• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

John Packer JP851 Pro Double Trumpet case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: John Packer JP851 Pro Double Trumpet case Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Hi

After telephoning John Packer Ltd in the UK, and discussing this with them, I have ordered the following case:

http://www.jpmusicalinstruments.com/JP-Pro-Double-Trumpet-Case.html

As the above link shows, this case is actually the supplied case with the JP371SW Bb Cornet.

Additionally, see the middle paragraph under the cornet picture on the following link:

http://www.jpmusicalinstruments.com/xcms_entry.php?xcmsentryid=39

Anyway, John Packer Ltd kindly tried a Yamaha Neo cornet (the gentleman I spoke to also plays a Xeno cornet, and agreed that the wraps of the Xeno and Neo cornets are very similar) and Yamaha Xeno II trumpet in this case, and they comfortably fit with no pressure on the cornet bell.

I therefore decided to order one.

All the best

Lou

Hi

My new case came today, and there is good and bad.

The best thing is that it will easily fit both my trumpet and cornet, and is not very big. It is taller and narrower than my Yamaha double back pack case, so no bigger overall. It is also nicely made and smart looking. In addition to the removable main divider which goes between the two instruments, there are quite a few padded blocks with velcro, and a shaped divider, which looks like it could go behind the bell tail of a cornet, although I've used the padded blocks instead.

There are feet on both the end and bottom of the case, so that it can be put down horizontally or stood up vertically. There is correspondingly a handle on the end and side.

Now the bad. I mention that it is taller and narrower than my Yamaha double case. I previously mentioned on either this or another thread, that what I dislike about the large pocket on my Yamaha double case is that it has curved sides, meaning that only the very middle is wide enough for a foolscap cardboard folder. You can however at least put single sheets of A4 music in this pocket.

The pocket on my new case is not as wide as a sheet of A4 paper (although it is a lot taller). This pocket therefore simply cannot hold sheet music. It also has no internal compartments. This pocket will hold a small metal fold-up music stand.

Additionally, the back pack straps are fully functional but very odd. I expected the style of back pack straps that are stitched at the top and unclip at the bottom, to zip neatly away behind a panel. No, there is no panel to hide away the back pack straps, probably because this case doesn't come with the alternative choice of a detachable shoulder strap (which I found very surprising), so you'd probably want to use the back pack straps. There are two separate back pack straps. They have to be secured on rings at the top and bottom of the case. There are no clips on the shoulder straps, and it is a case of having to put the narrower end strap on each shoulder strap through a ring on the case and back through a buckle on the shoulder strap. Each end is different, and to be honest, since there are no instructions, I have no idea whether I have buckled them up correctly. They vaguely look like the photos on the website, and seem to function ok, so will do.

Edit: I had a think about this and a good look at the back pack straps, and have worked out how they go. They were wrong last time, but I'm pretty sure that I have them right now.

There are also no instructions or suggestions regarding how to configure the case with the velcro padded blocks or smaller curved divider.

I personally don't like the side handle style comprising of two single handles which are held together by a velcro sleeve, because they are either side of the main zip, but maybe that is me. I'd prefer a fixed handle on one side of the Zip, and a flap with a press fastener going over the zip, as an extra measure of security.

There is no ring to hold a clip on mute bag.

My conclusion is that the case is well made, looks nice, securely holds my trumpet and cornet, and is surprisingly small. I don't think it is however particularly well designed with regards to the back pack straps, lack of an alternative detachable shoulder strap, lack of a ring to attach a mute bag, and particularly the size of the pocket.

I would rather the case was wide enough to hold a large music folder.

If I was designing it, I would make the case wider, possibly by adding a full length mute space at the front (or by making it a triple, which I suppose is a bit controversial, since it would no longer be a double case), make the pocket wide enough + expandable, in order to hold a large music folder, would add the rings to hold a supplied detachable shoulder strap, would add a ring for a mute bag, and would alter the style of the back pack straps, so that they are fixed at the top, simply clip to rings at the bottom, and can be stored behind a panel.

Anyway, my view is mixed. The case will do the job, but I'll have to continue carrying a separate accessory bag. Basically I see it as replacing one single trumpet case and one single cornet case, with one double trumpet/cornet case, with no other change to how I carry my accessories.

All the best

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I thought that I would post an update after living with this case through a series of gigs, so started a new thread on this topic.

I had four gigs and one rehearsal between Friday and Sunday, and used this case to carry my trumpet and cornet.

As I said previously, this is simply a modular double case whose layout can be configured via a large and small divider, and a selection of padded blocks with velcro, that will hold either two trumpets, two cornets, one of each, or a single trumpet/cornet with a reasonable number of mutes. There is a double mouthpiece pouch and small zippered loose accessory pouch (it would only hold valve oil, grease, or other very small accessories), which can be placed in the interior of the case, and a long narrow flat exterior accessory pocket, which can hold additional accessories including a fold-up metal music stand, but neither music or mutes. This case also has back pack straps and a handle on the end and side, but no shoulder strap.

Despite my initial mixed views, this case has turned out rather well.

Although I would have liked to have had a pocket large enough to hold my music folder, and a ring to attach a trumpet mute bag, when it came to packing for gigs, I realised that I needed to carry more than I could fit in a case anyway, such as a lunch box, flask and spare folders for deps.

I'm therefore keeping my usual Protec trombone mute bag as an accessory bag, and replacing my trumpet and cornet case with this double one.

As a replacement for separate trumpet and cornet cases, this case has turned out to be a big success. It is surprisingly small, not very heavy and comfortable to carry on your back, or by the side and end handles.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: