• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

King of trumpet spam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: King of trumpet spam Reply with quote

There have been tons of threads and gossip around KT. So I'm not going to dive into much beyond this current vid he posted :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fEBpOQqYEc0

Ok, he played the melody and got all the high notes and such. Which is the EASY part if you have some high chops. But my god..listen to the section that he tried to either transcribe, or had somebody transcribe some of Doc's improvised solo section.

That's the tricky part, and for all his bragging, and such pride in this recording, it just sounds so awful. And he was in a studio, so he had multiple times at bat to clean that up...and what is recorded is his best cut? Yikes!!! It's a minor vamp with some blue notes. Not the most challenging lines to play. And if he wasn't such a D and bragging how this is as good as Doc's recording and better than anybody else can ever play it...I'd shrug my shoulders and say ok....and move on. But what a hot mess this recording is.

Then...let's not forget to mention, that he's playing with a what sounds like 1990s MIDI sequenced orchestra. No live humans there...

It's a karaoke recording. Best....that's it. And all the braggadocio and posturing, and inflated ego and build up over a karaoke recording?

If this guy didn't have YouTube so loaded with his spam, and his name and vid come up all the time in my feed, I could just ignore him. If his videos weren't always bashing pros who have real careers beyond YouTube videos and get gigs with other humans...I could ignore him. If he wound beat up on so many young players just discovering and getting excited about trumpet, I could ignore him.

But the karaoke star is a jerk, and a bully. Sometime soon I wish he'd wake up to seeing just how destructive he is to HIMSELF, let alone others. I get it, he wants to attract business for his teaching course, but his reputation is the WORST amongst trumpeters globally. Soon he has to realize this....right?
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have another beer bud !! you and arturo and one and the same !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw_iX5vl9aw

tjg

berp!!!
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:
have another beer bud !! you and arturo and one and the same !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw_iX5vl9aw

tjg

berp!!!

Most definitely....he Arturo, and Doc one in the same for sure. Here's proof of that. I mean not on a gig, but playing around with his TV. That's almost like getting hired for a real job with other humans that want to be around you....right?

King of Spam or King of karaoke???

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JC2Rfg2xmac
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna sound like Doc Severinson playing McArthur Park? Then try this understated and MUSICAL treatment by Doc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npy2RWhYmCY

As far as the artistic element in his improvisation . . . there is none. Just about a bunch of unmusical noise. Listen to Blue Mitchell, Miles Davis, et al for comparison. Again, there is none.

(Regarding his use of a recorded background by synthetic voices, I see that as a non-issue, though. I'm sure most of us have done that just to have something other than air to play with.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
dcjway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't everyone a legend in their own mind and thanks to the internet we can share that with everyone.
dcjway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I love Chet Baker, to be able to play like he did, first missing a front tooth and then with dentures, too bad his addiction took him.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never understood why so many want to play such a terrible song. I guess it was a different time and place - you could say that we'll never have that recipe again, oh no.

This is my favorite rendition of the song:

Link
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have avoided the Kurt Thompson thing so far, but after watching this one with the aspirin, I gotta say...... he's funny as S%!T.... that guy would be a blast to hang out with prob
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet he's a lot of fun to hang out with up to a point. I'd stay away from any controversial topics that might set him off though ...and the "blast" might be from a clock tower on some college campus someday unfortunately.

The guy is unhinged. I hope he gets a "wake up call" moment and gets some help at some point sooner rather than later.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is trashing someone such a compelling topic on TH? How does that help the trumpet community?

This guy has been the topic of several threads. How are we personally compromised by what this guy does?

Every time someone is trashed on TH they're getting a free advertisement. Why not focus on players you respect and admire? Why not just ignore this guy? What's happening here is more than criticism. It's vilification.

Criticism/vilification sometimes reflects the insecurities of the critic more than the shortcomings of the person being criticized/vilified. Something to consider.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Why is trashing someone such a compelling topic on TH? How does that help the trumpet community?

This guy has been the topic of several threads. How are we personally compromised by what this guy does?

Every time someone is trashed on TH they're getting a free advertisement. Why not focus on players you respect and admire? Why not just ignore this guy? What's happening here is more than criticism. It's vilification.

Criticism/vilification sometimes reflects the insecurities of the critic more than the shortcomings of the person being criticized/vilified. Something to consider.

This guy has vilified more players than I can even name. This thread was really just about his constant spamming of YouTube. With more frequency than I'd ever imagine, when I look for a trumpeter I enjoy listening to, his mug shows up in my feed. It's difficult to ignore somebody that shows up everywhere like a bad penny. And a bad penny with such nasty things to say about so many people.

By putting himself in such a public eye, while constantly slamming so many guys and being such a negative voice in our small industry...he's going to ruffle feathers and get the occasional frustrated response from people...like this one.

If you want to defend him, that's your prerogative. If you want to twist my vocal frustration by saying MY shortcomings are at fault for what a nasty guy KT is...that's cool as well, albeit inaccurate.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Trumpet greatness Reply with quote

In my entire listening career I have only heard one other amazing trumpet soloist that equals this rendition of Doc's MacArthur Park and that is the unbelievable Roy Roman. I believe Roman might have the edge on range but this guy's musicality is truly awe inspiring. Thanks for posting it.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc also did a more up-tempo "pop" version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF8scBG0iJs
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet greatness Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
In my entire listening career I have only heard one other amazing trumpet soloist that equals this rendition of Doc's MacArthur Park and that is the unbelievable Roy Roman. I believe Roman might have the edge on range but this guy's musicality is truly awe inspiring. Thanks for posting it.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

Man I haven't heard that name in 20 years, last I talked to Roy he moved down south somewhere and was starting some kind of Church ministry stuff? Is he still playing trumpet?

That guy was fearless on trumpet. Tasteful....that's a different story, but fearless
dcjway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy has a website www.royroman.com you could try and contact him through there.
1935 NY Bach 26-59 silver plate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: