet those who advocate the "bigger is better" concept are dealing largely from a tonal perspective. While these larger pieces do create a lot of overtones and a broad volume of sound? This usually comes at the expense of endurance, projection and register. Typically we've long seen teachers advocate,

Start with 7C, switch to 3C in high school, then move to 1C in college. Or some similar message.

Little wonder why we're tuning out so few decent lead players even today... This has resulted in the great masses of trumpet players near or actually hopelessly stuck at or below high C.

Instead I'd like to see,

1. Start with the mouthpiece which is the most swift at allowing the student to blow a solid high C.

2. Along with the application of good fundamentals in practice? Learn to increase register to high G.

The first concept applied as a beginner. The second late in middle school or early high school. The fact remains that trumpet players with good musicality and a solid high F get most of the good gigs. And yet our schools arent teaching this. Its like even our colleges are searching for the business model of Herbert Clarke. Who truly was a great cornetist.

But the mouthpieces of his era weren't usually the best suited for most of the 20th century. Instead a far better business model would be the artists of Louis Armstrong and Maynard.

Our teaching methods are still a long ways away from helping young trumpet players develop the kind of chops which actually help make them employable.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: