• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Good used horns for students/families on a budget

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattypatty

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Good used horns for students/families on a budget Reply with quote

Hello all,

Returning to the Trumpet Herald community after a long hiatus.

I am about to embark upon a career as a public schools music educator. I figure I will be posting here from time to time to get ideas. Today's food for thought: does anyone have favorite models/makes to recommend to students/families for whom budgets may be tight (and, for that matter, music departments looking to fill inventory on the cheap)? Are there any particular vintages or makes that you feel might represent something of a "market inefficiency" (i.e. are good horns but not typically all that pricey because they are "old" or not as well known)? For this thought exercise, horns appropriate for beginners and more advanced players are both on the table.

Your time and thoughts are much appreciated.

p.s. if anyone happens to have thoughts about other instruments as well, feel free to leave those here, too.

Last edited by mattypatty on Sun May 21, 2017 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Good used horns for students/families on a budget Reply with quote

mattypatty wrote:
Hello all,

Returning to the Trumpet Herald community after a long hiatus.

I am about to embark upon a career as a public schools music educator. I figure I will be posting here from time to time to get ideas. Today's food for thought: does anyone have favorite models/makes to recommend to students/families for whom budgets may be tight (and, for that matter, music departments looking to fill inventory on the cheap)? Are there any particular vintages that you feel might represent something of a "market inefficiency" (i.e. are good horns but not typically all that pricey because they are "old")? For this thought exercise, horns appropriate for beginners and more advanced players are both on the table.

Your time and thoughts are much appreciated.

p.s. if anyone happens to have thoughts about other instruments as well, feel free to leave those here, too.

Sometimes one can find used Kanstul 700s for sale. They are usually around $500 and are fine playing instruments. They perform up to professional trumpet standards and Kanstul workmanship has a good reputation. These horns are made entirely in the US from American parts and with American labor.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen 300
Yamaha 2300 series
Olds Ambassador
Holton 602

Pete
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big fun of Getzen 300/400 and Capri lime for all young students.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't neglect a rent / rent-to-own program from a local music store. This is a good way to ensure beginngers have there hands on instruments that work and have a repair policy (half the battle), Repairs are important as beginners learn how to care for an instrument. Many now have a step-up track. After a time you can apply your policy toward a new step-up instrument.

The store that provides this service can/should also provide the school and families with decent new and used instruments.

agreed:
Getzen 300
Yamaha 2300 series
Olds Ambassador
Holton 602

Bach 7C or Yamaha 11B4 - mouthpieces to begin with.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
y-o-y
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Good used horns for students/families on a budget Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:

Sometimes one can find used Kanstul 700s for sale. They are usually around $500 and are fine playing instruments. They perform up to professional trumpet standards and Kanstul workmanship has a good reputation. These horns are made entirely in the US from American parts and with American labor.

I would add the Kanstul-made Besson 600s to this list. I purchased a 609 off craigslist for like 75 bucks (it was in really rough shape) and had it cleaned up for $100 and it was a great playing horn. A year or so later I came across a beautiful Kanstul 709 and bought it thinking it would be 16.4% better (bad math joke) but it didn't hold up to the standard of the 609, for me.

I recently saw a clean looking 609 on CL for $225. If I didn't already have one, I would grab that in a second.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holton t602 and the older Collegiate
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned to play on a used Bach TR300 that I found in a pawn shop for $89.00. Played perfectly and was none the worse for wear. I still see them on Craigslist and Ebay for around $150.00-$300.00 +-.

Also, there seems to be a plethora of of Olds Ambassador trumpets available for $140.00 to $300.00.

In addition, there always seems to be quite a few Conn "Doc Severinsen" 1000's on the market. I don't know much about the quality of these horns, but they are generally listed at between $250.00 to $400.00, depending on condition.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother with the Conn 1000B. They ore ok, but there are many things better - both in build quality and playing characteristics.

Yamaha YTR-2335
Holton(King maybe??) T600/601/602
Kanstul-made Bessons
Olds Ambassador
Bundy
Shoe

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in high school, a lot of kids played on yamaha 4335's, usually silver. They are good enough horns to carry a player through high school, and durable enought to take abuse from school band.
They can be found online for pretty good prices usually as well.
A lot of beginner students used old king 600s from ebay in my area as well, and they seemed to hold up, and those are normally pretty affordable at 100-250 online, so I'd suggest those as well
Yuri!

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoe wrote:
A lot of beginner students used old king 600s from ebay in my area as well, and they seemed to hold up, and those are normally pretty affordable at 100-250 online, so I'd suggest those as well

I am agree. I have a king 601 tempo and I can recommend it for beginners.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have several Odls Ambassadors, trumpets, cornets, trombones and a baritone. I got them all as donations or $50.00 or less. You just have to hunt for them. I paid $30.00 for a Selmer clarinet at a 2nd hand store, got several flutes that way too. But, I also know ho to re-pad and fix minor things. I find the hunt half the fun. I also once found an old Selmer K Modified that I got for $40.00 at an antique store. I kept that one and later traded it for 3 clarinets and a flute. I also go to pawn shops and will bundle. I once found an open hole Armstrong flute for $50.00. Just got to hunt. I also shamelessly promote my music program at concerts and will ask for the old instruments long not used and sitting in attics. I have a Rolland electric piano coming today. However, I do need some more flutes and clarinets. Oops, I forgot about the King Silver Flare. They are out there, sometimes you have to hunt, sometimes you just have to ask.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Wonderful trumpets on a budget Reply with quote

I worked with Kessler and Sons Music developing their line of quality trumpets which utilize first class components. The top of the line Kessler Custom has a rose brass bell, sterling silver leadpipe and a special Pro-Tec case and sell for under $1200 in clear lacquer. It is truly a pro level instrument. The so-called student Bb is a fabulous blowing trumpet priced below $800, and as I personally test each model horn and sign a card stating that I approve, it often surprises me with how well the student horns blow comparing favorably to well known brands. A bonus on the Kessler Custom Pro is that a copy of my Hal Leonard play along book entitled "Big Band Classics with Tony Scodwell" is included with each horn. I have told Kessler that they have priced these horns too low and I would take advantage of current pricing at the moment. Look at their website for all the details.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
mattypatty

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a few mentions of the Holton 602. I will do some research of my own, but can anyone give me the Cliff Notes rundown of this horn?

I remember being impressed by a used Getzen 300 we had at Sam Ash when I worked there - anyone have more extensive experience with it?
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The t602/Collegiate and Super Collegiate were/are very decent student trumpets. ML bore, main slide brace and mobile 1st&3rd slides for intonation issues which are not completely necessary cause they play quite in tune. Built to withstand marching band. And fantastic Holton valves. The RC suffix means it's a Yamaha
Dbfinn

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very happy with the cheapest Carol Brass trumpet I could find. I have own it for a year and a half. They use the same stainless steel top quality valves for all the product range.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/carol_brass_ctr_2000h_yss_bb_l.htm
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I've only bought one bad trumpet but I knew it was busted. Probably bought a dozen student models though never came across an Ambassador but all of them were decent from t602/603, Bundy, Bach, don't laugh but both of the Cecilio trumpets even the $89 Mendini after 3years of abuse the valve don't stick anymore. An Olympian peashooter was nice and well built. I think the student market is all about the same, meant to be abused and still function well. I would push the t602 simply because of the reputation of Holton/Selmer Bach. And there's tons of them so used prices are reasonable and plenty of parts available for service.
mattypatty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any thoughts on how a Holton 602 or Getzen 300/400 compares to a Bach Mercedes II? I have a Mercedes II as a beater - I bought it cheap knowing I probably wasn't going to be getting anything amazing. I don't particularly care for it, but it was bought to be a stunt double around the eager hands of rambunctious kids, and it gives me a bit of a frame of reference.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattypatty wrote:
Does anyone have any thoughts on how a Holton 602 or Getzen 300/400 compares to a Bach Mercedes II? I have a Mercedes II as a beater - I bought it cheap knowing I probably wasn't going to be getting anything amazing. I don't particularly care for it, but it was bought to be a stunt double around the eager hands of rambunctious kids, and it gives me a bit of a frame of reference.

I owned a horribly out of tune Mercedes II around '70-'72. It was so flat one couldn't tune it and different valve combos were worse. It might have been a fluke since I only had a sample of one.
OldKing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Good used horns for students/families on a budget Reply with quote

mattypatty wrote:
Hello all,
I am about to embark upon a career as a public schools music educator.

Plenty of good suggestions above, so I'll just add...

A. Thank you, and may God be with you.
B. You have my prayers. (I have done it, albeit ever so briefly.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: